HD-800 amp discussion
Aug 12, 2014 at 2:46 AM Post #106 of 110

1) Robert from Aphroditecu29.co did it for me. He was trying to convince me to go hardwired but I did not want to loose the flexibility of changing cables so he came out with this option.

2) I am using EML 300B Mesh, USF 596 and normally TS BGRP 6F8G. Sometimes I also use Mullard ECC32 or Sylvania 6SN7WGT Brwon base/Chrome Top. I also used to use the EML 5U4G rectifiers and Brimar 5R4GY.

3) No, I have not tried it becuase with the OCC copper cable and the new internal wire I did not feel it was needed. I have the template but tried it yet.

4) Funny, I actually like them....

My favourite tubes combination with the WA5 is the AVVT32B + TS BGRP 6SN7 + GEC U52. Better than the Royal Princess imo. 

Aug 24, 2014 at 6:02 AM Post #107 of 110
hello guys, where do i start,,,, i plan on getting the hd800 but i heard you need a good amp, what is one that fully brings it out to full potential? (is this what everyone's going for?)

also if i get a dac/amp is it good choice? what would dac be used for?

theres so many amps i just wanna make sure i get the right one.

Aug 24, 2014 at 7:28 AM Post #108 of 110
@Caguioa: I'm sure you will get plenty of good advice here, but it would help if you provided more details, like:
- what is your current setup and how do you intend to use the headphones (i.e. with a desktop computer, in a lounge room with a CD player, or maybe on the go)
- what are your listening needs and preferences (games/movies/music, genres/artists)
- what are the most important attributes of the HD800 that you want to explore (i.e. soundstage, detail, tonal balance)
- how much are you prepared to spend
There's no single amp that is considered the best match for the HD800. The best we can do is try to determine what would be the best amp for you.

Rgearding the DAC - it is a device that converts sounds from digital format (in which they are generated/stored/transmitted) to analog form, which is necessary for reproduction. An amp will expect analog signal to be delivered to its input. If you have a CD player or a PC with a soundcard, you already have a DAC. You need to decide if it's good enough for your needs. Generally high resolution headphones like HD800 benefit from investment in a better DAC.

Aug 24, 2014 at 7:57 AM Post #109 of 110
  @Caguioa: I'm sure you will get plenty of good advice here, but it would help if you provided more details, like:
- what is your current setup and how do you intend to use the headphones (i.e. with a desktop computer, in a lounge room with a CD player, or maybe on the go)
- what are your listening needs and preferences (games/movies/music, genres/artists)
- what are the most important attributes of the HD800 that you want to explore (i.e. soundstage, detail, tonal balance)
- how much are you prepared to spend
There's no single amp that is considered the best match for the HD800. The best we can do is try to determine what would be the best amp for you.

Rgearding the DAC - it is a device that converts sounds from digital format (in which they are generated/stored/transmitted) to analog form, which is necessary for reproduction. An amp will expect analog signal to be delivered to its input. If you have a CD player or a PC with a soundcard, you already have a DAC. You need to decide if it's good enough for your needs. Generally high resolution headphones like HD800 benefit from investment in a better DAC.

Very sound advice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back