Gym-Fi Disappointment: Sennheiser MX 85 Sport II Earbuds (Review)
Dec 28, 2008 at 9:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

idunno

100+ Head-Fier
Well, here's my first review on Head-Fi; the Senn MX 85 Sport II earbuds. I had planned to do a thorough review with a comparison to my Yuin PK2's, but am so disappointed with the MX 85's that I've decided to give up. I know I'm not alone in looking for earbuds suited to exercise, so I thought I'd share my experience thus far. I'm no expert in describing audio, so I hope you'll bear with me.

Out of the box, the MX 85's sounded horrendous, but a few hours burn-in settled them down dramatically. For good measure, I plugged them into my home rig and gave them about 50 hours of burn-in. I didn't notice any changes after about 30 hours, so I think they're fully burned-in. For what it's worth, they did seem to improve somewhat with amplification, but my review is based upon their unamped performance, since I prefer to travel light when exercising.

This review is based upon listening with my Cowon i7 as source, with 320kbs lame mp3. None of the i7's “sound enhancements” were used, except where specifically noted.

3145351506_e60fc249c6.jpg

3145351038_d71c67d8a7.jpg

Sound Quality

Lows are boomy and smeared, and a bit fatiguing. Mids are deeply recessed. Highs are passable but nothing to write home about. Overall sound goes beyond dark into the range of muddy, with a general lack of detail and energy. Soundstage is shallow and dense, with the exception of how vocals sometimes seem to be in a different room than you and the instruments.

Experimentation with EQ settings (pushing the mids and highs) balanced the sound signature out a bit, reducing some of the bass fatigue and bringing the vocals into the same room, but did nothing to improve the detail or energy.

Removing the foamies reduces some of the muddiness, but the overall sound is somewhat thinner and harsher. Somehow, without the foamies these things manage to be both dark and overly bright. For me, the foamies were also necessary for fit and overall comfort.

Fit

The “twist-to-fit” system is nothing less than ingenious. This is essentially an arm with a pad on the end of it, which reaches up above the earbud itself. The pad braces against part of your ear, and you twist the whole assembly around in your ear until you find a stable position. The MX 85's are quite versatile in terms of fit; there are three different sizes of pads for the arms, two different widths of rings for the earbuds, and the foamies. For me, the medium pads, small rings, plus foamies, were just right. Senn also provides a clip to secure the cord to your shirt, to further reduce movement in the system. The MX 85's stay in place better than any earbud I've ever worn.

Isolation

The MX 85's provide little to no isolation, which to me is the point; I don't feel safe moving around while isolated from my environment. (Not to mention that IEM bone conduction drives me nuts).

Build

The MX 85's are solidly built and seem to be up to pretty much anything you can throw at them. I haven't tried running them under the faucet, though Senn claims they're washable. The cord is rubbery, and as such exhibits some limited microphonics. The rubbery cord and the weird shape of the MX 85's do lead to more tangling than most other earbuds I've used. Note that the cord is a J-type, and Senn claims that the long right side cord should be worn behind the head.

Conclusion

I had high hopes for the MX 85's, which seem to have been misplaced. Yes, the fit is fantastic, but the sound is disappointing to say the least. At this point, I've decided that I'd rather risk damage to my PK2's than listen to the MX 85's any further. I think that the idea of a clip to help reduce movement, and thereby keep the earbuds in place better, has potential to help the PK2's (not sure why I didn't try that sooner), but my search for decent Gym-Fi will continue. Any chance Senn would license the twist-to-fit design to Yuin?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 28, 2008 at 10:25 PM Post #2 of 5
The looks of it .. horrible. It looks like it's been designed for a 4year old kid.

Dec 28, 2008 at 10:34 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by R3SET /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The looks of it .. horrible. It looks like it's been designed for a 4year old kid.

lol. too true. I just tend to think that when I'm sweating hard, ugly earphones are the least of my problems.
regular_smile .gif

Dec 28, 2008 at 11:32 PM Post #4 of 5
I bought a pair of the similar the model, the 55s, for cheap from Amazon on a lark. The sound is OK at best, the fit comes and goes. I much prefer my Sony behind the neck phone at the gym (MDR-G61). Except the Sony phones are starting to deteriorate (they are pretty old, so I have little to beef about really). Actually, I would be interested in some thoughts on good behind the neck phones for gym use to replace the old Sony's. Guess I can start using my Sennheiser PX100's, but for gym use I kind of like the behind the neck approach. It gets a bit less sweaty than an over the head design.

Dec 28, 2008 at 11:59 PM Post #5 of 5
I've enjoyed some behind the neck designs in the past, and have been tempted to try the iGrado. I'm just hesitant about anything with big pads that might get really nasty when soaked with sweat, hence the appeal of earbuds.

Aside from my big sweat-soaked pad concerns, clip-ons are another option. I'm eagerly awaiting reviews of the final/official realease of the Yuin G2, which might be just the ticket. In the meantime, I think that I need to waste $15 in order to understand the hubub over the ksc75.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back