Headphone cable upgrade for HD800S
May 24, 2019 at 2:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

BadDude

New Head-Fier
Currently looking to upgrade the cable for my HD800S, will be running balanced XLR-4. Additional warmth and clarity is appreciated. Any suggestions?

I'm currently running this rig with HDV820 dac/amp connected to Nordost Blue Heaven USB and Power cord. My source is Roon.

May 24, 2019 at 3:26 PM Post #2 of 11
could go with a nordost heimdall cable -- supposedly great sound, but pretty pricey. black dragon from moon audio is probably be a great choice and about half the price.

May 29, 2019 at 3:23 PM Post #5 of 11
Norne or WyWires. If Norne, go for S3 C Silvergarde or Einvaldi. Platinum if WyWires (my current cord combo w/HD 800S.)

May 30, 2019 at 7:33 AM Post #8 of 11
How is the sound compared to stock? And I assume you're running balanced?
Better tighter bass, wider soundstage and crisper treble. Midrange as good as I had heard until I got my ZMF Verite/Norne Envaldi . This for the HD 800S/WyWires Platinum. Some say that HD 800s are bass shy, but if the music has good bass, you will hear it nicely balanced. And yes its a 4 prong XLR balanced connection for Stratus or Liquid Carbon.

Last edited:
May 30, 2019 at 7:37 AM Post #9 of 11
Any thoughts on cables from Double Helix and Danacable?

No. I only buy WyWires and Norne headphone cables. For my IEMs I use PlusSound, ALO and I have a Norne arriving today.

May 30, 2019 at 10:25 AM Post #10 of 11
Currently looking to upgrade the cable for my HD800S, will be running balanced XLR-4. Additional warmth and clarity is appreciated. Any suggestions?
I'm currently running this rig with HDV820 dac/amp connected to Nordost Blue Heaven USB and Power cord. My source is Roon.
Do you already own a balanced headphone cable for the HD800S or are you currently using the stock un-balanced cable?
I buy my balanced headphone cables off eBay (shipped from Asia).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back