Headroom recommendations for audiophile startup
Nov 9, 2007 at 4:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

StickMang

New Head-Fier
I am very new to this audiophile gig. From what I've read on these forums, people are very helpful in getting a n00b started down the irrevocable path to the Dark Side of audio bliss, so I would love all help.

I am posting here because I have enjoyed reading the Headroom site, and the descriptions of the products, and it seems that there's a wide variety of headphones and amps from which to chose with varying price and entry points.

I am obviously disappointed in my iBuds, and with my Sony Street Style headphones, and I use mostly an iPod as my source (occasionally an analog out CD player). I would also consider using my laptop with iTunes or WMP.

Assuming I step right in with a well-reviewed headphone like the Sennheiser HD595, what would be the best source to achieve improved listening? Can I get great sound from the iPod, or is it better directly from the CD or from a laptop with USB?

Secondly, what products would you recommend with those various sources. I don't want to buy too much product, but I want to balance performance as well.

Would that be a 2007 Micro Amp with my iPod, or Micro Stack with my laptop, or is there incremental improvements with the Ultra Micro Amp or the Ultra Amp and DAC stack? Or should I go back to the Mobile series since the iPod is not enough of a source to get sonic quality from the Micro or Ultra Micro amps?

Please help this confused, but enthusiastic n00b; thanks up front.

And please re-direct me if I am posting in the wrong area, and apologies if so.

-Mang

Nov 9, 2007 at 10:12 PM Post #2 of 11
Welcome aboard, StickMang! Sorry about your wallet.
wink.gif

From my n00b perspective, getting a good pair of cans (like the ones you have already picked out) *and* a headphone amp is a great start. Where you start is entirely up to your budget, and how eager you are to jump in. The iPod has a surprisingly good analog out, so an amp is definitely not wasted on it.

You can get an amp for as little as $99 (the Total Airhead) and it will make a huge difference. If you can swing an extra $50, get the bithead instead, as you can use the USB to connect to your laptop, and it will sound much better than using the laptop's audio out. The bithead is what I started with, and it is still a valuable travelling companion.

The next big jump would be moving to a bigger amp, such as the micro line. The difference in sound quality between something like this and the bithead is not as huge as that between no amp and a bithead, but it is remarkable nonetheless. From there you can continue "down the irrevocable path to the Dark Side of audio bliss", and spend increasing amounts of money for the ever next level of audio refinement.

Your ears will never be the same again.
580smile.gif

Nov 26, 2007 at 11:50 PM Post #3 of 11
I agree, the Bithead is a great start. But once you buy a great pair of headphones like the HD555's, the ipod's lacking sound quality will stand out. If you are using just an ipod I can suggest a Ray Samuels Audio mobile line amp, but with a computer a DAC is almost required. Stock computer sound cards suck. Headroom makes great stuff, and the bithead is a very "safe" way to go.

Nov 27, 2007 at 12:28 AM Post #4 of 11
What's your budget? The easiest way for us to help you is if you give us a budget and what you're trying to accomplish (do you want your set-up to be portable? what kind of music do you listen to the most? Amongst bass/voice/treble, which part is the most important to you? etc).

Welcome to head-fi. You know what they say.

Nov 28, 2007 at 1:29 PM Post #5 of 11
Thank you all for your warm welcome, your detailed questions and willingness to help.

I am interested in a desktop setup for my desk at home and office. I was hoping that it was portable enough to bring back and forth, but not necessary portable per se, in that I'm not using it during exercise. I would use this forst with my iPod, then secondly with my computer. My hope was to hold the entire cost to less than $1k with the cans.

My musical tastes are varied and eclectic. I enjoy vocal performance (arias, vocal performance), classical (orchestral, movie scores), guitar (classical, shred), rock and heavy metal, even dabbling into varying forms of electronica.

Given I am only familiar with Headroom's website, it seemed that the Micro amp and Micro DAC, with Sennheisser HD595s seemed appropriate.

Given that, I just don't know the law of diminishing returns for better quipemnt with new ears. I don't know whether to the incremental costs of the Max upgrades (whether as Ultra Micro amp & DAC or amped Desktop system, and the requisite power supplies) was worthy of the incremental costs...likely another $1k.

If you have any recommendations, guidance, or alternatives, or require more information, it would be most appreciated.

