Happy 25th Birthday to OK Computer.
May 21, 2022 at 12:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Blotto80

100+ Head-Fier
71qtTEW46SL._AC_SL1200_.jpeg

On May 21st 1997 Radiohead released their third studio album Ok Computer and began their pivot from the early guitar driven Pablo Honey and The Bends into their experimental electronic sounds that would reach full fruition with the 2000 release of Kid A. OK Computer bridged those styles masterfully and straddled the line that allowed it to be accessible to their existing fans while foreshadowing the sea change that was looming at the turn of the century.

From the opening guitar jangle on Airbag quickly undercut by a processed beat, you knew this wasn't what you expected from a Radiohead album followed by Paranoid Android which 25 years later stands shoulder to shoulder with giant rock epics like Bohemian Rhapsody or Shine on you Crazy Diamond.

The dreamy one-two punch of Subterranean Homesick Alien and Exit Music (for a film) follow and culminate with a driving bass line in Exit Music that remains one of my favourite moments in music. Let Down and Karma Police round out the rest of the first half of the album with a more subdued, traditional Radiohead vibe until the ending swirl of Karma Police leads into the digitized voice of the intermission diatribe Fitter Happier that grimly calls out consumerism and corporate dystopianism in a vague nod to Irving Welsh's Choose Life rant from Trainspotting.

We're awakened from that brief lull by the chimey intro to Electioneering before it jolts you with raw energy that had yet to be fully displayed on this disc. As it continues its descent into chaos you're reminded that there's something different going on here and OK Computer isn't what you were expecting.

The dark, ethereal sounds of Climbing up the Walls continues to keep you guessing and is a stark contrast to the light and dreamy nature of No Surprises which in itself juxtaposes its cheery sound with lyrics detailing a dreary existence.

The album inches towards its finale with Lucky which thematically continues from Airbag with a more triumphant rise from a brush with death.

The conclusion of OK Computer takes the form of The Tourist and ends on an message that reminding us to enjoy what we're here for. The chime at the end reminisces of a hypnotist ending his session and asking his subjects to awaken and return to our lives with the message of the last 53 minutes and 21 seconds embedded in our psyche.

I was 16 when this CD came out and I have extremely vivid memories of rushing out on the day it released and buying it. I popped it in my discman and rode the bus home unaware that Radiohead had just shifted the needle so far in another direction that the era of Brit-Rock was effectively over.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2022 at 3:20 PM Post #2 of 2
my fav. album

Users who are viewing this thread

Back