Headphone burn in.
Jul 30, 2020 at 8:27 AM Post #91 of 100
Well different strokes I suppose. I always have and always will properly burn in any new component, including cables. A friend bought me a Schiit Modi 3 DAC and after 5 days of burn in, the improvement in sound quality is amazing.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2020 at 11:57 AM Post #92 of 100
I never burned in any used gear I bought. They all sound wonderful.

‘Yeah, some people don’t notice it and for some It is as stark as the contrast between night and day. I was thinking, maybe it is because we focus on different aspects of the sound. It is like when my partner and I watch a movie. I will comment on some detail, and she will explain she never saw that. She is astonished at some detail I noticed. But we talk about it, and there is a whole number of things she observed that I didn’t. We agree on the explosion... but in between the major events (actually the details of even the explosion we see / hear / notice different aspects). Your conscious focus is very narrow, and there are a myriad of constantly changing discrete sounds. This might help account for the ongoing 40+ year discussion on the subject.

Jul 30, 2020 at 12:07 PM Post #93 of 100
Well different strokes I suppose. I always have and always will properly burn in any new component, including cables. A friend bought me a Schiit Modi 3 DAC and after 5 days of burn in, the improvement in sound quality is amazing.

I recently bought a Gungnir Multibit DAC... it took a good 300 hours to burn in, at least. At first it sounded very “clear and crisp” as a friend of mine pointed out after I lent it to him with 100 hours on it. That description is the mark of bad sound... as after listening for a while your ears start to hurt. it is over trebbly, the treble is mixed with high frequency hash, bass is not fully fleshed out and the midrange is thin. Basically sounds like a piece of consumer electronics. But after 200 it got a little better, and now at 500 it sounds very natural, detailed cymbals sounds more like metal on metal instead of breaking glass. Notes are individual and come from a pleasingly empty background.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2020 at 1:41 PM Post #94 of 100
I recently bought a Gungnir Multibit DAC... it took a good 300 hours to burn in, at least. At first it sounded very “clear and crisp” as a friend of mine pointed out after I lent it to him with 100 hours on it. That description is the mark of bad sound... as after listening for a while your ears start to hurt. it is over trebbly, the treble is mixed with high frequency hash, bass is not fully fleshed out and the midrange is thin. Basically sounds like a piece of consumer electronics. But after 200 it got a little better, and now at 500 it sounds very natural, detailed cymbals sounds more like metal on metal instead of breaking glass. Notes are individual and come from a pleasingly empty background.
I find it unbelievable this is still an issue. Look at a reviews from Stereophile or The Absolute Sound and what's the 1st thing the reviewers do but burn or break .in the components they are reviewing. You want to hold on to your anachronistic beliefs, knock yourselfs out. Vote for Trump while you're at it. As far as I'm concerned, your a bunch of idiots in denial.

Jul 30, 2020 at 3:49 PM Post #95 of 100
One of the most underrated component of any listening system is air. I know it sounds crazy but hear me out.

First of all, it's widely known that moving parts are extra important in the system and air is not some non-moving useless BS gear like a DAC or an amp, in fact (and this is very important) hearing is just our ears picking up the air's movements and vibrations. Imagine that, we don't even listen to the headphones or speakers, we actually just listen to the air's movement, this is why it plays such an important part in the HiFi experience. The connection between our ears and the air is just so direct and intimate.
As such, it absolutely baffles me how even some of the most seasoned audiophiles would simply overlook their dedicated listening room's air quality. Certain parameters of the air just change over time, no matter what. And I can tell you all from experience that it has a huge effect on the sound.

Back in the days when I was a newbie, I didn't understand why my headphones sounded so bad after airing out my room. It lacked a certain control overall but it was especially noticeable on the higher end of the spectrum. The highs always sounded unbearably harsh and really grainy right after the airing. Of course this effect would go away over time, the cans would start to sound more like I was remembering it, the control came back the highs smoothed out, the graininess went away and the top octave became more airy with more use generating a bigger soundstage, well until the next airing. It actually took me an embarrassingly long time to figure this pattern out even though looking back at it, it seems obvious. Using the same room of air for too long eventually caused everything to sound kind of cramped in and the soundstage became way too congested for my liking. The air also gets smellier and smellier over time. So don't overwork your room of air either.

Of course the air breaking in doesn't magically happen overnight and I believe it would never break in if there wasn't any vibration for the air to transmit. However, this would only happen to highly sound isolated environments and I don't live in a multimillion dollar recording studio. Under my circumstances, the air typically breaks in pretty much perfectly in just under a week. I found out I can speed up this process by various degrees using different methods. Running headphones for example could shave off about 2~3 days while using my floorstanding speakers always did the job in just one afternoon/evening. I've never tried to use anything specific like noises or signals for burning in my air, I have always used music for this. My neighbours probably prefer it that way too.

