Headphone help
Apr 3, 2012 at 9:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Manhattan75

New Head-Fier
I've been searching for a pair of headphones and I'm stuck. I've read many of the threads and figured I should ask those who know more than I do about these things.
So here's what I'm looking for:
A pair of headphones for gaming with my mixamp on xbox 360 - mostly competitively.
Priced no higher than (about) $120.
I will also use them for music and an occasional movie so I don't want them to be too light on bass like the AD700's.
I want to be able to use them without having an amp as I will probably use them with a mobile device for music most often.
I had originally narrowed my search down to the CAL!, pro DJ100 and the A700's but this was from a search of primarily closed headphones.
I would probably elect to buy an open pair (unless a closed pair would have a big enough soundstage) since I've read that mostly open designs are preferred.
Any suggestions? Thanks.

Apr 6, 2012 at 11:23 AM Post #3 of 6

Quote:
I've been searching for a pair of headphones and I'm stuck. I've read many of the threads and figured I should ask those who know more than I do about these things.
So here's what I'm looking for:
A pair of headphones for gaming with my Mix-Amp on xBox 360 - mostly competitively.
Priced no higher than (about) $120.
I will also use them for music and an occasional movie so I don't want them to be too light on bass like the AD700's.
I want to be able to use them without having an amp as I will probably use them with a mobile device for music most often.
I had originally narrowed my search down to the CAL!, pro DJ100 and the A700's but this was from a search of primarily closed headphones.
I would probably elect to buy an open pair (unless a closed pair would have a big enough sound stage) since I've read that mostly open designs are preferred.
Any suggestions? Thanks.

Semi-open headphones.
Samson SR850 (made by Superlux)
Superlux HD668B

Apr 11, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #4 of 6
I would go with closed headphones if you plan to go to LAN parties or tournaments.
Personally I can reccomend the HD380 headphones, they have been specifically designed for audio monitoring and will offer one of the best experiences if you really want to hear each step an opponent makes. Closed headphones will also make sure that none of the sound is lost since it can't escape out of the headphones.

In my experience the 380's are an amazing set for gaming, I mostly play Halo when I'm on the Xbox and I can say that they play sounds amazingly. I can actually hear people respawn from across the map, you hear a small "click" (from the weapon) and a "thump" when the Spartans legs hit the ground on spawn. I have not experienced any other headphones apart from my HD800's to be able to produce those sounds (and in the HD800's I have to play the sound considerably louder).

If you need a headset with a microphone the Sennheiser PC350 which is a near equivelant to the 380's.
You can also get a clip on microphone that you can attach to the headphone cable, something that works for me pretty well.
Zalman makes a product called "Zalman Zm-Mic1"

For home use semi-open headphones would be your best bet though, they offer better airflow and more comfort then fully closed cans.
The Sennheiser HD555's do a great job. As for a headset the Sennheiser PC360's are pretty great open headphones.

Overall I would say that Sennheiser is your best bet. The soundstage is unmatched when it comes to Sennheiser headphones in pretty much any price range, and whils't it wont make much of a difference in positional audio. It will give you a great idea of how far away the sounds are coming from when multiple explosions are coming from the same direction. With many other branded headphones I can only hear the closest battle on the right side of me for example, but with Sennheisers I can hear that there might be another battle after that and one even further away (if that made any sense now).

However the only other cans from the same price range that i've listened to are Audio-Technicas, Sonys and AKG's
I've also tried a few "dedicated gaming headphone brands" like Steelseries Siberia V2's, Razer Orca's and Trittons, however I have to say that they do not come even close with professional audio manufacterers.

Again I'd like to emphatize on the HD380's if you are looking for an amazing soundstage in closed cans. I have never experienced other closed headphones, even more expensive ones that would come close to the soundstage of the 380's

Quote:
I believe this is in the wrong section?

He is asking for gaming headphones... I believe it's the right thread in the right section.

