Headroom crossfeed
Sep 1, 2002 at 7:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

OneMalt

500+ Head-Fier
Does anyone else feel that the Headroom crossfeed filter, while absolutely improving imaging and soundstage, does so at the expense of some of the detail? I'm basing my observation on the Cosmic and making an assumption that it holds true throughout the line.

Sep 1, 2002 at 9:12 PM Post #2 of 11
Do you really mean cutting *detail* or cutting high-end? The CF def. does something to the high-end, which to me qualifies as cutting detail as well, and it was one of the reasons for me to get the Cosmic with its selectable brightness afterall. I wanted that treble back, and that was a no-go with the TAH
wink.gif

I will do some listening with the CF off, although I already am a CF-addict.
Do you have a reference track for your experience? My personal one atm is Björk's "Headphones", but rather for imaging and stage, not for excessive detail...

Sep 1, 2002 at 9:39 PM Post #3 of 11
I find that it depends on the recording.

E.g. MA Recordings use two Microphone capsules to do real stereo field recordings (usually in highly reverberant surroundings as well). In these, diffuse field recordings, CF does not improve imaging and may cause some loss of HF details.

Regular (i.e. non stereo) recordings usually gain from the CF process and the loss of HF information can be negated using the filter.

AssafL

Sep 2, 2002 at 3:56 AM Post #4 of 11
I'm not so sure it's that it cuts the high end, as much as it boosts the bass (in my book, there is a difference).

For me, it also seems to depend on the recording. I find that I sometimes feel like my TA (and when I had it, my Little) presents as a tad bit warm on most newer recordings (i.e. after 1970 or so). However, if I pop something like "Rubber Soul" by the Beatles in (love those old mixes...vocals in one ear, instruments in the other), I don't notice it at all. That tells me that the detail is not actually lost as much as it's burried with bass.

I have no idea why this is...I just know that it is.
confused.gif

Sep 2, 2002 at 3:58 AM Post #5 of 11
Am I the only person who has trouble with double postings?

mad.gif

Sep 2, 2002 at 4:11 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by elrod-tom
Am I the only person who has trouble with double postings?

mad.gif

do you double-click? on web, you only need single clicks on most things.

Sep 2, 2002 at 4:47 AM Post #7 of 11
No...I don't double click. Sometimes I hang up in the middle of one of these postings, and it times out. Then, when I resend, it's already there!!

mad.gif

Sep 2, 2002 at 6:26 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by elrod-tom
I'm not so sure it's that it cuts the high end, as much as it boosts the bass (in my book, there is a difference).

elrod-tom: you're talking about the Total Airhead, correct?

It should be pointed out that the crossfeed on the Airhead and TA (and possibly the Little) affects the spectrum *much* differently than the crossfeed circuitry of some of the better models. I find that on the Total Airhead, there is a bit of a bass boost. On the other hand, on the other end of the spectrum, the Max has no bass boost whatsoever, but there is a slight treble reduction (which I and many others compensate for by using the filter switch).

Sep 2, 2002 at 11:46 AM Post #9 of 11
Thanks MacDEF...I wasn't aware that there was a difference in the crossfeed circuits between models.

Although if I REALLY thought about it, it might have occured to me that there would be a difference between say the TA and the MAX.

redface.gif
DOH!!

Sep 2, 2002 at 4:09 PM Post #10 of 11
I agree with MacDEF on the crossfeed on the TAH. It doesn't cut the highs - but rather it boosts the mid-bass response, however slightly.

Sep 2, 2002 at 5:51 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Oliver
smily_headphones1.gif

Do you have a reference track for your experience? My personal one atm is Björk's "Headphones", but rather for imaging and stage, not for excessive detail...

Ouch!!

I've had the CD 'Post' for many years, but never really played it... I just listened to it through my META42 and CD1700s and got a bass headache... that is some seriously messed up frequencies that the recording studio used!!

The soundstage is already very wide on this track, so does X-Feed close the soundstage down? make it flatter?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back