Hearing / IEM frequency response testing
Dec 5, 2010 at 3:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

kcuFdlO

New Head-Fier
[size=medium]The purpose of this thread is to see if I could get some folks to take this test for themselves, and through comparison learn where we are with regard to our hearing abilities.  As a member of the Baby Boomer Generation I have concerns about my hearing not being what it once was. I guess there is no crying over it but I thought I would see what I could figure out without going to an audiologist. [/size]
[size=medium]I found a site that has an array of frequencies by dB levels. I used this array to construct a graph of my hearing. Although the instructions at the site are for the user to select a dB level of the 1Hz band and then attempt to match that volume level at each of the other frequencies, I chose to alter these instructions. [/size]

[size=12pt]How I tested [/size]
[size=medium]I began at the lowest dB and frequency. I continued up the volume levels or db ratings until I could hear the tone and stopped. I then moved on to the next higher frequency and repeated my test. I continued along this way until I have completed the entire array. [/size][size=medium]http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/jw/hearing.html[/size]
[size=medium]After completing  the test I would perform a screen capture and save the image of the array. I would then perform a refresh to clear the array of the previous result.[/size]

[size=12pt]Equipment[/size]

[size=medium]For consistency between the three IEMs I used, they were each plugged into an amplifier/DAC with the volume setting the same for each. Over the IEMs I wore a set of Peltor  President  high attenuation headset normally used at the pistol range. [/size]
[size=medium]At the volume levels I was listening with this setup, my heartbeat and breathing were much louder than the tones.[/size]
  1. [size=medium]Fiio E7 (volume setting 10 / EQ 1)[/size]
  2. [size=medium]Peltor President Headset[/size]
  3. [size=medium]Skull Candy Ink’d [/size]
  4. [size=medium]Sennhiesser CX-300 II [/size]
  5. [size=medium]Denon AH C560R[/size]

[size=12pt]Conclusions[/size]

[size=medium]After completing the testing I columned the results in an excel spreadsheet to produce this report. It serves two purposes. [/size]
  • [size=medium]It shows the performance of the IEMs used [/size]
  • [size=medium]My ability to hear these frequencies[/size]

[size=10pt]Although this graph would make it appear that I am unable to hear tones above 12kHz it is not entirely correct. At a second site I found test frequencies up to 20kHz. I am able to hear tones up to 18kHz, but it requires higher dB levels outside this test capability. For example: If I was allowed to raise the power of the Fiio amp to level 30 I could hear the tones at the 16kHz level. Here is the second signal generator I used to go above the 16kHz level. [/size]http://www.hearingfrequencytest.com/

[size=medium]Comparing these tones to those produced by various musical instruments, there may be some sounds that I am missing in the music I am listening to normally, but as I stated at the beginning of this thread I can’t cry about it now. This is analogous of complaining that I can't see infrared. I have never been able to see infrared and can only guess at what it would be like. If at one point in my life I was able to hear these tones, I never tested myself and cannot therefore determine if music sounded any different to me they than it does now. I do know what I can hear and that I can tell what I like and don’t like.[/size]
[size=medium]What I can say is that the tones above 16kHz that I did hear when sufficiently amplified were not pleasant to listen to and if these are what I am missing that is fine by me.  [/size]

[size=medium][/size]
[size=medium] [/size]

Dec 9, 2010 at 1:25 PM Post #2 of 2
None of those headphones are designed for audiometric tests, and thus are not very reliable. As for worrying about your hearing responses - the functions of frequencies over ~8000khz are extremely low. At 10khz you have some cymbal shimmer, but other than that it's mostly harmonics which gives a more distinct differentiation between similar sounds (eg if someone was to change to a metal mouthpiece on a saxophone).  I wouldn't worry too much about your hearing. If you are truly concerned, I highly recommend seeing an audiologist and, during the appointment ask them about extreme frequencies (as many will just test up to 8khz).

You're not receiving any severe impact from your frequency range (if it drops off at 16khz, for example), as the first harmonic of 10khz (cymbal shimmer, for example) is 20khz - i.e. that's only an octave. People already hear treble quietly, and harmonics are very quite with respect to the source (essentially inaudible because of the way the audition process works). At that range, you're actually looking at many harmonics above the fundamental which are useless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back