Has audio gear ever taken you to another place?
Feb 19, 2017 at 9:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

TenderTendon

100+ Head-Fier
   Not literally, of course. We all know that's not possible, right? If it is possible, Mods please move this to the "Sound Science" forum, as I'll need to do some catching up. I'm talking about a piece(s) of audio equipment that was able to make you feel that you were somewhere else, even if just for a second. During my 54 years on this planet, I've only had the pleasure to experience this twice.

The first time: When I was about 15 years old (late 70's), I used to spend a lot of time hanging out at a local stereo shop. There were 4 listening rooms, but the one that haunted me was the room in the back, where all the really good stuff was. I managed to take a peek in there several times, but never actually went in. Kids were never allowed back there. One day, one of the salesmen asked me if I wanted to go in the back and listen to some stuff. He must have been bored or just felt sorry for me. Of course I said yes. I was in complete awe the entire time I was in there. One of the things he had me listen to was a pair a very large speakers located in the corners. They were Klipschorn's, but I didn't know that at the time. I was waiting for the salesman to start a song, when I hear this loud, slamming sound that compressed my entire body. He didn't say a word. I had goosebumps all over. Right then and there, I was sitting inside of a car, with someone closing the door. He was playing a demo tape of sound effects, and one of them was an extremely good recording of a car door being slammed shut, with the microphone inside the car. He played it several times for me, and every time it transported me to the seat of an automobile, no matter how hard I tried to prepare for it. I was very confused about what I just listened to. Spooky..

The second time (35 years later): I was thinking about getting a new pair of headphones and was fortunate enough to have quite a bit of expendable cash at the time, so I got the Sennheiser HD800S. I spent quite a bit of time with them, enjoying my favorite tunes all over again. I was very happy with them. On night, I was laying in my recliner listening, and John Mayer's "Gravity" starts playing. I hadn't heard this song yet on the 800's. I am immediately transported to the stage of a small bar, 20 years ago. I spent most of my life as a working guitar player. I always stand stage left, with a drummer just to my right. Because of this, a high hat cymbal in my right ear is something that I know very, very well. The high hat cymbal on that song is recorded so well and the 800S reproduces it so accurately that it can put me on a stage, listening to a live drummer. No other phones, with this song, or any other has ever given me this feeling. A very rare, unique synergy.

If anyone else has any stories to share, please do. If you have never experienced something like this, I hope you get the chance. It is really something.

Feb 19, 2017 at 9:48 PM Post #2 of 10
To the poorhouse......    
ph34r.gif

Feb 19, 2017 at 10:01 PM Post #3 of 10
It happens from time to time, if I use enough drugs.
wink.gif

Feb 22, 2017 at 9:31 PM Post #5 of 10
I'm sure somebody has been taken by their audio system to the couch, after their wife found out how much he just spent again.

Isn't it funny how, if you found out how much she spent on shoes and handbags, she wouldn't be going to the couch, but all the more would she be on the bed.

Mar 10, 2017 at 6:07 PM Post #6 of 10
It happened during CanJam NYC this year for me actually. I was at the end of my 3 hour listening session with various vendors and products, I was at the Noble booth, already listened to the Katana. I waited for the Kaiser Encore because Innerfidelity was doing a video interview with Brannan, as I listened to my demo song with my UERR to reset my "taste buds" if you will. I put the Encores into my ears, started playback, adjusted the volume as the intro started playing. I had been using this song for the entire show with all of the other vendors and products, so I was just focused on picking out the technical detail differences in the listening experience. I didn't use any special equipment for this, just the Encore connected to my iPhone 7 Plus via the Apple Lightning connector. The song played thru the first verse, the sound was incredible, but nothing really jumped out at me.

Then the second verse started and between two lines, I heard a trembling breath by the artist, which I had never heard before on that song using any other audio equipment. It was like a switch had been flipped, I found myself back in the courtroom 8 years ago, responding mechanically to the judge "yes your honor", my ex wife and her lawyer at the table to my left. Looking down at the table in front of me and my divorce papers along with all the supporting documents, stacked neatly like the magazines on the coffee table of a dentist office.

The song ended and I came back to the chair in the noisy room, not knowing what to make of what just happened.

Hope that answers your question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back