HD600 cable upgrades - please help
Jul 9, 2003 at 7:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

hedonist

100+ Head-Fier
I'm currently looking to upgrade my stock HD600 cable to either an Equinox or a Cardas replacement cable. Problem is, I don't know if a) it'll be worth it, or b) which one I should get. Currently I'm using a Meta42 with an OPA627 and a rather poor source. I mainly listen to rock music (all kinds of it), with a little bit of accoustic stuff in the mix. I like really detailed highs as well as articulate, thumping lows. Which cable will give me the sound I'm after? Furthermore, is a cable upgrade even worth it with the amplifier I'm using? Thanks for the help.

Jul 9, 2003 at 10:09 PM Post #2 of 13
I use the Cardas cable and could never go back to the stock cable. It add's alot of detail across the frequency range and the bass seems to go a little lower and cleaner sounding. I have not heard the Equinox but I would still take it over the stock cable. If you check with www.zucable.com they are in the process of having after market cables for the HD600's also. It's not on there website yet, but you can email them and see how long before they're ready. If you do a search hear and in the headphone section you will find alot of info on these cables. Good luck.

Jul 10, 2003 at 12:03 AM Post #3 of 13
IMO and according to some other headfiers the Grado 325 (I've never heard it), the Beyer DT770 or the CD3000 (I did both) are a much better match for rock (the music of your choice) than the HD600 with the best cable you can get, I don't think the amp will be a problem, but if you let me choose, I will get another headphopne for rock, and will let the HD600 for the acoustic stuff which sounds fantastic on it, your choice. If you love the sound of it, and do not want ot replace it, the Equinox is considered a better cable for the members who like the cables swap (I do not), but even with this, I still preffer other headphones better for rock listening (my choice also) than the HD600, but is not a secret that I'm a CD3000 lover so my opinion is strongly biased toward it, but not completelly wrong, OK?
3000smile.gif
3000smile.gif

Jul 10, 2003 at 12:16 AM Post #4 of 13
I've had or still have the three other phones that Sovkiller mentioned in his post. The 325's, and DT770's are IMO no where near the same league as the CD-3000 or the Senn's with any kind of music. If you do get another pr. of headphones get the Cd-3000. But if you keep the HD600, upgrade the cable and you have a better headphone than you have now. The CD-3000 are also very easy to drive so your amp will not be an issue. I like the HD600's more than the CD-3000, but with the Meta42 I had I liked the CD-3000's more than the HD600.

Jul 10, 2003 at 1:15 AM Post #5 of 13
I was actually considering the DT-770 Pros just to have a good pair of closed headphones (I'll be living in the dorms next year, and isolation will be very nice). I'd probably use them 60% for gaming, 40% for music. From what I understand, they are quite boomy which would be great for games. And if I'm not mistaken, the DT 250-80s, with their much lower impedance, paired with the Meta is a very boomy combo, which would be even better for what I'd use them for? Which one provides more isolation?

Well, that was a bit off topic. I plan on keeping my HD600s, but it seems like very few people have had experience with both the Equinox and the Cardas cables. I've heard the Cardas cables are a bit more aggressive in the high end while the Equinox cables are more balanced? Maybe a more aggressive cable would be a bit better for my current laid-back combo? Thanks.

Jul 11, 2003 at 10:09 PM Post #6 of 13
Hedonist - I have the Cardas cable for my HD-600 and I think it allows the HD-600 to shine, but I really think that $100-$150 could go a long way to getting a better source. A cable can't make your system sound better, it can only keep it from sounding worse. Upgrading your source on the other hand will give you a better signal to start with. Then when you get some more money down the road, put it into better cables.

edit -- the cardas is not aggressive in the high end. The cable is very smooth. It just opens up the sound of the HD-600's a bit, so if the source sounds aggressive, the cardas cable is more likely to reveal that

Jul 11, 2003 at 11:58 PM Post #7 of 13
Actually I disagree. I don't know what source hedonist has but outside of him going from a PCP to a standalone cdp, I doubt $100-$150 will get him much in terms of an upgrade.

