has anyone tried the passive Taddeo Digital Antidote II?
Jul 28, 2003 at 12:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

arnett

Consigliere
http://www.taddeo-loudspeaker.com/

the Taddeo Digital Antidote II is suppose to make digital sound more like analog by correcting the phase errors inherent in the redbook standard. apparently, vocals become smoother and fatigue is reduced using the Digital Antidote II. i guess it's a poor man's corda analoguer.

i cannot tell you how many positive reviews i've read on audioasylum.com regarding the Digital Antidote II. and it's only $99! it kinda sounds like snake oil to me, though.

has anyone actually tried this thing?

Jul 28, 2003 at 4:33 AM Post #2 of 7
Well, the reviews at Good Sound and Positive-Feedback were certainly interesting.

You would think that they could attach better cabling to the device. Canare or Belden cable isn't that expensive when bought in bulk. The Positive-Feedback reviewer even talked about upgrading the RCA connectors and the cheap captive cables. That's what I call a true tweaker!

They have a 30-day return policy. Since I am currently auditioning a ton (well, half-a-ton) of interconnects I may give it a try. Though that $100 could buy me a nice isolation platform for my Stax 006t amp. Hmmm.....something to think about.

Jul 28, 2003 at 5:35 AM Post #3 of 7
Gallaine,

if you look at the DIY board at audioasylum.com, they have a lot of info on replacing the cables. it quite easy they say.

didn't you have a analoguer at one time. i e-mailed Jan and he said its no longer available (either as a kit or a whole unit).

Jul 28, 2003 at 12:11 PM Post #4 of 7
Well the price is now much more reasonable ($100) there were many of these type black boxes a few years ago, but since improved upsampling Dacs with better filtering are now used in better CDP/Dacs these devices have almost vanished.

Read the Positive Feedback review and not surprisingly best results were had with JVC CDP and portable Sony, with lesser effect on better Bel Canto Dac and Rega CDP. Before I got my Bel Canto Dacs I used to use a device like this, but sold them couple years ago.

Finally, do you really want to connect your high end ICs to that device with the super cheapie ICs/wire?
frown.gif

It might be woth getting however if you listen a lot to portable CDP, although it costs more than the portable he he.

Review

Jul 28, 2003 at 4:40 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel
Finally, do you really want to connect your high end ICs to that device with the super cheapie ICs/wire?
frown.gif

I think it would be interesting to see how much of an effect the device had in my system as opposed to replacing my current interconnects with new ones. That was really my point. Arnett pointed out that the cheapie wire is easily replaced.

And while the reviewer does say that the TDA II had more of an affect on "lower-end" equipment such as portable CDPs, he never said there wasn't any affect on higher-resolution components. In fact, I got the impression that while the results where subtle they were still noticeable.

Jul 28, 2003 at 4:53 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by Gallaine
And while the reviewer does say that the TDA II had more of an affect on "lower-end" equipment such as portable CDPs, he never said there wasn't any affect on higher-resolution components.

Gallaine,

That's not entirely true. This is from Greg Ewing's review of the non-oversampling, digital-filterless CDP "Audio Note CD 2.1x" from Issue 3 of Positive Feedback: Quote:

I found it interesting that the Audio Note player was the only digital rig in my experience that was not improved by the Taddeo Digital Antidote (passive version). There were simply no digital artifacts for the Taddeo to remove. This leads me to believe that the Taddeo device really does remove some of the audible ringing effects of brick wall filters.

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue3/audionote2.htm

Audio Note owners - we are the lucky few...
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 28, 2003 at 5:36 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by Tomcat
Gallaine,

That's not entirely true. This is from Greg Ewing's review of the non-oversampling, digital-filterless CDP "Audio Note CD 2.1x" from Issue 3 of Positive Feedback:Audio Note owners - we are the lucky few...
smily_headphones1.gif

Actually, it is true from the review link that was included in DarkAngel's post - which was from issue 1. And you missed my point. That there is one player out there not affected by the TDA II does not mean all high-rez players will not be affected - Ewing's review in issue 1 clearly states that the TDA II does have an affect on the Jupiter (high-rez in my book), albeit a small one: "Yes, it slightly tamed the Jupiter’s high end, but I didn't hear dramatic improvements elsewhere."

I am still thinking about trying one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back