• 60-69

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • 70+

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Apr 8, 2018 at 5:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Phronesis

Headphoneus Supremus
Having just joined this forum, I'm curious about the demographics around here. I did a search and found some older threads on demographics (didn't read them), but nothing in the past few years. If I'm missing threads on this topic, could someone provide links?

At the risk of appearing foolish, I'll venture some guesses:

- Vast majority male
- Broad adult age range, median around young middle age (mid 30s), not too many "older" people
- Much higher percentage of musicians than the general population
- Wide range of preferred genres, but positive correlation between liking instrumental music (jazz, classical, etc.) and cost of equipment
- Higher percentage of people with technical and scientific backgrounds than the general population
- Married percentage a bit lower than the general population
- Wide range for years in the hobby, median of a few years
- Other hobbies highly dependent on income
- Addictive/obsessive tendencies (myself included!), but not necessarily to a maladaptive degree

Apr 8, 2018 at 6:01 PM Post #2 of 4
Having just joined this forum, I'm curious about the demographics around here. I did a search and found some older threads on demographics (didn't read them), but nothing in the past few years. If I'm missing threads on this topic, could someone provide links?

At the risk of appearing foolish, I'll venture some guesses:

- Vast majority male
- Broad adult age range, median around young middle age (mid 30s), not too many "older" people
- Much higher percentage of musicians than the general population
- Wide range of preferred genres, but positive correlation between liking instrumental music (jazz, classical, etc.) and cost of equipment
- Higher percentage of people with technical and scientific backgrounds than the general population
- Married percentage a bit lower than the general population
- Wide range for years in the hobby, median of a few years
- Other hobbies highly dependent on income
- Addictive/obsessive tendencies (myself included!), but not necessarily to a maladaptive degree

I'm skeptical that this one is correct, but I admit I haven't done any sound sampling. :) But I'd guess that the "not too many 'older' people" part is particularly off, even if your guess about median age is closer to right than not.

Apr 8, 2018 at 6:22 PM Post #3 of 4
I'm skeptical that this one is correct, but I admit I haven't done any sound sampling. :) But I'd guess that the "not too many 'older' people" part is particularly off, even if your guess about median age is closer to right than not.

Let's see, I added a poll.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back