HD598s: Packed Into A $150 Isolating IEM
Sep 25, 2014 at 1:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

TRapz

500+ Head-Fier
A few months ago I visited a headphone store that had the Sennheiser RS180. These are an opened back, wireless headphone that supposedly sound very much like the HD598. I put them on, and literally said, "Wow." Everything was perfect- the sound signature was exactly what I wanted. Now, I'm searching for IEMs and I want to get the same kind of sound and "wow" feeling that I got with the RS180. I know that many more people have used the HD598, so it would be very helpful if anyone who has used either this, the RS180, or the HD558 and has found an IEM that is similar and could tell me a little about it. I'll be running the IEM from a FiiO X1, which is supposed to have a slightly warm/neutral sound, and also has a good equalizer. I need good isolation as well, I'll be on a very loud bus everyday. Build quality must be good as well; I'd be thrilled with detachable cables but it's not necessary. I also need all of this for under $150, and preferably under $125. Right now I'm looking at:
RE-400-
From reviews, seems to have the right sound signature, good soundstage, but isolation and build quality seem to be lacking slightly.

GR07 Classic-
Seem to be similar to the RE-400 but more rough and with more warmth, yet isolation on this seems like it may not be enough.

ATH IM70 & IM01-
The IM70 seems like it would work well, though I'm afraid of it being too bassy with the warm X1. The IM01 has almost no reviews.

Shure SE215-
Isolation seems wonderful, but again, with the X1 being a slightly warm player, may have too much bass. Soundstage also seems to be not enough.

I'd really prefer to keep the price under $150, as this is already very high to me, but maybe up to $170 would be okay. I cannot test out any of these unfortunately (the shop I visited was when I was visiting relatives and the selection was a little limited, mostly V-Moda, Sennheiser, and Audio-Technica). Right now I'm leaning towards the IM70/01 and the GR07. Any recommendations and responses are highly appreciated. Thanks for reading. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back