he-500 as first real headphone
Jul 13, 2014 at 1:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

shayson1357

100+ Head-Fier
hello everyone :)
 this is my first post on head-fi so here goes.
I have a really bad setup at the moment ( sony xb-900 running off of the front panel headphone out from my desktop) the sound is absolute garbage, bass is bloated and literary bleeds to all other frequencies, the mids on these things make walter white sound like darth vader while the highs..... oh the highs.... I'll come back to you once I actually find them :/

so, I plan to upgrade this setup into something which provides less sonic torture..... and the he-500 immediately caught my eye. However, after a lot of reading about this headphone on head-fi and other reviewing sites I understood that it needs much more power than what the headphone out from my pc can even remotely handle in order to sound their best.....
the question is, what will the he-500 sound like coming out of the pc's front audio, is the sound even half decent, enough to make due for a while(ie. saving up for for an audio-gd nfb-28 or nfb-10) ?

Jul 13, 2014 at 4:22 PM Post #2 of 6
  hello everyone :)
 this is my first post on head-fi so here goes.
I have a really bad setup at the moment ( sony xb-900 running off of the front panel headphone out from my desktop) the sound is absolute garbage, bass is bloated and literary bleeds to all other frequencies, the mids on these things make walter white sound like darth vader while the highs..... oh the highs.... I'll come back to you once I actually find them :/

so, I plan to upgrade this setup into something which provides less sonic torture..... and the he-500 immediately caught my eye. However, after a lot of reading about this headphone on head-fi and other reviewing sites I understood that it needs much more power than what the headphone out from my pc can even remotely handle in order to sound their best.....
the question is, what will the he-500 sound like coming out of the pc's front audio, is the sound even half decent, enough to make due for a while(ie. saving up for for an audio-gd nfb-28 or nfb-10) ?

Don't bother.  If you have on board sound, it is both crappy and underpowered.

Jul 13, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #3 of 6
I have about 500$ just itching to be spent on an audio upgrade, what do you suggest I get with them then ?
PS. I prefer to get the He-500 or even He-6 later on (hate the look of the newer hifimans),

Should I buy a DAC and AMP like the audio-gd nfb-10.33 for example in order to have a foundation for any decent headphone I might buy later(should still be able to power the he-500 with ease when I buy it later on) and it should tighten up the flabby bass a bit and improve the overall sound of my current headphones while also removing that ungodly HISS that's coming out of the   on board realtek.
or do you suggest another approach.
Thoughts ?

Jul 13, 2014 at 7:53 PM Post #4 of 6
Yes--you need a good dac & amp (or at least good sound card with a quality amp built-in).  Audio-gd makes quality products, although I don't know that particular model.

As you probably already know, you also need quality music files/formats.

I don't do my serious music listening through a computer, so others will have to help you with more specific recommendations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back