Burning in your air isn't the only thing you have to do the ensure your air is good quality. In my experience running a fan in the listening room (even when not listening to music) is generally a big no-no, this also applies to the fans in the computer (if you happen to use one in the same room you use for listening). It can undo the whole process of the burn in.
I also installed some random AC unit in my room in the early 2010's and if I wanted to use it, it would noticably tip my system's signature towards the cold side. I had the beyerdynamic T90 without a tube amp at the time so this definitely didn't help. I ended up returning the unit to the seller because that was obviously unacceptable to me but when I told them the reason they looked at me like a lunatic. With a little bit of persistence I managed to get my money back spent on the AC but not on the installation. After some research and digging I went with a mitsubishi AC system and I still use it to this day. While using it still makes the sound a little bit more bright it does so in an unitrusive way. It turns the sound more analytical and the sound becomes more detailed it does so without putting extra strain on my ears.

So the burn in of moving parts of the system is definitely real. Also a lot of audiophiles seem to overlook their crappy air quality for some reason.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2020 at 4:58 PM Post #96 of 100
Hmm... I've not heard this before. Maybe an air infiltration system would help. Just saying. I've been an audiophile for 30 years and this is a new one on me. However I am going to continue to break gear in the way I always have which has always worked well for me. My goal is not to change how people do their thing. To each his own. Let's all enjoy this hobby the best way we know how. To each their own and I hope we all enjoy the music. That is what this is all about.

Jul 30, 2020 at 6:38 PM Post #97 of 100
One of the most underrated component of any listening system is air. I know it sounds crazy but hear me out.

First of all, it's widely known that moving parts are extra important in the system and air is not some non-moving useless BS gear like a DAC or an amp, in fact (and this is very important) hearing is just our ears picking up the air's movements and vibrations. Imagine that, we don't even listen to the headphones or speakers, we actually just listen to the air's movement, this is why it plays such an important part in the HiFi experience. The connection between our ears and the air is just so direct and intimate.
As such, it absolutely baffles me how even some of the most seasoned audiophiles would simply overlook their dedicated listening room's air quality. Certain parameters of the air just change over time, no matter what. And I can tell you all from experience that it has a huge effect on the sound.

Back in the days when I was a newbie, I didn't understand why my headphones sounded so bad after airing out my room. It lacked a certain control overall but it was especially noticeable on the higher end of the spectrum. The highs always sounded unbearably harsh and really grainy right after the airing. Of course this effect would go away over time, the cans would start to sound more like I was remembering it, the control came back the highs smoothed out, the graininess went away and the top octave became more airy with more use generating a bigger soundstage, well until the next airing. It actually took me an embarrassingly long time to figure this pattern out even though looking back at it, it seems obvious. Using the same room of air for too long eventually caused everything to sound kind of cramped in and the soundstage became way too congested for my liking. The air also gets smellier and smellier over time. So don't overwork your room of air either.

Of course the air breaking in doesn't magically happen overnight and I believe it would never break in if there wasn't any vibration for the air to transmit. However, this would only happen to highly sound isolated environments and I don't live in a multimillion dollar recording studio. Under my circumstances, the air typically breaks in pretty much perfectly in just under a week. I found out I can speed up this process by various degrees using different methods. Running headphones for example could shave off about 2~3 days while using my floorstanding speakers always did the job in just one afternoon/evening. I've never tried to use anything specific like noises or signals for burning in my air, I have always used music for this. My neighbours probably prefer it that way too.

Burning in your air isn't the only thing you have to do the ensure your air is good quality. In my experience running a fan in the listening room (even when not listening to music) is generally a big no-no, this also applies to the fans in the computer (if you happen to use one in the same room you use for listening). It can undo the whole process of the burn in.
I also installed some random AC unit in my room in the early 2010's and if I wanted to use it, it would noticably tip my system's signature towards the cold side. I had the beyerdynamic T90 without a tube amp at the time so this definitely didn't help. I ended up returning the unit to the seller because that was obviously unacceptable to me but when I told them the reason they looked at me like a lunatic. With a little bit of persistence I managed to get my money back spent on the AC but not on the installation. After some research and digging I went with a mitsubishi AC system and I still use it to this day. While using it still makes the sound a little bit more bright it does so in an unitrusive way. It turns the sound more analytical and the sound becomes more detailed it does so without putting extra strain on my ears.

So the burn in of moving parts of the system is definitely real. Also a lot of audiophiles seem to overlook their crappy air quality for some reason.

😄

Aug 1, 2020 at 12:44 AM Post #99 of 100
You can create the thread on the particular sub forum you are currently visiting. This thread for example was posted on the members lounge (general discussion) sub forum.
I just started a thread about some headphones and I posted a review, is that appropriate? Most of the threads there seem to be just casual discussion. Is there another place for me to post reviews?

Aug 1, 2020 at 7:19 AM Post #100 of 100
I just started a thread about some headphones and I posted a review, is that appropriate? Most of the threads there seem to be just casual discussion. Is there another place for me to post reviews?

I didn't look at impression threads and reviews here in ages and the site changed a lot since. Still, I think if you just want to start some discussion about some headphones, first you should look at the correct subforum for any recent ongoing threads. For example if I wanted to hear some talk about the sennheiser hd600 I would go in the Headpones (full-size) category and I would start to search for threads on it. If I wanted to talk about amplifiers I would start at Headphone Amps (full-size).

I'm pretty sure the reviews usually go under the Head Gear category. If you arent talking about some already well-known gear I doubt your discussion/review will gain any traction though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back