I have the Cardas cables. I have never tried anything else. I don't think you can go wrong with either but I would recommend the Cardas. In the HD600's situation I think the Cardas cables are the second best value for the money. Second best because I feel a good pair of interconnect did more for me than the Cardas cables. Everything is relative of course. I had a $20 AR interconnect and going from that to a sightly under $100 Ultralink interconnect did more for me than the Cardas cable. Sound was even better when I moved up in interconnect grade. But the Cardas cables are really a good upgrade. I have a Sony XE670 and a SCDC555ES. Everything being equal, I liked the sound coming from the XE670 w/ Cardas cables than the sound I got from the 555ES w/o the Cardas cables. Cables really is a component by itself.

Source is very important but it really depends on what you have and what you plan to upgrade to. You get what you paid for. In most cases you really need to double the price to get more performance. Same with cables but you can easily get much better with fewer $.

Jul 12, 2003 at 6:50 AM Post #8 of 13
hedonist,

The differences with upgrading a cable WILL be noticeable given what you have right now. However, the cable upgrade is much much more noticeable as you improve your source, interconnect, and amp as well.

Go with the equinox if you are using a bad source and are listening to mostly rock, although its a close decision.

Then again, the Cardas is a pinch more revealing on the top end which might, mind you I say might, do better for rock because there will be a tad more forwardness.

The equinox is supposed to totally extend the bass, much improve the treble, and offers a greatly smooth non fatiguing sound. Good for not so great recordings.

The cardas does a good job of extending and tightening bass, improves treble, and offers a more analytical sound because whilst the equinox refines the treble the cardas does the same and emphasizes it a tad more than the equinox. Both cables are supposed to be pretty darn cool.

I have only heard the cardas, but those who have heard both state these are the differences.

I suggest Jude's review of HD600 replacement cables.
======================
Oh, and one more thing. Don't trade off the HD600s for a different headphone. Chances are you will hate what you hear and feel disappointed in the end; I find the HD600s to be the most accurate headphone I have listened to. The HD600 + cable upgrade is a real incredible audio deal. I suggest strongly considering it.

Also,
I personally love the rich powerful sound of HD600s for rock music. In a live rock concert I prefer being well behind the mosh pit but close enough to capture the emotion of the recording. I like standing and absorbing the energy of the performance.

Cheers,
Geek

Jul 13, 2003 at 6:04 AM Post #9 of 13
Ditto everything Geek has said. I have owned both and his asessment of each cable is spot on. I personally perfer the sound of the Equinox myself. But again, read his descriptions of each and there you go...

Jul 14, 2003 at 10:15 AM Post #10 of 13
I have the 590s w/ the Equinox cable and the difference is pretty substantial. The improvement is across the scale, bigger soundstage, cleaner, deeper bass, fullness across the mid-range.

I can't say if the Cardas are better than Equinox for the 600s, because I've never heard the Equinox on the 600s, but I can tell you the improvement over the stock cable that I realized was worth the $ to me.
I had a hard time at first with the concept of paying almost as much for the cable as I did for the phones, so I finally settled on the idea that the 590s are worth much more than the $170 I paid for them!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 16, 2003 at 10:53 PM Post #11 of 13
...and even out of the headphone jack of my low-end Pioneer receiver, I can definitely hear a difference with the Cardas-cabled HD600! It makes the stock cabled HD600 that I had been listening to all those months sound subdued and veiled in comparison.

The Cardas cable, in the factory-made lengths, come in 10- and 20-foot versions (I bought the 10-foot version).

Jul 17, 2003 at 6:13 PM Post #12 of 13
Did anybody ever tried to use a good extension cable (Grado?) as a replacement for the stock cable on HD600?

I mean, getting a Grado extension, cut it, then solder it to the HD600...

If so, which were the results?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back