Headphone Amp Paired with Audio Interface as DAC?
Oct 3, 2020 at 5:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Rofflesaur

New Head-Fier
Hi. Long time lurker, but first time poster here.

I am searching for a headphone amp / DAC combo to use with AKG K712 Pro. Due to other family members working at home now, I need an alternative to my Yamaha studio monitor setup when I need to be quiet. I mainly edit audio for video, as well as some music creation (and listening for pleasure of course). I was leaning heavily towards the Schiit Modi/Multibit and Magni Combo. However, I didn't realize until recently that a Schiit USB DAC would not have ASIO hardware support. Derp! I then started thinking that if i needed to switch from monitors to headphones on a whim, it would require diving into the audio preferences panel on my software to switch output devices.

As much as I would prefer the look of a "stack" on my desk, I am now leaning towards using my MOTU M4 audio interface as the DAC. Since I would not be purchasing a Schiit DAC, I could afford a better headphone amp, like the Magnius. This would allow me to switch from monitors to headphones simply by turning the volume down on one device and up on the other, without changing software settings at all.

How does the ESS Sabre32 Ultra in the MOTU compare to the AKG or Analog Devices used in the Schiit DACs? I've found the ESS chips to be very detailed and transparent compared to whatever was used in past interfaces I've owned (Pro Tools MBox, M-Audio FireWire, MOTO 4Pre).

Lastly, should I not even consider any tube amplifiers like the Vali or Vahalla even though Schiit claims they are neutral and don't color the sound?

Thanks.

Oct 3, 2020 at 7:06 PM Post #2 of 3
For a 62-Ohm headphone (K712 Pro) I would try to get a solid state headphone amplifier, or at least a hybrid,

Apr 19, 2021 at 6:30 PM Post #3 of 3
Hi. Long time lurker, but first time poster here.

I am searching for a headphone amp / DAC combo to use with AKG K712 Pro. Due to other family members working at home now, I need an alternative to my Yamaha studio monitor setup when I need to be quiet. I mainly edit audio for video, as well as some music creation (and listening for pleasure of course). I was leaning heavily towards the Schiit Modi/Multibit and Magni Combo. However, I didn't realize until recently that a Schiit USB DAC would not have ASIO hardware support. Derp! I then started thinking that if i needed to switch from monitors to headphones on a whim, it would require diving into the audio preferences panel on my software to switch output devices.

As much as I would prefer the look of a "stack" on my desk, I am now leaning towards using my MOTU M4 audio interface as the DAC. Since I would not be purchasing a Schiit DAC, I could afford a better headphone amp, like the Magnius. This would allow me to switch from monitors to headphones simply by turning the volume down on one device and up on the other, without changing software settings at all.

How does the ESS Sabre32 Ultra in the MOTU compare to the AKG or Analog Devices used in the Schiit DACs? I've found the ESS chips to be very detailed and transparent compared to whatever was used in past interfaces I've owned (Pro Tools MBox, M-Audio FireWire, MOTO 4Pre).

Lastly, should I not even consider any tube amplifiers like the Vali or Vahalla even though Schiit claims they are neutral and don't color the sound?

Thanks.
from one lurker to another, can i ask how you decided to address your conundrum? have you been happy with the solution you settled on? have my modi3+/heresy stack in the mail, with digital out from soundcard as a back-up option if the ASIO is still posing a problem. a bit of an impulse buy on a B-stock when i realized how much noise i was picking up with IEM!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back