HE90 leather pads
May 5, 2018 at 6:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

HugoFreire

500+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,

Some of you may know that I've tried to organize a group buy for leather ear pads and headphone pads for the HE90s in the past. Why? Well, the original ones are made with low quality pleather that flakes when they age. Sennheiser sells spare parts which are expensive (and going up in price), and AFAIK they are running out of stock very soon (if they didn't already). But unfortunately the group buy manufacturer had outsourcing problems and we had to abandon the project.

Last year, me and my wife decided to make some DIY leather pads. I made an extensive research on materials and manufacturing processes, and ripped some original Sennheiser pads to measure and examine their inside. We went through many months of testing and prototyping and finally found the best materials, machinery and assembly techniques. I am pretty happy with the final results, and I would like to share some technical details and a few pictures below.

A big THANKS to Gary, who supported me through the whole process: he gave me some of his old pads (as I said before, I had to destroy some) and helped me a lot with the outsourcing. Thanks a lot, buddy!!!

Foams:
- Open-cell polyurethane;
- High resilience (2.7 lbs/ft³), for increased longevity (will last for decades with no degradation/deformation);
- Soft and comfortable (24 ILD);
- Precisely die cut.

Leather:
- Finest italian lambskin;
- Silky smooth;
- Thin (0.8mm) and lightweight;
- Full-grain (strong and durable);
- Black tanned;
- Chrome-tan (doesn't discolor or lose shape);
- Semi-aniline (top coat added to protect from wear and staining).

Internal earpad rings (for assembly):
- Polyamide (Nylon);
- Strong and flexible (will not break on assembly);
- Precisely 3D-print (dimensions are identical to the original Sennheiser's rings).

Die-cut foam model

image1.PNG

3D-print internal ring model

Captura de tela 2018-05-05 19.06.57.png

Sewing and assembly

pad1.jpg

pad2.jpg pad3.jpg

Prototypes

pad4.jpg

pad5.jpg

pad6.jpg

headband.jpg

Final product

pad7.jpg pad8.jpg

I'm thinking of making a few more sets by the end of this year, so I'd like to check how many of you have interest in these. Please reply to this thread if you do!

Thanks for viewing =)

Last edited:
May 5, 2018 at 9:33 AM Post #3 of 11
Thank you Hugo, and your wife as well. I would never have had the balls to take on such an endeavor myself, and I can attest that these pads are of very high quality. I'm very proud to say that, at least in some small way, I could be a part of this project coming to fruition. I'll try and find some pics of the before and after pads, and post here. Hats off to you and your wife Hugo, and thank you!

May 5, 2018 at 9:37 PM Post #7 of 11
sign me up too please. I may need two. :) What's the ballpark price? Thanks for doing this.

May 6, 2018 at 12:25 AM Post #9 of 11
Thanks for the feedback, guys! I will do my best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back