HD 580 v HD 590
Nov 15, 2002 at 11:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

blip

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm trying to decide between getting an HD 580 v HD 590. Which one do you prefer and why?

Nov 15, 2002 at 11:59 PM Post #2 of 13
Personally, I prefer the hd580/hd600s. The sound is much more neutral and transparent. To me, the 590s are a bit too bright, and the soundstage really isn't there compared to the 590s.

ymmv, of course.

Nov 16, 2002 at 12:28 AM Post #3 of 13
I will admit to have not heard the 580's but I hear that they sound remarkably similar to the 600's, that being said I own both the 590's and the 600's and have never found the 590's to be bright as others have said. I find the 590's to be a bit more laid back than the 600's, which is what I like in my music, I have stated many times this very thing when it comes to phones paired with certain amps. My suggestion to you is to audition them both if possible using a cd that you are very familiar with as a reference. I wouldn't give up either set of phones, they are both great, just for different reasons.

Nov 16, 2002 at 12:38 AM Post #4 of 13
Hrm, you have a HeadRoom Little, and HD590 and an HD600 and find the HD590 more laid back. That's quite opposite to what I'd have expected.

I heard the HD590 on the Maxed Out Home with whatever outdated CD player they had at the World of Headphones tour and at various kiosks in stores out of some cheap portable with a lossy switcher... and I found them bright enough for me that I didn't explore the issue further.

bkelly usually seeks out posts like this one since he's quite convinced the HD590 betters the HD600 in accuracy. He may be leaning now toward a belief that the HD590s need the Equinox cable, which he bought for them, to do so. I've, of course, never heard that combination on anything.

Buying blind, the HD580 is a safer bet IF you plan to get an amp and a decent source and the 580 will be easier to resell--the 590 should be much easier to drive from a portable, soundcard, etc.

Nov 16, 2002 at 3:00 AM Post #5 of 13
IMO, I think the 590's are superior to the 580 AND 600's in every way shape and form. I own the 590's and have heard the others demoed in a store - so I do have more experience w/ the 590's and my ears are more accustomed to it...but it seemed pretty obvious when going to the 580/600's from the 590's that they just weren't up to par w/ the 590's. I can't really go into detail as I don't own both and haven't reviewed each extensively. I don't find the 590's BRIGHT in comparison to the 580's whatsoever. I definitely think the 590's are more 'accurate' sonically than the "fantasy" sound the 600's produce. That's all I'm going to say until I audition each of them further....

Nov 16, 2002 at 5:05 AM Post #6 of 13
kelly, actually I have a headroom little and a mg head and find the hd590 to be more laid back in both instances, but again it's just my opinion. It's not that I prefer either one over the other in all situations, they just exhibit a slightly different sound quality. For my taste I prefer both phones paired with the little although I'm still not sure I have found the right tube pairing for the mg head yet.

Nov 16, 2002 at 6:03 AM Post #7 of 13
You find the 590 more laid back? I thought everyone said the 580/600 was more laid back. Is that what you meant?

Anyway, I've tried the 590, but only on a discman, and I haven't tried the 580 or the 600, so I guess my opinion should be taken with something pretty salty. However, I thought it was a good phone. The sound stage was better than any other headphone I've heard. (Mostly sonys with the F1 in the lead and a few other things hardly worth mentioning) It wasn't like listening to speakers, but it was certanly around me and not just in my head and that was nice. Even with the bad source it was fairly clear and had a reasonable amount of authority. I didn't find it to be too bright, but I seem to tolorate that more than most people even though I have good hearing. The detail was pretty decent too, but I think it would take an amp and a better source to bring it out more. People say they bennefit quite a lot from a well matched amp and a new cable and I belive it, it sounded for sure like they were holding something back. That said it would be pretty easy to find a lot of cans that didn't sound as good comming streight out of a discman. The frequency responce seemed realitavely flat, as advertised and I couldn't detect much color, though I doubt I'm qualified to do so anyway.

Nov 16, 2002 at 6:34 AM Post #8 of 13
fyrfytrhoges
I appreciate you posting your views and I'm not trying to take issue with them. I understand that it's only your opinion with your ears and your system and all that. What I wonder if... in my opinion, both the Little and MG Head were considerably rolled off on the top extremes. I wonder if the HD590 without it's brightness in that region seems more laid back. It's difficult for me to imagine and my experience with the 590 was too brief but I think I can understand how your components might have worked out for each other.

The MG Head isn't everyone's bag no matter what you do to it. I think it probably has a softer bottom than the Little even with the best tubes in it and that might be one draw to the Little. I'd still try the Raytheon if you haven't, though. The Raytheon in the MG Head with the HD600 was a beautiful combination.

Nov 16, 2002 at 9:50 AM Post #9 of 13
I actually prefered the 590's to the 580's. The tad of brightness offered by them actually sounded good to my ears and I can't really understand people who are referring to these phones as "too bright".

Nov 16, 2002 at 7:57 PM Post #10 of 13
So the HD590s are the SR125 of the Grado world eh ~ with lots of extra bite in the treble??

One thing of interest... the HD600 appears to have stopped being bought into hi-fi shops in the UK now (in my area at least... the HD590 now sits at the top of the pile)....

Maybe the new Senns are on their way
biggrin.gif

How much difference does an amp make between the HD570 and HD590? - I have heard both UN-amped, and couldn't tell any difference between the two (although it was 'in-store' so, blame it on that, rather than me being tone deaf... if you think i'm talking rubbish
wink.gif
)

Nov 16, 2002 at 8:12 PM Post #11 of 13
I tried the 590 and 570 side by side, also unamped from the discman and the 590s were clearly better too me. Someone said that the 570s were like 590s with cotton balls in your ears and I think they were right on. The sound stage is smaller, there is less detail, I don't think they have much going for them.

Nov 17, 2002 at 12:06 AM Post #12 of 13
kelly, I wasn't taking any offense to your comments, don't take it that way, I also appreciate the comments you post. I think you're probably right about my system, it just works for me at this point. Who knows, if I bought that rega planet cd I have wanted for six months the 590 might be totally outclassed by the 600, or in the case of the rathyeon as well may make a huge difference. If I find one I'll pick it up and post about it.

Nov 17, 2002 at 3:33 AM Post #13 of 13
Thanks for all of the input. I decided to go with the HD580s because their price was considerably better. (Newegg has them for $120!!) That way I'll have more money to buy music with!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back