HeadRoom 9-V Micro Amp & DAC Stack/ SPECIAL OFFER!
Mar 19, 2008 at 8:28 AM Post #31 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by JorgeC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...We've found the 9.6v MaHa batteries to sound slightly superior versus the lower voltage rechargeables we have tried --along with a tiny bit better battery life as well.
biggrin.gif

Cheers,
Jorge
HR Sales/Product Manager

Okay, so my suspicions were correct, time to order some batteries tomorrow.

Mar 19, 2008 at 10:20 PM Post #33 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Email sent for that one!
biggrin.gif

DONE DEAL, Thanks, Marvin!

HeadRoom Micro Stack Bags are discontinued/no longer available.
frown.gif

Cheers,
Jorge
HR Sales/Product Manager

Mar 19, 2008 at 10:29 PM Post #34 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by FmrAmInAm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I took advantage of the offer and got the whole deal: MicroStack and bag, and having never used a dedicated DAC before, I have to say that I'm really amazed at how much of a difference the DAC makes (I'm using the optical outs of my MacBook Pro and an Airport Express). The amp, as well, sounds great and is a definite improvement over my old (2AA-battery) Total AirHead.

I have noticed one thing, though, that I'm wondering about. If I use the amp with batteries (I've tried both Energizer alkalines and Ultralife non-rechargeable lithiums), there are certain moments in certain tracks that reliably lead to distortion, using either my (new) K701s or (old) K240Ms. If I use AC power, there's no distortion, and in fact, if I just use the headphone jack of my MacBook Pro with the K701s (there's no point in trying to use it with my K240Ms), I can also get similar volume levels without distortion. At first I thought it was just that my batteries were dying, since I first noticed it after about 4 hours off battery use, but when I swapped out the alkalines for the lithiums, I had the same problem.

If anyone has any info on what I can expect from batteries or what batteries I should be using, that would be great. It's not really a big deal, since I got the MicroStack to use primarily at work at my desk and at home with the Airport Express.

David

P.S. I should also say that it's always a great experience dealing with HeadRoom, and I'd recommend them to anyone. Thanks, guys!

Thanks for your business & kind comments, FmrAmInAm... and "Sorry About Your Wallet"! (first post Head-Fi greeting)
smily_headphones1.gif

The battery issue is puzzling... could be the 9-v batteries are not making solid contact at the terminals?.... Just out of curiosity are you hearing the same thing with fresh Duracells too?

I will bring this to Mike's attention (HR Repair Dept Manager) asap and see what comments he's got....

Cheers,
Jorge
HR Sales/Product Manager

Mar 21, 2008 at 5:05 AM Post #36 of 45
I just got two pairs of fresh Duracell 9-volts and put them in the amp and DAC (even though the DAC pretty clearly isn't the problem). With my (old) K240Ms, the problem is greatly minimized, but with my (new) K701s, it's only a little better.

If it helps at all, this problem mostly surfaces in recordings of one-to-a-part performances of Renaissance choral music, in passages where the soprano is singing high in her range. My collection is a mix of MP3s and AACs ripped at 128, 192, and 256kbps (mostly 192 kbps), and I'm using iTunes on my MacBook Pro, connected to the Micro DAC with the optical out.

Anyhow, I have another pair of power supplies on order, and once I get them, I won't be using batteries at all, really, so it's not a big deal. I mostly got the MicroStack so I could have something transportable to bring between home and the office---my limited portable needs are still covered by my iPhone and Shure SE210s.

Thanks,
David

Mar 21, 2008 at 6:56 PM Post #37 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by FmrAmInAm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got two pairs of fresh Duracell 9-volts and put them in the amp and DAC (even though the DAC pretty clearly isn't the problem). With my (old) K240Ms, the problem is greatly minimized, but with my (new) K701s, it's only a little better.

If it helps at all, this problem mostly surfaces in recordings of one-to-a-part performances of Renaissance choral music, in passages where the soprano is singing high in her range. My collection is a mix of MP3s and AACs ripped at 128, 192, and 256kbps (mostly 192 kbps), and I'm using iTunes on my MacBook Pro, connected to the Micro DAC with the optical out.

Anyhow, I have another pair of power supplies on order, and once I get them, I won't be using batteries at all, really, so it's not a big deal. I mostly got the MicroStack so I could have something transportable to bring between home and the office---my limited portable needs are still covered by my iPhone and Shure SE210s.

Thanks,
David

try again with the original CD's if you have them. it could be the files themselves.

there is an old song that I hear once in awhile on the radio of which I listen to through me 2006 Micro Amp w/ DM and DAC. it just about blows me away hearing it through this setup and me RS1's. these radio stations come in crystal clear. I decided to download the song off iTunes in AAC. that download sounds horrible with distortion compared to what I was listening to off the radio.

Mar 21, 2008 at 10:32 PM Post #38 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by noseallinit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
try again with the original CD's if you have them. it could be the files themselves.

there is an old song that I hear once in awhile on the radio of which I listen to through me 2006 Micro Amp w/ DM and DAC. it just about blows me away hearing it through this setup and me RS1's. these radio stations come in crystal clear. I decided to download the song off iTunes in AAC. that download sounds horrible with distortion compared to what I was listening to off the radio.

