Head-Fi Review Exclusive
Dec 6, 2001 at 2:53 AM Post #31 of 44
Wow. So much work. Say... Ross also lives in Sydney and owns a WAD HD83. I wonder if he is susceptible to bribes?
tongue.gif

Dying for a "top of the tubes" amplifier competition!

Earmax Pro
WAD HD83
MicroZOTL
Melos
and MG Head OTL... why not?

Dec 6, 2001 at 1:41 PM Post #32 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by Nick Dangerous
Dying for a "top of the tubes" amplifier competition!

Earmax Pro
WAD HD83
MicroZOTL
Melos
and MG Head OTL... why not?

Uh...you forgot the RKV, dude...and I'll be all over it (the top-o-the-tubes amp competition)...once I make my first million...(let's see, at current rate, that'll be in .... -297 years!)...

Dec 7, 2001 at 6:46 AM Post #34 of 44
Hey guys,

I'm back thanks a lot for all your comments. As for the RKV, I didn't include it because I didn't consider it to be a budget headphone amp option.

I really only included budget amps because I believe that if someone buys headphones + cheaper amp and they like it they'll learn about RKV/Holmes Powell etc themselves. Lots of headphone geeks would come to boards such as this one and go nuts...

Dec 7, 2001 at 8:10 AM Post #35 of 44
Hey stuartr,

this is totally off topic, but I'm pretty sure Rostropovich doesn't play the 1712 Davidoff, as I remember reading that Jacqueline Du Pre bequeathed the Davidoff to Yo-Yo Ma when she died, and he is still playing it today. There was another Davidoff cello, but I think it was stolen some years ago. If I remember correctly, Mstislav plays the 1711 Duport. Either way, they are both gorgeous instruments.
smily_headphones1.gif

I haven't listened to much of Casals, but I didn't like the bach suites that I did hear recorded by him. I had a tough time getting over the sound quality (it really is kinda old), and his technique is as fluid and pristine as say, Ma's. However maybe I just heard a really early recording or something, I think I'll give him another listen when I go home for break.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 7, 2001 at 9:20 AM Post #36 of 44
Jim -- I am sure you are right about the celli. I knew either Ma or Rostropovich had the Davidoff, I guess I just assumed that it was Rostropovich because of the whole Russian connection. As for Casals, you are right, it takes a lot of time to get past the recording quality. Some people can't, some can, but it really does make a big impact for the negative. It took me several listens before I really began to appreciate it, and sometimes I still get fed up with the poor quality. I don't really know how to describe his playing, I would not call it flawless or anything, but it seems to me to be very knowledgable, if that makes sense. As if he had been studying the suites his whole life (which he had). But of course, it is a matter of personal preference. I still like Ma a lot, but I think I would rather throw in Rostropovich or Casals, but that is just me. I think the best way to go about it is to listen to all of them (and perhaps Starker and Du Pre as well) to figure out what style you like best. Speaking of Du Pre, I really need to listen to her more, as I cannot remember hearing anything of hers, though I know she is extremely well-regarded.
Stu

Dec 7, 2001 at 1:37 PM Post #38 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by evilcthul
...As for the RKV, I didn't include it...

That wasn't directed at you, that was directed at Nick Dangerous and his top-o-the-tube-amps list.

Dec 7, 2001 at 4:02 PM Post #39 of 44
Whoops! I meant to say not as fluid or pristine as Yo-Yo Ma. That made a big difference!
smily_headphones1.gif
But yeah, I remember there were quite a few spots where his intonation could have been a bit better...it bothers me when I hear notes that are slightly (but noticeably) off pitch. Milstein does it sometimes too, which is why I never warmed up to his recordings either. Maybe over break I'll have a Milstein/Casals listening fest and see if I can get over it now.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 7, 2001 at 5:01 PM Post #40 of 44
Re: Haydn Cello Suites

stuartr, Are you talking about the Cello Concertos 1 and 2 in C and D major? If so, it's funny because I thought YoYo Ma's performance was much more enjoyable and anything but sterile. I didn't care as much for Rostropovich's interpretation, in which it seems like he sometimes put in too much "passion".

Dec 8, 2001 at 12:33 AM Post #43 of 44
Pigmode -- we were talking about Bach's Cello Suites...six pieces for solo cello. As for the Haydn concertos, I have only heard Rostropovich's version. But I like him much better in general, so I imagine I would like that version better. Personally, and I don't want to start a war here, I think Ma is a great cellist, but basically he is way overrated. He is endlessly and shamelessly hyped by Sony Marketing and by people who likely have never heard another good cellist. He is a celebrity because he has a name that makes people giggle. Don't get me wrong, he is an AWESOME cellist, I just would not call him world-class. I don't think the problem is technique, which is impeccable, but in interpretation and inspiration. I think Rostropovich, Starker, and David Finkle (of the Emerson quartet) are all better cellists. But this is my PERSONAL opinion, and I don't want to offend anyone, as musical preference is a very subjective matter. I don't want to turn this into the Britney Spears thread.

edit: Any good cellist can play all the notes, but only a few can make them really worth listening to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back