Has anyone noticed hiss on some HDtracks files played on HifiMAN?
Dec 2, 2011 at 4:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

reinhard

New Head-Fier
I bought the Glenn Gould Zenph "re-peformance" recording of the Goldberg Variations in 24/96 from HDtracks, and when I play it on my HM-801 I hear what sounds like loud tape hiss, enough to make it unlistenable.  When I play the same files on my computer, or burn them to a DVD-A and play them that way, there is no hiss.  And I'm having a similar problem with some other classical 24/96 files.  Has anyone had similar experience, or thoughts about what may be causing this?

Dec 4, 2011 at 4:20 PM Post #2 of 5
I have the same problem on some of my DG recordings from HDtracks when played through the HM-801.
Tori Amos "Night of Hunters", Verdi´s "La Traviata" by Carlos Kleiber and Anna Netrebko's "Opera Arias" all suffer from noise.
Those are 24/88.2 recordings and I have not heard it on other 88.2 or 96 recordings. I play through Rockbox.

Dec 4, 2011 at 5:43 PM Post #3 of 5
I assume you are upsampling the 88.2 files to 96, to play on the HifiMan? You aren't supposed to be able to play 88.2 files on it, and I've certainly  not been able to.
I wrote to HDtracks about this, but have not received a reply; I certainly don't want to buy more stuff from them (the Glenn Gould was $20) without being sure they'll play...

Dec 5, 2011 at 12:00 PM Post #4 of 5
I am not up sampling the files. I have installed Rockbox to be able to play my SACD rips which I made on my PS3. These files are 24/88.2 and play fine without any noise. I only have problems with the HDtracks files from DG which happen to be 24/88.2. I have not heard any hiss on other albums like HDtracks Madeleine Peyroux "Standing on the Rooftop" which is 24/96. 

Dec 5, 2011 at 2:59 PM Post #5 of 5
It's the HM-801. You need to downsample the files to eliminate the hiss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back