Headphone advice for home listening
Dec 16, 2014 at 4:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

mikeyboxx

New Head-Fier
I'm in the process of trying to buy home audio headphones. I'll be using the headphones for watching TV & Movies, CD's, vinyl records, and computer use (youtube, spotify, etc) and want to know what is this forums opinion that'll work best for me. I listen to music like hard rock, metal, punk, roots reggae, dub reggae, surf, jazz, and hawaiian. I'm also thinking of combinding my headphones (been thinking about the Grado Prestige Series SR80e) with a headphone Amp (Thinking about the Bravo Audio V2 Class A 12AU7 Tube Multi-Hybrid). My budget is from $100 - $150 for the headphones. Please help me decide. Thank you in advance.

Dec 16, 2014 at 5:15 PM Post #2 of 10
Do you need open or closed headphones?
What's the source?
What's the amp budget?

Dec 16, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #4 of 10
I'm looking for open headphones since it's for home use. I want the best sound quality and not worried noise cancel. The budget for the headphone amp would be around $50 - $75ish. BTW, I'm not a gamer so I won't be using these cans for games.

Dec 16, 2014 at 6:15 PM Post #6 of 10
  What do you mean polarizing?

It basically means the opinions on Grados are really divided. On one side, people hate them with a passion (I'm just overexaggerating, but you get the point); on the other, people love them the same way. Which is why he pointed it out, in case you might not like them.

Dec 16, 2014 at 10:33 PM Post #8 of 10
Go for the Grado SR-80…enjoy and be done!
And yes, I'm one who loves the Grado sound, and has tried a good share of HP's, but nothing suites me like a Grado as you can see by my signature below. 
biggrin.gif

Dec 16, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #9 of 10
It basically means the opinions on Grados are really divided. On one side, people hate them with a passion (I'm just overexaggerating, but you get the point); on the other, people love them the same way. Which is why he pointed it out, in case you might not like them.

Exactly - thank you.

I'm not trying to steer you away from the Grados - if they are what you want, they could be perfect for you. Many people love the Grado sound. They love that they are very open and have very forward and detailed upper mids and treble. That just isn't my preferred sound. I find them harsh and completely lacking below the middle-bass. I find them very different from, for example, the Sennheiser HD518. The recessed treble of the Sennheiser bothers me less than the elevated treble of the Grado. Different strokes for different folks.

Dec 17, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #10 of 10
Cant argue with Grado at that level, my original stock SR60s still sound great after 8 years.

Could you get used Sennheiser HD580/600 for your budget where you live?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back