Headphone Tube Amps - The hunt for all 300B TUBE AMPS
May 5, 2023 at 1:06 PM Post #2,356 of 2,883
If you were trying to sculp a tone with the wa5 for planar headphone what tube would you recommend? I will have the Arya early next week but I also have the LCD xc.
If you want to add speed and incisiveness to play to the strengths of planars my recommendation would be to start with rectifiers that have the lowest possible voltage drop. 5AR4 and GZ33/37 would be good starting points, then you can work your way out from there finding a driver whose tone and presentation matches what you're looking for.

May 5, 2023 at 3:04 PM Post #2,357 of 2,883
If you want to add speed and incisiveness to play to the strengths of planars my recommendation would be to start with rectifiers that have the lowest possible voltage drop. 5AR4 and GZ33/37 would be good starting points, then you can work your way out from there finding a driver whose tone and presentation matches what you're looking for.
What brands of those would you recommend?

May 5, 2023 at 3:06 PM Post #2,358 of 2,883
Are the jjs previously mentioned worth the buy?

May 5, 2023 at 6:23 PM Post #2,359 of 2,883
What brands of those would you recommend?
The GZ33 and 37 haven't been reproduced to my knowledge so you would have to look for NOS Mullards there. There are many 5AR4 options both new and old. JJ makes one that's very inexpensive that would be an easy low-risk way of finding out if you like what a 5AR4 does to the sound of your system.

This is a massive generalization but a rough rule of thumb is the more voltage drop you have in your rectifier the more "romantic" and slow of a sound you'll get, and vise-versa less Vdrop will tighten up the sound. This is all very circuit dependent of course...... like I said a massive generalization, but if you're experimenting with rectifiers and don't want to buy them at random this might help you with choosing a direction.

May 6, 2023 at 5:53 AM Post #2,360 of 2,883
IMG_0759.jpeg
IMG_0761.jpeg
Once upon a time there was a tube amp manufacturer called Leo Research and the designer has since retired in Singapore. From having a factory in his younger days, he now manages a quaint audio shop and provides tube amp repair/modification as a hobby. I asked if he had a 300b amp that can have enough power for a Susvara and also a speaker out.He offered that he could add a proper headphone output to one of his amps of his own design. It sounds amazing with both my ZMFs and Susvara. He also tweaked it so that it performs optimally with this NGG Guiguang 300b. Not very popular but it sounds so good!

May 6, 2023 at 10:03 AM Post #2,361 of 2,883
IMG_0759.jpegIMG_0761.jpeg Once upon a time there was a tube amp manufacturer called Leo Research and the designer has since retired in Singapore. From having a factory in his younger days, he now manages a quaint audio shop and provides tube amp repair/modification as a hobby. I asked if he had a 300b amp that can have enough power for a Susvara and also a speaker out.He offered that he could add a proper headphone output to one of his amps of his own design. It sounds amazing with both my ZMFs and Susvara. He also tweaked it so that it performs optimally with this NGG Guiguang 300b. Not very popular but it sounds so good!
Success story.

I bet your amp is better than all of us. Hope you keep this to the end of times.

May 6, 2023 at 10:41 AM Post #2,362 of 2,883
IMG_0759.jpegIMG_0761.jpeg Once upon a time there was a tube amp manufacturer called Leo Research and the designer has since retired in Singapore. From having a factory in his younger days, he now manages a quaint audio shop and provides tube amp repair/modification as a hobby. I asked if he had a 300b amp that can have enough power for a Susvara and also a speaker out.He offered that he could add a proper headphone output to one of his amps of his own design. It sounds amazing with both my ZMFs and Susvara. He also tweaked it so that it performs optimally with this NGG Guiguang 300b. Not very popular but it sounds so good!
That's a beauty. What does it use for rectifier?

May 6, 2023 at 11:16 AM Post #2,363 of 2,883
That's a beauty. What does it use for rectifier?
Thanks. My guess is a solid state rectifier, something like the Feliks Envy. They both use the exact tubes and share a very similar footprint.

May 6, 2023 at 11:22 AM Post #2,364 of 2,883
Success story.

I bet your amp is better than all of us. Hope you keep this to the end of times.
Thanks, I wouldn’t know how much better because I have not heard the big names (Riviera, Woo Wa23, Envy, etc) but I can say it sounds better than the Cayin Ha-300b which I almost bought if not for the size.

Yeah this blew my mind and it’s quite hard to share the experience except I guess with local Singapore audiophiles (mostly 2-channel) who’ve supported Mr Lau too. Those who visit Singapore could definitely benefit from visiting his store for a chat. Getting a custom 300b tube amp for speakers and cans from a master who’s been tinkering tube amps for 60 years is an honor for sure.

May 6, 2023 at 2:17 PM Post #2,365 of 2,883
Thanks, I wouldn’t know how much better because I have not heard the big names (Riviera, Woo Wa23, Envy, etc) but I can say it sounds better than the Cayin Ha-300b which I almost bought if not for the size.

Yeah this blew my mind and it’s quite hard to share the experience except I guess with local Singapore audiophiles (mostly 2-channel) who’ve supported Mr Lau too. Those who visit Singapore could definitely benefit from visiting his store for a chat. Getting a custom 300b tube amp for speakers and cans from a master who’s been tinkering tube amps for 60 years is an honor for sure.
I wish there were people like him here in Ireland. No chance of me coming in contact with anyone like that unfortunately ..... I'll have to stick to the forums

May 6, 2023 at 4:37 PM Post #2,366 of 2,883
from a master
Yes, this is the gem of the hobby. Getting a master to make the amp. Similar story to your master, my guy is in his 70s and retired. Good you didn't get the Cayin 😜 it's better to have a original item.

May 7, 2023 at 2:00 AM Post #2,367 of 2,883
Did anyone here try E.A.T 300Bs and can compare them to the good stuff like Elrog, WE300B and Taks?

https://www.technologyfactory.eu/en/eat/tubes/eat-tube-300b-matched-pair/a-3705-10000258
I have the E.A.Ts but haven’t used them since I got the WE & Elrogs.(about 6 months now) I do remember some pretty strong ringing with them and have been meaning to get some dampers to try with them but haven’t gotten around to it. I’ll try and give them a listen when I can and see what differences I hear now that I’ve had other 300bs.

May 7, 2023 at 9:51 AM Post #2,368 of 2,883
Western Electric 91E 300B
$15,000usd - main website
12:00 'dealer' takes the lid off :beerchug:

Last edited:
May 8, 2023 at 8:42 AM Post #2,369 of 2,883
-deleted-

Last edited:
May 8, 2023 at 2:36 PM Post #2,370 of 2,883
First Western Electric Loudspeakers
Private collector, you can see his ego, pride and purpose of life LOL!

Only 40 made, from 1920s, shipped with armed guns pointing at your face :p
History lesson at 2:25sec

From Art collectors, to Car collectors and Audio collectors, all of them are very eccentric people :p , guess we are all part of them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back