Headphone suggestions for Total Bithead
Dec 6, 2009 at 4:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

agreenmac

New Head-Fier
So I'm new to this whole *high grade* headphone thing and was hoping for a few suggestions. On headphone.com the Total Bithead amp is being sold for 100 bucks when being bought with a pair of cans. I've been wanting to invest in a nice pair of headphones for a while, so i figured I should finally go for it. I've been looking at a few pairs, the Beyerdynamic DT 880's and the Sennheiser HD 595's, based on their price and review on headphone.com. Could anyone vouch for either of these cans, or one in a similar price range? Sorry for my newbiness, but i figured this was the best place to come. thanks in advance!
jecklinsmile.gif

EDIT: As im reading more and more into the Beyer's, I'm getting the hint that the Bithead may not be enough to drive them fully? Thoughts?

Dec 6, 2009 at 7:01 PM Post #2 of 13
You'll probably want to read the Full-Size Headphones forum, wherein you'll see:

1. People who are wrong telling you that the DT 880s are very good headphones and better than Sennheisers.

2. People who are correct telling you that the HD 595s are much better than the criminally overrated Beyerdynamics.

Anyway, I don't have much of an opinion of my own, obviously.

Dec 7, 2009 at 12:42 PM Post #5 of 13
The BitHead will drive the DT880s just fine; they're good enough to warrent a better amp if it's in your budget, but it'll drive them decently.

I think the 880 is a little tipped up (a little too much treble) but they're okay. I think the 595 is good too, as good as the 880 ... maybe. Personally, I'd probably try to get some HD600; I like their laid back sound.

Dec 7, 2009 at 1:32 PM Post #6 of 13
I started with the HD595 and then moved to the HD6xx. I didn't find the HD595 to be that well balanced. It was quite forward with the mids and I had to use my itunes equalizer to adjust the balance. Even just before I sold it, I still felt the same upon revisiting its sound.

Once I had the HD650's, my equalizer was set to flat and I really enjoyed myself. The HD6xx is more balanced and more lush. It gives you that ...ahhhh... feeling and you settle in the sound. So I'd also recommend the HD6xx.

I don't know about the Beyerdynamics. Never heard one, held one or seen one 'in the flesh'.

Dec 7, 2009 at 2:07 PM Post #7 of 13
I have tried the TB with the Senn 600 and 650s and been quite pleased.
You'll also find that the Senns do much better with more powerful amps.

The TB is a true bargain even at its full $159. Discounted, I'd consider it an absolute steal.

Hope this helps.

Dec 7, 2009 at 4:12 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The BitHead will drive the DT880s just fine; they're good enough to warrent a better amp if it's in your budget, but it'll drive them decently.

I think the 880 is a little tipped up (a little too much treble) but they're okay. I think the 595 is good too, as good as the 880 ... maybe. Personally, I'd probably try to get some HD600; I like their laid back sound.

After doing some more research I think I've come to the conclusion that it won't be worth buying the DT880's if I won't be able to bring out the full potential in them through the Bithead. Thus, my search continues. My budget is 400 dollars at the highest, (both the amp and phones). How do the Grado SR 255i's compare to the Beyer's?

Dec 7, 2009 at 11:06 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by agreenmac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thus, my search continues.

Personally, I think anybody in this condition ... actually, in just about any condition,
should buy a pair of PX 100-IIs and enjoy the music while they save up.

They are astonishingly good.

Dec 7, 2009 at 11:57 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by agreenmac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After doing some more research I think I've come to the conclusion that it won't be worth buying the DT880's if I won't be able to bring out the full potential in them through the Bithead. Thus, my search continues. My budget is 400 dollars at the highest, (both the amp and phones). How do the Grado SR 255i's compare to the Beyer's?

I think my approach would be to buy the Total BitHead with a pair of Koss KSC75's and save up to purchase the HD650's later or search for a used pair.

Dec 11, 2009 at 2:42 AM Post #11 of 13
Grados do well with the Bithead. I ran 325is from them for a while and it's no slouch.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 14, 2009 at 7:09 PM Post #13 of 13
grado have good synergy with everything i plug them into. they are amazing headphone...especially for rock,metal stuff imo. thet bithead will give them some extra push for a more fun ride!
smile.gif

anyway..if you want a bass heavy,closed headphone presentation you can get a denon which is also a favourite of mine. I still can't decide which i love more..the denon or the grado, because they are both amazing cans, and will go terrific with the bithead since they don't need the "Best" amplification in the world (but will definitely improve with one).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back