Unfortunately, my bulk of my CD collection is in storage in NJ, while I'm out on the opposite coast. In general, you're probably right about the rips; after moving from 128 to 192 to 256 over the years, I've finally decided that disk space is cheap to just rip everything as both lossless (for home) and lossy (for the laptop and the iPhone).

In these particular cases, though, the problem doesn't seem to be the files, since with AC power to the amp (or plugging the DAC into my NAD 302 and using its headphone out), there's none of this distortion. It really seems to be something with the 9-volts.

David

Mar 22, 2008 at 1:53 AM Post #39 of 45
Thanks for giving it a shot with the Duracells, FmrAmInAm...

After talking to Mike, we are slightly concerned something may be up with 9-volt ps circuit. Given that the issue might perhaps not be due to the digital file quality, i would feel better giving your Micro units the once-over here at HR and seeing what, if anything, we can find.

If it proves that something is indeed up with the Micro Amp, we'll be glad to fix or replace at no charge.

Let me know what you think, David....
redface.gif

Cheers,
Jorge
HR Sales/Product Manager

Mar 23, 2008 at 8:54 PM Post #40 of 45
Quote:

After talking to Mike, we are slightly concerned something may be up with 9-volt ps circuit. Given that the issue might perhaps not be due to the digital file quality, i would feel better giving your Micro units the once-over here at HR and seeing what, if anything, we can find.

If it proves that something is indeed up with the Micro Amp, we'll be glad to fix or replace at no charge.

Let me know what you think, David....
redface.gif

It'll be tough to be separated from them (I've quickly gotten used to having next to my computer all the time), but if you think it's worth checking out, I'll send them back in.

Thanks very much for looking into this!

David

Apr 4, 2008 at 11:45 PM Post #41 of 45
eek.gif

Just wanted to say last ever brand-new 9-volt HeadRoom Micro DAC device on our 'B-stock' webpage!... yep, only one left SOOOOOO
eek.gif

We made about twice the number of 9v Micro Amps -- those should be around for at least another couple of weeks i thinks.
biggrin.gif

Thanks everyone... MUCH appreciated!

CHEERS,
Jorge
HR Sales & Product Manager

Apr 5, 2008 at 5:09 AM Post #42 of 45
i will not buy a spare...i will NOT by a spare...i WILL NOT buy a spare...I WILL NOT BUY a spare...I WILL NOT BUY A SPARE...i will not buy a spare...i will NOT by a spare...i WILL NOT buy a spare...I WILL NOT BUY a spare...I WILL NOT BUY A SPARE...i will not buy a spare...i will NOT by a spare...i WILL NOT buy a spare...I WILL NOT BUY a spare...I WILL NOT BUY A SPARE...i will not buy a spare...i will NOT by a spare...i WILL NOT buy a spare...I WILL NOT BUY a spare...I WILL NOT BUY A SPARE...i will not buy a spare...i will NOT by a spare...i WILL NOT buy a spare...I WILL NOT BUY a spare...I WILL NOT BUY A SPARE...i will not buy a spare...i will NOT by a spare...i WILL NOT buy a spare...I WILL NOT BUY a spare...I WILL NOT BUY A SPARE...i will not buy a spare...i will NOT by a spare...i WILL NOT buy a spare...I WILL NOT BUY a spare...I WILL NOT BUY A SPARE...i will not buy a spare...i will NOT by a spare...i WILL NOT buy a spare...I WILL NOT BUY a spare...I WILL NOT BUY A SPARE...i will not buy a spare...i will NOT by a spare...i WILL NOT buy a spare...I WILL NOT BUY a spare...I WILL NOT BUY A SPARE...i will not buy a spare...i will NOT by a spare...i WILL NOT buy a spare...I WILL NOT BUY a spare...I WILL NOT BUY A SPARE...i will not buy a spare...i will NOT by a spare...i WILL NOT buy a spare...I WILL NOT BUY a spare...I WILL NOT BUY A SPARE...i will not buy a spare...i will NOT by a spare...i WILL NOT buy a spare...I WILL NOT BUY a spare...I WILL NOT BUY A SPARE...i will not buy a spare...i will NOT by a spare...i WILL NOT buy a spare...I WILL NOT BUY a spare...I WILL NOT BUY A SPARE...i will not buy a spare...i will NOT by a spare...i WILL NOT buy a spare...I WILL NOT BUY a spare...I WILL NOT BUY A SPARE...

Apr 9, 2008 at 3:58 AM Post #44 of 45
Quote:

..... about a dozen HeadRoom Micro Amps (9-volt) still left!
wink.gif

Thanks again to all Head-Fiers and see ya'll at Can-Jam!..... mmmm, warm n' toasty Ft.Lauderdale
cool.gif

CHEERS,
Jorge
HR Sales & Product Manager

Thank God, I've been chanting the "I will not buy a spare" since the 4th, and I can stop now. Whew!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back