Thanks!
-Mang

Nov 29, 2007 at 1:03 AM Post #6 of 11
transportable sounds like the word and the the new Micro line sure fits into that catagory.

you do not need a DAC for the iPod but it is sure nice with a computer.

the MicroAmp and DAC and Ultra MicroAmp and DAC run off AC so you would need to carry the Power Supplies with you unless you got an extra two to keep at the office. the Power Supplies are as big as the Micro units themselves. or do you just use the iPod at work? if so then you would only need to carry the one unit and Power Supply.

have you even considered the Portable MicroAmp? you can get the added upgrade of the DAC built into the one unit to use when on the computer. plus it's suppose to get about 20 hours off a single charge which should be more than enough for a day at the office. this way you can leave the Power Supply at home, carry it with you or even get a second for the office. even with the PS connected it always runs off the internal battery supply(which many would say is a cleaner source of power). still not quite an exercise amp but a bit more transportable that two Micro units and two PS or the Desktop line. and it's a good match for the iPod and then you would have a complete battery supplied portable rig for those certain occasions.

if you are using it with the computer at home and the iPod at work you could forget all about getting the internal DAC and purchase either the MicroDAC or Ultra MicroDAC. the Portable MicroAmp is suppose to get longer battery life without the internal DAC which is always on. then later on you could get the matching MicroAmp or Ultra and keep them as your home rig. or forget that and just go with one of the DesktopAmps later on when money allows.

I have not heard any of the new Micro line but I do own the MicroAmp w/ 2006 Desktop Module and the MicroDAC. the MicroStack is one great little rig! the new Portable MicroAmp is suppose to be a match to it then the rest of the new Micro line goes up from there in sound quality. it will also easily drive the HD595's which I had for a short while. the Grado RS1's will be at my door in a matter of days and I will use the MicroStack to drive them until I myself can afford to go up the HeadRoom line.

I think the MicroStack is easily a transportable rig, even with both PS. one reaso I got the Stack but I could not see meself carrying all that back and forth to work everyday. I use my Stack mostly at home hooked up to me iMac.

I'm a bit tired so I hope you understand where I am coming from..

Nov 29, 2007 at 2:56 AM Post #7 of 11
Mang, welcome to Head-Fi and sorry about your wallet.

I'm guessing by your picture that you live in Austin, lucky you.

I have owned a Headroom Desktop Amp and a MicroDAC. Headroom has excellent customer service with both sales and support.

Based on your use I would suggest the Portable Micro Amp with DAC; it will be easier to carry around than the transportable and will have much less clutter than seperate amp, DAC, interconnects, and power supplies.

Nov 29, 2007 at 2:57 AM Post #8 of 11
Great advice so far, to which I'll add:

Also ask these questions out in the open forums so that you'll get non-HeadRoom centric advice. These guys are very well behaved and will honor the area they're in here, and will give you good advice relative to our product. But there are many choices that you can learn about elsewhere too.

If you're even thinking of any of our amps beyond the AirHead or BitHead, you should be thinking of top-of-the-line headphones first. The headphones are the most important bit; don't over buy on amps when they'll just be limited by your cans. If you ask me, I'd say that means HD650, K701, and Beyer DT880.

Are you sure you don't need IEMs? If they would serve you well you can get pretty good sound without investing in an amp yet.

Then, once you get to needing an amp, any of the new Micros will satisfy. Yes, the Ultras are that much better, but it's a lot of money, make sure you can really afford it.

Nov 29, 2007 at 3:40 AM Post #9 of 11
I also suggest starting with some of the higher-in-the-line headphones like the Senn HD650 and AKG K701. As Tyll mentions, even the Beyer DT880 will serve you well. If you get a nice set of cans now, you will be rewarded with each and every upgrade you make down the chain, in terms of source, amplification and connection-related peripherals. You ok with open headphones at work? Is sound leakage an issue? In other words, if others can hear sound out of your headphones while you are wearing them, will that be a problem?

Nov 29, 2007 at 4:00 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're even thinking of any of our amps beyond the AirHead or BitHead, you should be thinking of top-of-the-line headphones first. The headphones are the most important bit; don't over buy on amps when they'll just be limited by your cans. If you ask me, I'd say that means HD650, K701, and Beyer DT880.

edit: listen to Tyll here!

I'm finally getting me some better headphones! q:O) next time I can afford to get another set of headphones I may try the K701 or DT880 since HeadRoom likes them so much. I think Mike said the K701's were his favorite.

thanks Tyll for the Discount HeadRoom is offering right now. it sure took a little of the blow away when purchasing the RS1's and I cannot wait to get them. hopefully they will be here by the weekend, yes..

Nov 29, 2007 at 4:21 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also ask these questions out in the open forums so that you'll get non-HeadRoom centric advice. These guys are very well behaved and will honor the area they're in here, and will give you good advice relative to our product. But there are many choices that you can learn about elsewhere too.

well behaved but HeadRoom is one of, if not the best company I have ever dealt with. when I first got me MicroAmp I had a small issue not knowing if it was coming from the amp or me system. to be on the safe side HeadRoom had a replacement MicroAmp FedEx to me like chop chop, pronto that day! other than totally digging their products HeadRoom has me loyalty for that one move for they did not let me live with a product that was below their expectations.

I have to admit there are two other companies that I was considering before I purchased the MicroStack and would still love to own a couple of the products but it is HeadRooms product features that I dig the most. there are several tube amps that I would love to hear but I doubt I will ever purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back