Headphone recommendation for a variety of music
Oct 28, 2014 at 9:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Quackles

New Head-Fier
Firstly, hello and I've browsed this site many times and it looks like a really useful and helpful community. So I've decided to finally join up!

I first got into getting some "decent" headphones around a year ago, but I didn't want to spend that much so I ended up going with a Samson SR850. It did the job, but now I want to get something next level.

I am from Australia, so I am hoping I can find the recommendations provided relatively easily and at a affordable price here. The kind of music I like to listen to is generally almost everything (as long as it sounds nice!). But to name some specific artists I'd say Lana Del Rey (favourite artist), Marina and the Diamonds, Paramore, Taylor Swift, Iggy Azalea, Imagine Dragons, The Script. Like I said, it really varies quite a bit. I am willing to spend at a maximum $250AUD on a headphone which suits my needs. Which can work well on my iPhone (not for outdoor use though) and also plug into my Audioengine D1 DAC.

Few extra features that would be useful:

1. Replaceable pads with velour (unless it already comes with it).
  2. Detachable cable.
  3. Over the ear

One thing I am still undecided on is open or closed headphones. I will be using it primarily/only in my room, so I'm assuming it would be better to have it open? However, isolation is sometimes nice. I'm so indecisive! 

If you could provide one at the top of that price point and one just below it I would really appreciate it! Thank you.

Oct 28, 2014 at 9:38 AM Post #2 of 13
Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro or AKG K612 pro should do the trick. But the AKG K612 will need an amp.

Oct 28, 2014 at 10:05 AM Post #3 of 13
Beyer DT250 (250 ohms if you have an amp, 80 ohms if you don't).

Oct 28, 2014 at 12:20 PM Post #4 of 13
Thanks for the suggestions so far. After thinking/researching about it more, I think open headphones would be better for me, considering that I would only be using them inside my room. In this case, what would you recommend for open headphones?

Oct 28, 2014 at 4:31 PM Post #7 of 13
I love my Sennheiser HD-598s right around that price range, if you're willing to go used, definitely able to find at that price range and are easily driven without an amp (although they can sound better on some demanding songs with an amp).

Oct 28, 2014 at 4:39 PM Post #8 of 13
It said it requires an amp. Is an Audioengine D1 DAC similar in that regard? If not, how would one set up an amp, D1, studio monitor speakers and those headphones?

The D1 is a combined DAC/amp. I do not know how powerful it is, though.

Oct 28, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #9 of 13
  I love my Sennheiser HD-598s right around that price range, if you're willing to go used, definitely able to find at that price range and are easily driven without an amp (although they can sound better on some demanding songs with an amp).

Thanks for the suggestion, they look like nice headphones. I can get them for around $180AUD which is definitely within in my price range.

The D1 is a combined DAC/amp. I do not know how powerful it is, though.

Would anyone else be able to let me know if the D1 is powerful enough for the AKG headphones recommended? Also, if there are more suggestions, I am still considering more open headphones for my variety of music.

Thanks.

Oct 29, 2014 at 1:45 AM Post #10 of 13
I don't usually recommend the HD 598 as I consider it too laid back.

Get the FiiO E12A. It has a High gain option so that u can use it with hard to drive headphones, not just IEMs.

Oct 29, 2014 at 4:06 AM Post #11 of 13
I don't usually recommend the HD 598 as I consider it too laid back.

Get the FiiO E12A. It has a High gain option so that u can use it with hard to drive headphones, not just IEMs.

Thanks for the recommendation on the FiiO. I'll definitely consider that when I upgrade my setup from the D1's.

I think I have narrowed my options down to two headphones for my music and preferences.

AKG K242HD ($259AUD) vs Audio Technica ATH-AD900X ($289AUD)

Which of the two would people recommend? As you can see, I have gone a bit above the original budget, but I am now willing to go to $300. So if people have more recommendations let me know! Thanks for the help so far too, I really appreciate it.

Nov 5, 2014 at 11:27 PM Post #13 of 13
I would say the ATH-AD900X

Users who are viewing this thread

Back