Have AD700s need advice on next phone
Jun 8, 2009 at 8:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

talan7

Headphoneus Supremus
I have the Audio Technica AD700s. I love how they sound but the bass doesn't have enough impact for me. I want to move up to something with the soundstage of the AD700s but with more bass. I read that the A900 have good bass (closed). Is it dramatically better than the AD700? I will be using them with my ipod and my E5 for now but am looking for a good portable amp so a headphone, portable amp combination recommend would be ideal.

Jun 8, 2009 at 9:00 PM Post #2 of 7
A900s have pretty negligible soundstage.

The problem is that most headphones that have a large soundstage tend to be open and open headphones tend to be slightly bass impact light. I'll put it this way, if you use the bass boost function of the E5 on your AD700s, you aren't going to find many open headphones (outside of an HD650) that have much more bass impact than that.

The HD650 might be your best bet, but it seems out of your price range and will need much more power than a portable amp can provide to really get it to open up.

Jun 8, 2009 at 9:24 PM Post #4 of 7
Yeah it's quite hard to get AD like soundstaging while at the same time having appreciable bass slam. I've owned the A900LTD and AD900, the closed ones had decent soundstage for a closed headphone but not even close to how wide the ADs were. The lack of bass impact in the AD900 was one of the reasons I got rid of mine as well.

Check out the Ultrasone 2200 and 2500. Both are open but have sound signatures that favor bass, with the Proline 2500 supposed to be the more refined of the two. I've only tried tie Proline 750 (closed version of the 2500) and it had great bass.

Jun 8, 2009 at 9:48 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by talan7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What are the advantages of the A900s over the AD700S?

More bass impact and the fact that they're closed and thus provide some sound isolation. Other than that, the AD700s beat them in every way.

Jun 8, 2009 at 9:58 PM Post #6 of 7
I've fallen in love with the AD700 soundstage but must have more a little more bass impact. I'm wondering if I'd be happier with the AD900 or the A900s? If the AD900 gave a noticeable increase in bass I'd be happy but it'd have to be noticeable. On the other hand if the closed A900s have good bass I'm wondering if the lack of soundstage would ruin it for me? I'm leaning towards the A900 just for variety and so I could listen to them in bed and not bother my wife. She claims the AD700 are just like speakers, she can hear everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back