Headphone Tube Amps - The hunt for all 300B TUBE AMPS
May 1, 2024 at 11:26 PM Post #2,836 of 2,843
how does it compare to the big boys?

May 1, 2024 at 11:50 PM Post #2,837 of 2,843
Well, in case you didnt know, that good 4300E is also a "cheap low end Chinese rebrand" by PSVANE.
I'm well aware PSVANE builds the 4300E, but its supposed to actually be a good sounding tube. It is also fully built to the specs and design given to them by AN UK and IIRC is using Molybdenum anodes, similar to the ER-300b-mo.

The tubes I'm using currently are a pair of older Shuguang rebrand for stock tube use, so theres a difference there between a mass produced tube for stock tube use so an amp can ship with a pair of tubes to produce sound, and a custom built to exact specification and aiming for a higher level of performance in the 4300e.

Given that there are not many factories actually producing Vacuum Tubes these days, I have no problem with companies contracting out to actually build tubes to their specs. There is a lot of cross pollination in the tube scene between the manufacturers and design teams as it is (especially in china.)

Last edited:
May 2, 2024 at 12:36 AM Post #2,838 of 2,843
Very happy with the Supratek DHT running the 300b's thus far but I've only had a couple days with it. It came with a pair of Audio Note "Carbonized 300b" (not the good 4300e's) so I'm assuming they are a cheap low end chinese rebrand, but even with these there seems to be great promise. Definitely really happy I gave the idea a chance, and look forward to trying out some WE300b's to hear decent "classic" 300b's before I branch out into Elrogs or the Audio Note 4300e's etc...

Its a handsome little unit, if nothing else.

IMG_0176.jpeg
That's handsome indeed. Curious as to what changes it brings to both your Boulder and GG.

May 2, 2024 at 12:48 AM Post #2,839 of 2,843
That's handsome indeed. Curious as to what changes it brings to both your Boulder and GG.
So far the differences are subtler than I thought they might be, but in terms of positives there is slightly more low end, slightly more harmonic richness/warmth (but not tons.) There also just seems to be a bit more "drive" to the sound overall, though thats sort of hard to quantify and a very subjective description. In terms of negatives, there is a bit harshness in the upper mids on some tracks, I'm curious if this is the tubes I'm using, so I'll find out about that eventually.

May 2, 2024 at 1:10 AM Post #2,841 of 2,843
Yes, I can assure you I know, I am just playing along with the bias. Didnt you notice I used apostrophe?
To be clear, I have no bias towards chinese tubes, or equipment in general, and I don't know why you would take that away from my original post in any way.

May 2, 2024 at 1:10 AM Post #2,842 of 2,843
I'm well aware PSVANE builds the 4300E, but its supposed to actually be a good sounding tube. It is also fully built to the specs and design given to them by AN UK and IIRC is using Molybdenum anodes, similar to the ER-300b-mo.
My apology but I always find it skeptical when companies claim design in-house but outsource for production. Like Apple, does Audio Note have an in-house R&D department for tubes? I highly doubt they do. How do they proceed with design and specification without the input from PSVANE? IMO, it is all marketing.

May 2, 2024 at 1:14 AM Post #2,843 of 2,843
My apology but I always find it skeptical when companies claim design in-house but outsource for production. Like Apple, does Audio Note have an in-house R&D department for tubes? I highly doubt they do. How do they proceed with design and specification without the input from PSVANE? IMO, it is all marketing.
Though I don't know about the 4300E specifically, Audio Note UK (post Kondo Split) is one of the few, or perhaps only, that would be in a position to design a tube and have others build it. ANUK not only builds equipment, but has their own lines of parts (capacitors, transformers, resistors, wire etc..) Was there perhaps some collaboration with PSVANE on the final design? I would guess so, you would have to ask ANUK to know for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back