Guitar + Amp + Headphones
Jan 4, 2018 at 8:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

MarkoSt

New Head-Fier
I got a question.

I play Fender Strat with Marshall Amp DSL40C.

As you can imagine when I play it I can`t hear myself like the audience.

Any advice on the Headphones that would give the audience experience?

Jan 4, 2018 at 11:59 AM Post #2 of 5
Are you trying to simulate the sound of a hall just for yourself? Or are you just wanting to monitor accurately? The first would require some sort of DSP hall ambience. The second would just be a good set of cans with lots of isolation.

Jan 5, 2018 at 11:21 AM Post #4 of 5
I'd suggest running it through some sort of hall ambience DSP then.

Jan 6, 2018 at 3:53 AM Post #5 of 5
I would like to simulate how it would be for me if I was in the audience.

The suggestion by @bigshot of running your sound through a DSP (reverb) could work but there are a couple of considerations:

1. Reverbs roughly simulate rooms. It's not really how it would sound if you were in the audience but it's likely to be close enough.

2. There are various ways you could apply this reverb but many of them won't work. Taking the signal from your amp, into your computer (or ADC and then computer) and applying reverb with a plugin could be a cheap (even free) method but probably won't work. This is because you'll get a delay (called "latency") between you playing a note on your guitar and then hearing it in your headphones (out of your computer). The amount of this latency will likely be very off-putting, to the point that most musicians wouldn't be able to play properly. The way most likely to work would be to use a guitar FX pedal which includes a reverb. You'll still get some latency but obviously guitar pedals are specifically designed to be used by live guitarists, so they're optimised with a far lower latency which is unlikely to be "off-putting".

Not all guitar pedals are created equal (or have the same latency) and a simple DSP reverb might not be exactly what you're after, so I'd strongly advise trying before buying!

G

Users who are viewing this thread

Back