Headphones that will take advantage of Magni/Modi stack
Oct 28, 2014 at 8:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

ErikV55

100+ Head-Fier
Hello All, I'll keep this short. I have a bunch of amazon giftcards from work on their way to me, and I want to kill them in a decent headphone set up with my laptop acting as the source. One thing I know for sure. I'll be purchasing the Schiit Magni/Modi stack. What is a decently nice pair of headphones that can take advantage of the output on this stack? I was thinking the hd 598 before, but I've heard they won't really take advantage of that power. Maybe the hd600, hd650? Budget is anywhere between $150-$300. Willing to go a little higher if I need to. 

I listen to rock/metal/hardcore exclusively, so perhaps something with a little bass. Thanks all!

Oct 29, 2014 at 4:37 PM Post #2 of 3
  Hello All, I'll keep this short. I have a bunch of amazon gift cards from work on their way to me, and I want to kill them in a decent headphone set up with my laptop acting as the source. One thing I know for sure. I'll be purchasing the Schiit Magni/Modi stack. What is a decently nice pair of headphones that can take advantage of the output on this stack? I was thinking the HD598 before, but I've heard they won't really take advantage of that power. Maybe the hd600, hd650? Budget is anywhere between $150-$300. Willing to go a little higher if I need to. 

I listen to rock/metal/hardcore exclusively, so perhaps something with a little bass. Thanks all!

My best guess is the 300-Ohm Sennheiser HD600/HD650 will offer some really good sounding music audio, at least better then the HD598.

My best sounding headphone are Audio Technica ATH-W1000X ($550 new) and they are only 40-Ohm.
So you do not need to get high impedance (Ohm) headphones, that require more voltage, to have nice sound.

Oct 29, 2014 at 5:53 PM Post #3 of 3

My best guess is the 300-Ohm Sennheiser HD600/HD650 will offer some really good sounding music audio, at least better then the HD598.

My best sounding headphone are Audio Technica ATH-W1000X ($550 new) and they are only 40-Ohm.
So you do not need to get high impedance (Ohm) headphones, that require more voltage, to have nice sound.

I was having similar thoughts. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back