Has anyone tried this?
Jan 3, 2005 at 10:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

perdomot

100+ Head-Fier
My main problem with the AV-710 has been the crappy Line In and it appears I can't add another sound card while the 710 is installed but I was wondering if I can use the mobos built in Line In port. Has anyone with a 710 card tried this? Thanks.

Jan 3, 2005 at 11:22 PM Post #3 of 9
However, some motherboards don't like having a PCI sound card enabled at the same time as onboard sound. It can't hurt to try, though. If there's a setting for the onboard sound in the BIOS, see if you can force it to 'on' or 'yes' (rather than auto, off or no).

Jan 4, 2005 at 3:58 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamWill
However, some motherboards don't like having a PCI sound card enabled at the same time as onboard sound. It can't hurt to try, though. If there's a setting for the onboard sound in the BIOS, see if you can force it to 'on' or 'yes' (rather than auto, off or no).

Unless you can specify a specific example, i've never heard of a motherboard that disables when another is plugged in. First off the motherboard has no way of "knowing" if another soundcard is installed, its just another card plugged in as far as it is concerned. Second you sould be able to run as many sound cards on a motherboard as there are slots to plug them in. There is NO limit to the number of sound cards you can run, thats just a myth.

Jan 4, 2005 at 9:59 AM Post #5 of 9
I connect my gaming mic to the line-in of my onboard audio (soundmax)together with my chaintech as sound output and it works perfectly.

Jan 4, 2005 at 3:42 PM Post #6 of 9
Well, I stuck the TBSC in the rig and Windows didn't see it. I ran the driver set up, rebooted and still nothing. For whatever reason, I couldn't get Windows to see the card, much less output any sound.

Jan 4, 2005 at 10:02 PM Post #7 of 9
Well, I found a work around to the Line In problem!
biggrin.gif

I cleared out everything and re-enabled the onboard audio. Next I installed the 710 and assigned it the playback duties and gave the A97 the recording duties. Works fine except the line in audio is very loud but I can adjust that with the recording/editing program. The audio from the onboard line in is nice and clean and the playback on the 710 is excellent. Also found out that my receiver only outputs resampled 96khz through the two main channels so I droped the resample rate to 48 and it sounds great. Things are looking up.
280smile.gif

Jan 5, 2005 at 2:16 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by llmobll
Unless you can specify a specific example, i've never heard of a motherboard that disables when another is plugged in. First off the motherboard has no way of "knowing" if another soundcard is installed, its just another card plugged in as far as it is concerned. Second you sould be able to run as many sound cards on a motherboard as there are slots to plug them in. There is NO limit to the number of sound cards you can run, thats just a myth.

The part about a motherboard not knowing if its got a soundcard or not isn't completely true, using plug and play it knows what the card is.

Jan 5, 2005 at 2:27 AM Post #9 of 9
actually, ||mob|| is mostly right - what I posted doesn't make much sense, but I've read reports of that very issue (onboard sound and PCI soundcard not working together). To be honest I expect it's more of a resource issue than anything else. The motherboard *can't* really tell what's plugged into it, he's right. Operating systems deal with Plug 'n' Play, not motherboards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back