Apr 12, 2012 at 12:42 AM Post #5 of 6

Quote:
I would go with closed headphones if you plan to go to LAN parties or tournaments.
Personally I can reccomend the HD380 headphones, they have been specifically designed for audio monitoring and will offer one of the best experiences if you really want to hear each step an opponent makes. Closed headphones will also make sure that none of the sound is lost since it can't escape out of the headphones.

In my experience the 380's are an amazing set for gaming, I mostly play Halo when I'm on the Xbox and I can say that they play sounds amazingly. I can actually hear people respawn from across the map, you hear a small "click" (from the weapon) and a "thump" when the Spartans legs hit the ground on spawn. I have not experienced any other headphones apart from my HD800's to be able to produce those sounds (and in the HD800's I have to play the sound considerably louder).

If you need a headset with a microphone the Sennheiser PC350 which is a near equivelant to the 380's.
You can also get a clip on microphone that you can attach to the headphone cable, something that works for me pretty well.
Zalman makes a product called "Zalman Zm-Mic1"

For home use semi-open headphones would be your best bet though, they offer better airflow and more comfort then fully closed cans.
The Sennheiser HD555's do a great job. As for a headset the Sennheiser PC360's are pretty great open headphones.

Overall I would say that Sennheiser is your best bet. The soundstage is unmatched when it comes to Sennheiser headphones in pretty much any price range, and whils't it wont make much of a difference in positional audio. It will give you a great idea of how far away the sounds are coming from when multiple explosions are coming from the same direction. With many other branded headphones I can only hear the closest battle on the right side of me for example, but with Sennheisers I can hear that there might be another battle after that and one even further away (if that made any sense now).

However the only other cans from the same price range that i've listened to are Audio-Technicas, Sonys and AKG's
I've also tried a few "dedicated gaming headphone brands" like Steelseries Siberia V2's, Razer Orca's and Trittons, however I have to say that they do not come even close with professional audio manufacterers.

Again I'd like to emphatize on the HD380's if you are looking for an amazing soundstage in closed cans. I have never experienced other closed headphones, even more expensive ones that would come close to the soundstage of the 380's

He is asking for gaming headphones... I believe it's the right thread in the right section.

Thank you for your reply. I haven't had too many people weigh in so this is great. I've pretty much narrowed my search down to the creative aurvana live, samson sr850 and the hd380's you mentioned although they are bit out of the range of what I want to spend. Maybe I'll make the jump. Time to make a decision.

Edit: Are the HD 280's a good alternative to the 380's? What are the differences? They are right in line with what I'd like to spend.

Apr 13, 2012 at 5:32 AM Post #6 of 6
Edit: Are the HD 280's a good alternative to the 380's? What are the differences? They are right in line with what I'd like to spend.

In regards to that question I would like to quote a respected forum member who sadly doesn't post very often anymore:

Let me be concise and to the point.

The HD280 are ****ing awful headphones. They are **** and **** some more. I would not wish them upon the most ignorant of Triport owners, who at least own a set of headphones that sounds fun.

The HD280 is a cancerous contagious sexually transmitted infection which causes terminal ugliness and misery. If you are someone who delights in every single instrument sounding wrong, every voice sounding like an X-factor reject and every sense of ergonomics thrown out of the window of a speeding truck and crushed under a following bus, then by all mean, go for them, they're everything you want.

Elsewise, I would not say even to the most ignorant and stupid of all users on this site that they are worth even the slightest sliver of a damn.

Buy something else. For the love of God, by something else. Something thats open backed, radioactive and has sharp edges covered in poison would be better for safe and isolating use.

So that's it pretty much. I would very much recommend to not buy them. I'm sorry to say that I can't really think of any headphones within you're budget, but I can recommend checking out this thread for further suggestions. You likely already did that, but it never hurts I suppose.

Edit: Just to clarify, what I just posted is duggehs opinion which I happen to share with him. There are plenty of people who are perfectly happy with their HD280.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back