Headphone recommendations under $300 usd
Mar 18, 2024 at 3:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

tappeddarkman

New Head-Fier
I am currently using dt 770 pros (80ohm) with a ifi zen dac (v1). Overall i have been happy with the two, but recently i have realized how closed in they sound.
About a year ago i decided to try some meze 99 neos. I felt like i wanted more bass, but those sound kind of tinny. The neos were also too small for me, as my ear would touch the driver(even after a pad swap).

Both the dt 770 pros and the 99 neos have a dip in the 200-500 hz range, so im not sure if i was looking for more bass, or if that range was just missing. They also both have a dip at around 4khz.

At some point i also tried a pair of hifiman he400se's, which were not for me. While you heard the music, everything just sounded lifeless, and maybe too open.

I have been eying up a few different headphones:
Beyerdynamic dt 990 pro (250ohm)
Beyerdynamic tygr 300 r
Sennheiser HD6XX

Since i have tried the he400se's, I'm worried that open back wont be for me, but since the 770's sound too closed in, i think open back makes the most sense?

I tend to listen to a lot of bass heavy music, so I'm not sure if any of these even make sense for me.

I will be listening to music and playing games with the same headphones.

Any help is much appreciated.

Mar 19, 2024 at 1:14 AM Post #2 of 6
I'm on the waiting list for the new DT770 Pro X which look really promising. The DT900 Pro X are really fun and easy to drive. The DT700 was too mellow though. The others you mention I've had, but would take the Sennheiser HD600 over all of them any day. The Hifiman He5xx is one I have and they're well rounded and more comfortable than the he400se which I have with the grill mod.

Mar 19, 2024 at 2:35 PM Post #3 of 6
I am currently using dt 770 pros (80ohm) with a ifi zen dac (v1). Overall i have been happy with the two, but recently i have realized how closed in they sound.
About a year ago i decided to try some meze 99 neos. I felt like i wanted more bass, but those sound kind of tinny. The neos were also too small for me, as my ear would touch the driver(even after a pad swap).

Both the dt 770 pros and the 99 neos have a dip in the 200-500 hz range, so im not sure if i was looking for more bass, or if that range was just missing. They also both have a dip at around 4khz.

At some point i also tried a pair of hifiman he400se's, which were not for me. While you heard the music, everything just sounded lifeless, and maybe too open.

Beyerdynamic tygr 300 r
Sennheiser HD6XX

Since i have tried the he400se's, I'm worried that open back wont be for me, but since the 770's sound too closed in, i think open back makes the most sense?

I tend to listen to a lot of bass heavy music, so I'm not sure if any of these even make sense for me.

If you get the stock headband, you could look into the Hifiman HE-R9 JM OCD modded edition. He sells them for 300 flat. He also has a modded R7DX for less. I have the R9. It's pretty wide for its soundstage. Before buying, as well, you can contact him and ask for him to customize your tuning. They have some of the best bass you'll find in a closed back at that price. I don't think they sound closed in.

The only drawback is you can't exactly return them, however, he is willing to retune them if you don't like them. They are pretty highly regarded and worth checking out.

Mar 21, 2024 at 5:11 PM Post #5 of 6
I would say sundaras, only problem is the hifiman qc and build quality. So thats a bummer

Mar 22, 2024 at 10:17 PM Post #6 of 6

Beyerdynamic tygr 300 r
Sennheiser HD6XX

I didn't like the 600s, the only version I've enjoyed was the newer 660s2, which can be had on sale for $400 or used for less. I just got a set of Harmonicdyne Zeus Elite for around $400 and they are surprisingly awesome, but you'll need a balanced amp. Also, finding a used set of Modhouse Argon Mk3 around $250 will be really good, or a set of Hifiman Sundaras or XS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back