HD800 Listening at CanJam
May 26, 2009 at 2:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Tyll Hertsens

Garmentus Vulgaris & Headphoneus Supremus
Member of the Trade: Innerfidelity
The most common complaint of any meet is it's so hard to get a good listen.
It would be a shame if people didn't get a good listen with the 800s.
So, we are going to run a silent room at CanJam. You can ask us questions outside the room.

We will have two running unbalanced on Ultra Desktops with UltraDACs as sources.
and two running balanced from Balanced Ultra Desktops and Ultra Desktop DACs.
The listening stations will have CD players digitally feeding the UDAC; Wadia and Krell for the balanced,
and some provided by Sennheiser on the unbalanced.

We'll have a really good demo disk that I'd recommend for some really good quality recordings,
but I'm sure you have your reference disks, please feel free to use use them. We will help you get started.

There'll be two lines, one for balanced and one for unbalanced, and we'll usher you to your listening station.
Listening sessions will be ten minutes, unless no one is waiting, then it's as long as you would like.

Hope every one is good with this.

(Don't know how many Qs I'll be able to answer as I'm in full on getting stuff ready mode, but I'll try.)

See you there.

May 26, 2009 at 3:34 AM Post #2 of 10
Fantastic idea with the silent room and a very nice touch allowing people to use their own reference tracks. Thank you for your efforts Tyll and Headroom.

We should be able to get some really solid impressions of both balanced and se with the silent environment. I can't wait to start reading on Saturday!

May 26, 2009 at 3:36 AM Post #3 of 10
Tyll, I am on the pre-order waiting list for the HD 800 and I am planning to get the BUDA/UDAC combo at the meet. I am a little worry about the line. Do you think there is any way for people like me to make an appointment prior to the meet either on Saturday or Sunday for the audition? I would like to audition both the balance and single ended version.

Furthermore, is there a way to connect my Ipod with a LOD to the system if I bring one. I know it is not as nice as Wadia and Krell, but it is something that I am very familiar with and I can instantly tell if there is any difference and by how much. I am very excited and looking forward to this weekend. Thanks.

May 26, 2009 at 12:52 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jalo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am a little worry about the line. ..... is there a way to connect my Ipod with a LOD to the system if I bring one.

I'm worried about the line, too. Are you going to be there Sunday? My guess is that by the time you get to Sunday afternoon, the line will be gone or minimal.

Also, I will have some extra cables and I can hook up your iPod, but I gotta stick with the rules. You can get right back in line though.

May 26, 2009 at 1:42 PM Post #6 of 10
Excellent foresight.
smily_headphones1.gif
This is fantastic news about the "silent room." Also, I like the orderliness of it all.

May 26, 2009 at 2:59 PM Post #7 of 10
The whole "Silent Room" treatment is going to be an overall theme at CanJam 2009. With there being a bunch of smaller rooms instead of one main large one, having Vendor rooms and Member rooms separate, there will be less overall noise in general.

Overall, please be courteous and keep talking inside rooms at a minimum, the hallways will have lots of space and lounge areas for socializing and talking in general.

-Ed

May 26, 2009 at 3:19 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The whole "Silent Room" treatment is going to be an overall theme at CanJam 2009.

That's good to hear, Ed ... literally.
dt880smile.png

May 26, 2009 at 8:32 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm worried about the line, too. Are you going to be there Sunday? My guess is that by the time you get to Sunday afternoon, the line will be gone or minimal.

Also, I will have some extra cables and I can hook up your iPod, but I gotta stick with the rules. You can get right back in line though.

I will be there from Saturday noon to earlier Sunday afternoon. If I wait till Sunday I may miss the whole audition if the line does not disappear. I don't want to take that risk. Besides, don't you think, Tyll, that you ought to give your cash paying customers a little bit priority? Especially for those of us that have been waiting on the preorder HD800 list plus orders of the HR BUDA/UDAC combo? That's why I was suggesting for those of us in the waiting list already that we're allow to set up an appointment prior to arrival. After all, we support you with our cash.

May 26, 2009 at 10:12 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jalo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Besides, don't you think, Tyll, that you ought to give your cash paying customers a little bit priority?

No. It's a show for all who attend ... sheesh, half the people there are HeadRoom customers. I couldn't possibly keep track.

Nope first come, first served.

One little hint though, come by Fri and Sat night, you never know when the room will be open after hours.
(It's likely not going to be too quiet though.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back