Headphones recommendation for $220 or less
Oct 31, 2014 at 2:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

ChristianM

100+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone.
Seeking your help to buy over/around ear, closed back headphones for around $220 or less, mainly for music (heavy, death metal, hardcore etc.) and a little bit of hip-hop sometimes. The only headphones I own is Beats Studio old version which was a gift and using it for two and a half year.
HPs source is PC only with iTunes (latest, 12) and onboard Realtek ALC1150. I listen a little loud music that’s why I can’t buy open back.
Also need your suggestion for this:
Should I buy Audio Technica M50(s) or V-Moda LP1 etc. + SoundBlaster Z (refurbished) and save a little bit money maybe OR
Should I spent all the money in decent headphones that’s good enough with ALC1150?
I don't know much about sound all I can say I want balanced sound, not too much bass just a good sound.
Quite frankly, I don’t like the look of M50 and the portability, all the twist and turn. I don’t mind if the HPs doesn’t even fold ‘cuz it’s gonna be in my PC desk all the time.
I don’t live in the US, someone will help me buy them from Amazon only.
Thanks for reading, hope this forum will help.

Oct 31, 2014 at 2:28 AM Post #2 of 14
I think you might like the Logitech UE 6000 or the Sound Magic HP 100/150

both have a simmilar ish sound and should be on Amazon, the UE 6000 does NOT NEED AN AMP, the HP 100/150 is better with one 

Oct 31, 2014 at 5:54 AM Post #6 of 14
thanks for replies. actually I don't need headset (mic) i have no use of it. i don't chat etc. NAD VISO HP50 have good reviews but sadly it's way over my budget. but i'm reading good reviews about soundmagic hp150, it's new model so i don't see much videos on youtube. but still waiting for more suggestions. thanks

Oct 31, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #8 of 14
  How the AudioTechnica M50(s) or V-Moda LP1 will sound with SoundBlaste Z?

Just fine, both are easy to drive headphones and don't need a powerful amp 

Oct 31, 2014 at 12:47 PM Post #9 of 14
I think you might like the Logitech UE 6000 or the Sound Magic HP 100/150

both have a simmilar ish sound and should be on Amazon, the UE 6000 does NOT NEED AN AMP, the HP 100/150 is better with one 

I don't find the UE6000 and HP150s similar at all. The UE6000 is a much warmer and darker headphone to my ears. While I can see why many people would like it, it was not for me.

Oct 31, 2014 at 1:46 PM Post #10 of 14
I don't find the UE6000 and HP150s similar at all. The UE6000 is a much warmer and darker headphone to my ears. While I can see why many people would like it, it was not for me.

Are we talking about Active Mode or Passive, I found the active mode to be simmilar to what I got from my HP 100, though the HP 100 was much more transparent, meh Shame on me it was late lol

I think Right out of a Cell Phone your going to get a simmilar sound out of the Active UE 6000 and the HP 150/100, how ever amped or ran out of a better source the HP 100/150 is going to be much cleaner overall 

Heck I used my Hp 100 with a iBasso DB1 and PB1 stack and I enjoyed it a lot! The UE 6000 I used right out of my HM801 On Board, though that might explain why I felt the two sounded Simmilar

still if your coming out of something on the warm side, like any and most iDevices or Celluar Phones I think the UE 6000 is going to work best, if your plan is to get a Cleaner Sources such as a USb Dac or any number of the "audiophile" Digital Audio Players, then I think the HP 100/150 is going to serve you better 

Oct 31, 2014 at 2:41 PM Post #11 of 14
How's the sound of HP150 without any amp or soundcard like SBZ in computer with ALC1150 only? I never use any soundcard or AMP before and still not using any with Beats Studio old ver. but I really don't know much about sound. I watched two youtube videos of HP150 and both have positive reviews regarding sound. also read reviews here at head-fi. I only have money for one headphone which i'm gonna use for at least 3 years or maybe more so I don't wanna waste it.
thanks

Oct 31, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #12 of 14
How's the sound of HP150 without any amp or soundcard like SBZ in computer with ALC1150 only? I never use any soundcard or AMP before and still not using any with Beats Studio old ver. but I really don't know much about sound. I watched two youtube videos of HP150 and both have positive reviews regarding sound. also read reviews here at head-fi. I only have money for one headphone which i'm gonna use for at least 3 years or maybe more so I don't wanna waste it.
thanks

The HP 150 should do fine with an entry level Sound Card out of your Computer 

Nov 2, 2014 at 4:02 AM Post #13 of 14
A little bit more help will be appreciated, I narrowed down my options to these three and need your final thoughts.
Sennheiser Momentum (open box)
Sennheiser Urbanite XL (open box)
V-Moda LP2 (new)
black Friday is coming maybe I can get Momentum or Urbanite XL in sale but open box should be good if it's worth it. I can't be worried about the warranty as I don't live in the US
Kindly share your final thoughts,  I have money only for one.
thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back