Headphone jack - Speaker's or sound card's?
Dec 4, 2004 at 4:04 AM Post #2 of 6
If the soundcards' output can't drive the headphones, you will get extra distortion. Plugging it into a set of computer speaker will most likely increase the noise floor which you may or may not notice depending on your headphones. Splitting a line out signal also degrades quality. The answer is just to try and see what you like better.

Dec 4, 2004 at 4:47 AM Post #3 of 6
Thanks for a fast reply. This is a great forum!

Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
If the soundcards' output can't drive the headphones, you will get extra distortion. Plugging it into a set of computer speaker will most likely increase the noise floor which you may or may not notice depending on your headphones.

So if the headphones are easy to drive (ATH-500) there won't be distortion, but may be higher noise floor?

Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
Splitting a line out signal also degrades quality.

Even when the speakers are off?

I'm really trying to decide if I should go from $25 AV-710 to $60 Revo5.1, just to get a seperate headphone jack. And E-MU 0404 is only $40 more then Revo. Decisions, decisions...

Dec 4, 2004 at 2:44 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by gevorg
Thanks for a fast reply. This is a great forum!

So if the headphones are easy to drive (ATH-500) there won't be distortion, but may be higher noise floor?

I'm really trying to decide if I should go from $25 AV-710 to $60 Revo5.1, just to get a seperate headphone jack. And E-MU 0404 is only $40 more then Revo. Decisions, decisions...

The answer is SIMPLE.

Do not drive any headphones out of your soundcard. Even the cheapest of headphone amplifiers is better. Don't cheap out here.

Dec 4, 2004 at 5:16 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by gevorg

Easier to drive can mean a few things but doesn't guarantee component compatibility because all sources are different. If there's not enough juice to get to the volume you like then it'll sound weak or not enough bass and added distortion. If the headphone is extremely sensitive then it's possible to hear noise sometimes form computer speakers.

Yep even when the speakers are off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back