HD600's vs 7506's
Oct 21, 2001 at 10:55 PM Post #17 of 21
The famous ear plugs, lol. I have read many posts regarding these in the highest of regard (and to be honest i am curious to hear them!). Maybe someday in the future i'll try these out, but for some reason (you know what happens when you visit headphone.com, u just want to buy buy buy!!! lol) i'm leaning towards the 600's and an amp, i am edging towards the Corda to get a better deal with Jan Meier. Comments, as always, are welcome.

George

Oct 21, 2001 at 10:58 PM Post #18 of 21
gloco,

As so many have pointed out, the 7506's and HD-600's are very different sounding 'phones. I own both (two of each), and adore them both. Lately I've been listening to the HD-600's more than the 7506's for most music (about a 70/30 split versus the 50/50 of not too long ago), and find that the HD-600's are more musical with most of the classical and jazz I listen to most of the time.

There are exceptions -- there's something more magical (to me at least) about, for example, the Gladiator soundtrack through the V6/7506's. Also, heavier rock music (like anything by Tool) also sound very impactful through the V6/7506's, as well as some of my bluegrass and blues albums.

If you have a chance to listen to the HD-600's in your rig, take advantage of it. They're fantastic 'phones to my ears.

Oct 21, 2001 at 11:11 PM Post #19 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by gloco
Hi Kwkarth,

So are you saying the Corda isnt the best amp for the HD600's?

In your opinion, which amp works best with these cans (price up to $350).

As for the Creek model you mentioned, why does one can sound better in a jack than the other?

I haven't really looked at the AKG's, but can they compete with the 501's? I keep reading the 600's are the closest Dynamic can (in sound quality) compared to a electrostat. Thanks in advance for any info/clarification!

George

I have not heard the Corda, but from all I've read, I want to buy one. I suspect it's a great amp.

I have the Creek OBH-11SE and so I can say with some authority and a sample size of 1 that it works great with these cans. I like it better than the OBH-11 (non-SE). The two are completely different amps and the SE is easily worth he extra $$ in my opinion. As I said earlier, it looks to me like the Corda should be a fantastic amp and I would like to try one myself. I am also interested in Jan's Analoger as well. Some day...
smily_headphones1.gif

The Creek SE model has two output jacks designed to drive cans of different impedances much like the Corda does. This way you have the opportunity to better match the amp to the requirements of your headphones for best sound quality.

My opinion is not at all universal here and I'm actually in the minority on this one, but I feel that the AKG 501's are easily in the same class as the Sennheiser HD-600's. They're quite different and they require more power than the Senns, so I don't believe most people have given them a completely objective and proper evaluation. Of course, sound is such a subjective thing, you have to buy what sounds good to your ears. You're the guy that has to live with your purchase.

IMO, both the Senns and AKG are great sounding cans and each have their weak points and strong points. The Senns will catch more people's attention because they are more easily driven and will be "louder" for a given knob position on the dial. That, in and of itself means nothing, but many people never get beyond that point.

Best of luck with your decision and enjoy the music!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 21, 2001 at 11:13 PM Post #20 of 21
BTW, I have to agree with Jude's observations about the 600s vs the 7506s.

Oct 21, 2001 at 11:46 PM Post #21 of 21
I think your two posts have enlightned me quite a bit more. I will definitely try the Senn's once i test them but if the AKG's are available to test i will try those as well. I cant wait to get my hands on a "Audiophile" set of cans.

Now i need somewhere to mount them, maybe above my Television!

George

Users who are viewing this thread

Back