Guitar Amp Mod?
Jan 15, 2009 at 3:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

RedSox

100+ Head-Fier
Well, I have this portable guitar amp and I'm wondering if I can somehow use it as a headphone amp, even if it requires a mod.

Also, I have a full-size guitar amp. Can I use that as a headphone amp?

Thanks.

Jan 16, 2009 at 2:22 AM Post #3 of 4
There are stereo guitar amps.

Leaving that aside, many guitar amps are deliberately designed to induce distortion of the guitar signal when overdriven, especially if it is a tube amp. Solid state amps often attempt to emulate that overdriven distortion sound. Guitar signal distortion can sound cool, and it is a familiar tone to most rock fans. This is precisely the opposite of what you strive to do in home or portable audio for critical listening. You strive to find an amp that will reproduce your recorded music accurately. Distortion is by definition not reproducing the input signal accurately.

In summary,

1) guitar signal distortion by amp = pleasant for many of us
2) DAP or home audio source signal distortion by amp = bad sounding.

Don't use a guitar amp for driving headphones while listening to a home or portable audio source. BTW, your little Danelectro is fun, but there's no way that will reproduce music accurately. It will sound like crap through that amp. I have a mini Fender that is about the same size, and it's fun, but it's mostly a toy to fool around with, or sometimes a cute little travel amp that packs easily for practice when away from home. That's it.

Jan 16, 2009 at 2:31 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Will2007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are stereo guitar amps.

Leaving that aside, many guitar amps are deliberately designed to induce distortion of the guitar signal when overdriven, especially if it is a tube amp. Solid state amps often attempt to emulate that overdriven distortion sound. Guitar signal distortion can sound cool, and it is a familiar tone to most rock fans. This is precisely the opposite of what you strive to do in home or portable audio for critical listening. You strive to find an amp that will reproduce your recorded music accurately. Distortion is by definition not reproducing the input signal accurately.

In summary,

1) guitar signal distortion by amp = pleasant for many of us
2) DAP or home audio source signal distortion by amp = bad sounding.

Don't use a guitar amp for driving headphones while listening to a home or portable audio source. BTW, your little Danelectro is fun, but there's no way that will reproduce music accurately. It will sound like crap through that amp. I have a mini Fender that is about the same size, and it's fun, but it's mostly a toy to fool around with, or sometimes a cute little travel amp that packs easily for practice when away from home. That's it.

Sweet, thanks for all of the information. That's pretty much the conclusion I'd drawn... I'll just keep using my amps for what they're meant for. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back