Has Anyone Bought an LCD Monitor from Amazon Before?
May 27, 2009 at 4:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

uraflit

Headphoneus Supremus
I was comparing prices for an [size=x-small]ASUS VH242H[/size], and of course looked on Newegg first... but I live in Cali and Newegg charges tax here
mad.gif
Plus, they also charge the $16 recycling fee... so:

$230.32@Newegg <-or-> $199.99@Amazon

I am just concerned about never buying an LCD monitor from Amazon before.

Also, any comments/suggestions for a monitor at around this price range?
regular_smile .gif
I am primarily going to use this for some PC gaming and PS3 gaming. The monitor has an HDMI input for the PS3!
icon10.gif

May 27, 2009 at 7:01 PM Post #2 of 15
Often on Amazon, they're selling it indirectly (it will ship from a different retailer), but that can usually be sorted out by sheerly looking under the price, where it may say "sold by xxyy" or whatever.

Usually things are cheaper on Newegg from what I've found, but there's always room for someone else to be cheaper on certain items.

EDIT: After comparing some specs in that price range, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824009167 seems to look the best on paper to me with its exceedingly high contrast ratio, 1080P, HDMI, and 24'' size. I knocked out a few products similar to it that were 1'' smaller, didn't have as high of a contrast ratio, etc. One thing important when gaming is likely to be the response time. Always get something with 6ms or less; 2ms or less is optimal.

May 27, 2009 at 7:33 PM Post #3 of 15
Regardless of who you buy it from, verify how they ship it to make sure to goes from the seller to you via a single, trackable carrier. I had ordered a monitor from Circuit City and they used this shipping method (which is supposed to be cheaper) where Fed Ex delivers it to your local Post Office and then the P.O. completes the delivery. My monitor apparently made it to my post office (which is a few miles down the road from me) but was then somehow "lost". I did get a replacement but I had to wait a certain amount of time before it could officially be reported, it then had to be investigated, etc.

Jun 5, 2009 at 3:07 AM Post #5 of 15
Amazon, if they are the seller, is, in my view, the best retailer, online or otherwise, you will find. My Zune80 screen shattered 3 months after my money back expired, and they returned my money. Of course, I am an Amazon Prime customer, and buy tons of stuff from them, but they have been great for me. I even bought an LCD TV from them, and not a problem.

Jun 5, 2009 at 6:48 AM Post #6 of 15
For LCD, I'd go with Amazon, they have friendlier Return Policy.

Jun 6, 2009 at 11:24 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by LordofDoom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EDIT: After comparing some specs in that price range, Newegg.com - Acer H243Hbmid 24" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 40000:1 Max (ACM) Built in Speakers - LCD Monitors seems to look the best on paper to me with its exceedingly high contrast ratio, 1080P, HDMI, and 24'' size. I knocked out a few products similar to it that were 1'' smaller, didn't have as high of a contrast ratio, etc. One thing important when gaming is likely to be the response time. Always get something with 6ms or less; 2ms or less is optimal.

I second that. This is the monitor that I bought a week ago after the same research. Although, the $220ish Dell S2409W does display a larger percentage of the NTSC color gamut. The response time is, however, 5ms vs. the Acer's 2ms, and the contrast ratio is difficult to compare (dynamic vs. static, etc.). Either way, the Acer and the Dell are both certainly great potential buys.

Jun 10, 2009 at 2:26 AM Post #8 of 15
amazon is great. to the user above, i actually got the dell s2409w, its alright but i dont like the x1080 instead of the x1200.

the 5ms vs 2ms is going to make 0 difference, so dont take that into consideration.

Jun 10, 2009 at 2:56 AM Post #9 of 15
I just got the ASUS VW246H yesterday. It's a decent TN monitor for the price. I bought my current monitor from amazon about 4 years ago. No issues no problems. I'm not sure what the return policy is but it can't be worse than Neweggs.

1080 is good for the PS3 but you may want to get a 1200 for PC games. I think some of the new games support 1080P but most the older ones will want 1200.

Jun 10, 2009 at 3:02 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by coredump /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got the ASUS VW246H yesterday. It's a decent TN monitor for the price. I bought my current monitor from amazon about 4 years ago. No issues no problems. I'm not sure what the return policy is but it can't be worse than Neweggs.

1080 is good for the PS3 but you may want to get a 1200 for PC games. I think some of the new games support 1080P but most the older ones will want 1200.

i actually just went out specifically looking for a tn monitor. I know people always trash on them but the response time with their low input lag is far superior to ips or pva.

ya the 1080 was really annoying for windows games, it was like i had to pan my vision across the whole screen constantly becasue i was focusing on the middle of the screen

Jun 10, 2009 at 3:04 AM Post #11 of 15
oh ya and amazon is my favorite place to buy things, i actually like their return policy better than newegg's. they have a almost automated system and ive returned and bought so many things with no problems at all

Jun 10, 2009 at 3:14 AM Post #12 of 15
Newegg has the free 3 day shipping and Amazon has the free 5-7 day shipping. That may factor in to your decision if you plan to pay for faster shipping.

TN Panels are great for the price. I think IPS and PVA are better but they are 3 times the price.

Jun 10, 2009 at 3:17 AM Post #13 of 15
if you sign up for amazon prime trial (you can set it to not renew), its free 2 day air. pretty nice. I've been ordering all of my stuff after signing up for amazon prime. cuz im here in ca, and almost all stores charge me tax except amazon.

but ya, newegg for out of ca people would be really nice as well. my friend used to work there and he said that the people dont really take good care of the products (kinda throws it around)

Jun 10, 2009 at 4:40 AM Post #14 of 15
I bought a 32'' LCD TV from Amazon and they were fine... although the shipping company lost the 1st one. Amazon immediately shipped another and dealt with the shipping company without bugging me about it.

Jun 10, 2009 at 11:45 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by jenneth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For LCD, I'd go with Amazon, they have friendlier Return Policy.

Definitely true. I would never buy a screen from Newegg, as much as I love them. They simply have a terrible return policy regarding stuck/dead pixels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back