Headphone for gaming: AKG K612 or Beyerdynamic DT 990 pro 250 Ohm?
Sep 4, 2015 at 1:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

DyroB

New Head-Fier
I've recently invested in better quality of audio. Thanks to amazing help on this forum I've bought the closed headphone JVC HA-RX700 and the Sound Blaster Omni. I really like the sound quality it provides, but I also want to have an open headphone, and use my JVC more for when I'm outside. 

So I've narrowed down my choices: The AKG K612 and the Beyerdynamic DT 990 pro 250 Ohm. I've read a lot about both of them, but I'm still not sure which one to take. I also have read the Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide, and both headphones got a good score. The DT 990 is called great for gaming, AKG K612 provides a bigger sound stage. Still not sure which one I have to take tho after reading that. 

I'm not going to use it for competitive gaming, I do play online, but only on a fun-level, not serious enough. I want to be emerged by the sound ingame (DT 990?), but I also want to have a good surround feeling (K612?). 

I will probably listen to some music with it, but mainly for gaming, so I want a good headphone for excellent gaming sounds. 

The K612 is currently 149 euro (166 dollar), the DT 990 pro 250 Ohm is currently 148 euro (164 dollar), so the price difference isn't something to consider. 

Which one suits my needs the best? 

Thanks in advance for all the help!

Sep 4, 2015 at 5:37 PM Post #2 of 8
  I've recently invested in better quality of audio. Thanks to amazing help on this forum I've bought the closed headphone JVC HA-RX700 and the Sound Blaster Omni. I really like the sound quality it provides, but I also want to have an open headphone, and use my JVC more for when I'm outside. 
So I've narrowed down my choices: The AKG K612 and the Beyerdynamic DT 990 pro 250 Ohm. I've read a lot about both of them, but I'm still not sure which one to take. I also have read the Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide, and both headphones got a good score. The DT 990 is called great for gaming, AKG K612 provides a bigger sound stage. Still not sure which one I have to take tho after reading that. 
I'm not going to use it for competitive gaming, I do play online, but only on a fun-level, not serious enough. I want to be emerged by the sound ingame (DT 990?), but I also want to have a good surround feeling (K612?). 
I will probably listen to some music with it, but mainly for gaming, so I want a good headphone for excellent gaming sounds. 
The K612 is currently 149 euro (166 dollar), the DT 990 pro 250 Ohm is currently 148 euro (164 dollar), so the price difference isn't something to consider. 
Which one suits my needs the best? 

The DT990 is going to have really strong bass/treble, compared to the K612 Pro.
Me thinks the K612 Pro will have stronger vocals
I own several AKGs, but not the K612 Pro, so I'm guessing on the K612 Pro's sound.
Both need to be driving by a decent headphone amplifier to sound their best.

Sep 4, 2015 at 8:57 PM Post #3 of 8
Thank you for your reply. I know that both headphones got their own strenghts and flaws, I'm more curious which one of them provides a better game experience. I do want a good soundstage, so I'll have the feeling I'm ''in'' the game, but I also find it important that the sound has some power and ''energy'', that I get drowned into the game. 

I see that you've got the DT990, and a class better headphones of AKG. Which one of those do you think it offers the best ingame experience? 

Sep 5, 2015 at 12:01 AM Post #4 of 8
  Thank you for your reply. I know that both headphones got their own strengths and flaws, I'm more curious which one of them provides a better game experience. I do want a good sound stage, so I'll have the feeling I'm ''in'' the game, but I also find it important that the sound has some power and ''energy'', that I get drowned into the game. 

I see that you've got the DT990, and a class better headphones of AKG. Which one of those do you think it offers the best in game experience? 

I really do not game much anymore and have never been into FPS gaming.
I only use the DT990 (Premium 600-Ohm) with an A/V receiver, for watching Blu-ray movies, the DT990 have a movie theater like sound.
I've not really use a receiver much in the past year, really only use headphones with my PC.
Currently my preferred open headphone is the AKG K7XX.
For closed I use the ATH-W1000X (musical) or Beyer T70 (Clarity).

Sep 5, 2015 at 12:30 AM Post #5 of 8
Thank you again for your reply.

I don't play competitive, so altho I do play FPS now and then, I also play a lot of race games, adventure/action games, RPG's, survival etc. So pinpointing isn't that important, altho I do want to know where the sounds come from. If the DT990 gives more of a movie theater sound, it's probably better for what I want ingame. Altho I do wonder if I can still hear where the sounds are coming from with the DT990. And I wonder if the K612 sounds ''flat''/''powerless'', so that it is only usable as pinpointer, but not good in overwhelming/sucking-into-the-game for ingame audio.

Sorry that I ask so much, but there isn't a shop nearby to test them both out, even non of them for that matters. And I don't know anybody who owns at least 1 of them. 

Sep 5, 2015 at 1:04 PM Post #6 of 8
Sorry for the double post.

I've tested the HD598, it sounds very good. The bass is enough, but the pricetag (170 euro) is a little bit more then I want to spent on it, and qualitywise I think there isn't much difference with the others I'm interested in to justify the price difference. Which one compares the best with the HD598? The K612 or the DT990?

Sep 5, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #7 of 8
Get the HD558 and remove the black rubber tape from inside the cups.
The HD558 and HD598 use the same 50-Ohm driver.
Maybe get a used HD558?

Sep 5, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #8 of 8
I rather buy a new one, that way I know that there isn't something wrong with it + I get some garanty. Pricetag isn't a problem either, but if I can get the K612/DT990 for 140 euro, and the HD598 is 170 euro, I don't think it jusitfies the price difference, if I look at the reviews and scores.

I'm really confused right now to be honest 
rolleyes.gif
 A lot of reviews claims that the HD598 has a lack of bass, but I think it's perfect.. I think the DT990 will be too much, and the K612 is maybe a better choice? 

BTW I've got the Sound Master Omni, claims it can handel 600 Ohm.

EDIT: I've ended up with ordering the AKG K612. Hope I've made the right choice
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back