HDCD test
Jan 22, 2002 at 3:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

andrzejpw

May one day invent Bose-cancelling headphones.
Are there any wavs on the internet that I could burn to a cd, and play on my denon 370?

I want to test its HDCD decoding. Haven't tried it yet.
frown.gif

I don't care if its some guy farting. . .

Jan 22, 2002 at 4:55 AM Post #2 of 13
i don't know about burning an hdcd, but borders has the cars' first album remastered in hdcd for $8. it's great.

Jan 22, 2002 at 8:21 AM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
Are there any wavs on the internet that I could burn to a cd, and play on my denon 370?

I want to test its HDCD decoding. Haven't tried it yet.
frown.gif

I don't think that exists.

Jan 22, 2002 at 12:23 PM Post #4 of 13
Hmmm. Well, the thing is, I have an HDCD on its way. Time Out.

I just want to test it before it gets here.
smily_headphones1.gif

Any way someone could rip about 10 seconds worth of music in HDCD?

Jan 22, 2002 at 8:10 PM Post #5 of 13
Not sure if it'll work, but here ya go: 10 seconds off "The very best of Dire Straights: Sutans of Swing", track 8 "Calling Elvis". The file's going off the site the minute I see you've downloaded it, so please post here when you've got it... I don't want the recording nazi's banging on the front door.
rolleyes.gif

[edit]link destroyed, file removed from server for my own safety
smily_headphones1.gif
[/edit]

Jan 22, 2002 at 10:52 PM Post #8 of 13
Yes, HDCD recordings are 16 bit 44.1 kHz. The added data is encoded into the regular audio stream, you'll need to play it on your real CD player to see if it really works. If I had a burner I'd try it myself since I've got a Denon 370 too.

Jan 23, 2002 at 12:46 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

I have a recording of Mr. Methane somewhere
biggrin.gif

Now that is a recording that is definitely NOT FOR PUBLIC CONSUMPTION
evil_smiley.gif

Sound as ever.

Jan 23, 2002 at 2:28 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

file props say 16 bit

Dude, it is 16 bit. That was a question? They're still redbook CD, which is, was, and always will be, 16 bit. It's not even encoded. There's a code there, yes, in the LSB, but it just tells the player what of two filters to use. There's a white paper .pdf file somewhere on the www.hdcd.com site...here, try this

(Looks up "Mr. Methane" in the recording section...) Would that be under "M" for "Mr." or "M" for "Methane"...hey! There's no Mr. Methane listed on the HDCD site!...

Jan 23, 2002 at 1:55 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

HDCD-encoded CDs sound better because they are encoded with 20 bits of real musical information, as compared with 16 bits for all other CDs. HDCD overcomes the limitation of the 16-bit CD format by using a sophisticated system to encode the additional 4 bits onto the CD while remaining completely compatible with the existing CD format.

i would have thought that the dae to produce the wav file would just extract the 'normal' red book 16 bit info, and lose these extra 4bits (as detailed above).
but this successful test of andrzejpw's means that it should be theoretically possible to burn a cdr of an hdcd without doing anything clever, and have an hdcd encoded cdr.
just didn't expect it to work, is all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back