HD497 portable uses?
Oct 20, 2002 at 9:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Psycosis

New Head-Fier
I've just bought myself a new mp3-player and is now in the hunt for a good pair of headphones to use with it. I will mostly be on the run when i use them so i want a pair that I can use on the bus, train, in the city etc. I want them to look pretty decent so i im not into earbud and clip a whole lot. What i really looking for is something similar to Grado SR60. But what I understand those have an extreme leakage and are therefor not suitable for portable use. Therefor I wonder if Sennheiser HD497 could be good? They are also open so some in-out leakage are probably to count with but can u live with it?
biggrin.gif
Or is it as bad as SR60?

Another option is Sennheiser HD212 Pro. Since it is closed i guess it is a better option due to better isolation. Although i wonder, do they make you very warm after some hours in use? I dont wanna go around and sweat.

I know my best bet probably is Koss KCS35 but they look so darn ugly. I can sacrifice a bit sound for looks
biggrin.gif

Oct 20, 2002 at 11:20 AM Post #2 of 4
How about a Sony D66 Eggo? Available from AudioCubes.com...

I personally like the HD 212 Pro when outside, but for outside only. It does have a very strong bass which is not always welcome.

Oct 20, 2002 at 9:28 PM Post #3 of 4
The 497s are great phones, and don't leak too much, but still, they are open, so you'll get sound from the outside.

One of the sealed Sennheisers is probably your best bet if you don't want sound coming in.

Oct 21, 2002 at 1:24 AM Post #4 of 4
There's plenty written about the 497s. To answer you question very briefly, they work great out of a portable. They don't leak as much as the SR60s. Compared to the SR60s. there's more bass and less brightness, but it's still a similar sound, but to me more balanced. I love both phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back