GUIDE: Dolby Headphone in MPC & Zoom Player
Apr 17, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #46 of 57
Nov 9, 2013 at 12:08 AM Post #47 of 57
Apologies for the grave-dig.  I just got this working in both Foobar and MPC but it doesn't seem to work with 7.1 surround content, only 5.1.  Is it just me or is this just a limitation of the (current) implementation?

Nov 9, 2013 at 12:17 AM Post #48 of 57
  Apologies for the grave-dig.  I just got this working in both Foobar and MPC but it doesn't seem to work with 7.1 surround content, only 5.1.  Is it just me or is this just a limitation of the (current) implementation?

Well, I can't seem to find any 7.1 content on my computer, so I can't help you there. However, if you haven't already, I do recommend giving Razer Surround a try. I know some people here have been ****ting on it, but personally I think it's alright. Plus it plays 5.1 FLAC content without freezing up the video.

Nov 9, 2013 at 2:08 AM Post #49 of 57
I remember that software, but it was pay-for so I just ignored it before.  Currently however they're allowing you to download for free until Dec. 31, so I gave it a whirl.

To be honest I've no idea why people are hating on it, because I actually like its results better than Dolby Headphone!  Not only does it work for 7.1 surround, but since it works as an actual sound driver it works for any surround audio source.  Also if you turn off all the post-processing stuff, the audio quality sounds much less butchered than what Dolby Headphone does - this is particularly useful for stereo audio sources.

For anyone that cares, I'm using the ever-so-famous (white 9963) "Enhanced Bass" Monoprice IEMs.  These IEMs are quite well-known for their wide sound-stage, so in the Razer Configurator I had to actually manually reduce the sound-stage.  For headphones I selected "Hammerhead Pro", and for calibration I moved the front left & right 5 clicks from being as forward as possible while moving the rear left & right back by 5 clicks.

EDIT: Ah, I think I know why people are hating.  I just did a waveform recording and comparison between Razer Surround with it on and with it off and used a non-loudness war-victim stereo song (Clannad visual novel actually >_>) as a guinea pig.  It turns out that Razer Surround seems to boost the treble, and I know that head-fi definitely has its share of bass-heads.  Personally I'm not a bass-head at all, so I didn't really notice nor care all that much.  It may also be because the Monoprice IEMs are known to roll off the highs a bit, so boosting the trebles some may actually help.

EDIT 2: From some testing it would seem that enabling Razer Surround's 'Stereo Enhancement' also helps reign-in the treble-boost somewhat, so if you're "allergic" to treble then that may be relevant.  However I think it also reduces the bass a little bit as well, though not as much as the treble.

EDIT 3: For whatever crazy reason whenever a song stops playing in Foobar, Razer Surround's CPU utalize skyrockets for a couple seconds to the point of making my PC hang for those few seconds.  This does not happen if a song is set to loop unless I hit the stop button manually or I actually close Foobar completely, and then said CPU spiking will occur.

Nov 9, 2013 at 10:42 AM Post #50 of 57
Huh, interesting. Thanks for finding some hard evidence about that. The quirks that I really dislike about Razer Surround are all driver related: (1) it always likes to set itself as the default device, and (2) switching between it and another sound device will sometimes cause stuff to get "stuck" and not play in the new device (e.g., HTML5, Flash, Skype, MPC-HC).

Personally, I switch back to my default device (USB DAC) when playing stereo stuff (Maiko on Winamp doesn't like Razer Surround at all). I never got around to fixing the default device issue, so I just leave it on when watching videos in MPC-HC (the audio is lossy anyway). But if anyone is interested, I do have a (slightly buggy) task tray app for switching audio devices: https://github.com/xvz/DefaultAudioChanger. Probably only works for Win 7 x64 though.

Nov 9, 2013 at 3:57 PM Post #51 of 57
Well I just use the same audio device for Razer Surround as I do without it.  As blasphemous as it sounds I only use headphones and I have said headphones plugged directly into my soundcard on the back of my PC.

Therefore, in order to enable and/or disable Razer Surround all I need to do is right-click the tray icon and can enable/disable "Virtual Aduio Device" from the right-click menu.

BTW, there's a wonky on-screen glitch where the text popup saying "Razer Synamps 2.0 Configurator" ends up stuck on-screen.  It's however easy to "fix", all you need to do is just right-click on the Razer Surrond tray icon again - you don't even have to select anything after that.

Mar 25, 2016 at 4:16 PM Post #52 of 57
2016 bump

Does anyone have the files needed for this please. The original Megaupload link is not working.

Edit. Do we still need to follow these settings for dolby headphone to work correctly in MPC?

Mar 26, 2016 at 12:53 AM Post #53 of 57
See if the 2shared one has what you want: http://www.head-fi.org/t/405417/guide-dolby-headphone-in-mpc-zoom-player/30#post_8971211
I also had this locally, might be newer: http://www51.zippyshare.com/v/192Tjpq3/file.html

Probably still the same steps to get it to work. It's super finicky/support is spotty so I've stuck to Razer Surround---good enough for 5.1ch videos and the "Surround on/off" works now.

Mar 26, 2016 at 1:18 AM Post #54 of 57
So if you have a software like Razer surround or a hardware version of Dolby headphone then you don't need to follow those steps in MPC, correct?

I have a Xonar U3 with Dolby headphone and thought that I was doing it all wrong, when I came across another dolby headphone thread somewhere.

Anyway thanks for the link. Its still quite good as I can use it on my laptop where there is no Dolby headphone.

Mar 26, 2016 at 1:35 AM Post #55 of 57
Yeah. Razer Surround provides a virtual audio device that simulates surround via software. It will work for all sources (games, movies, music, etc.). I don't own any hardware with Dolby headphone but I would imagine you just need (at most) the driver software to enable the surround function (again for all sources).

Mar 12, 2022 at 11:42 PM Post #57 of 57
Another follow-up after many more years – the Cyberlink Audio Decoder might just be the only way to get the Dolby Virtual Speaker (DVS) software solution that works on any 2.0 systems, rather than only Dolby licensed ones which may be expensive/not very good. Turns out that PowerDVD Ultra 7.3.3319 might be the last place on the Internet where you can find such a fully functioning copy of the decoder; it’s available on various sites, make sure to activate it with a key so that the claud.sim doesn’t disable the decoder. Others have recommended a different build of PDVD 7.3, but I couldn’t find it anywhere, digital copy or physical. I spent the entire night looking for a version that works – the previous one I’ve been using only has a partially working CL Virtual Speaker (only L/R channels were rendered), even though the Dolby Headphones on it has worked well for years. Hope this helps anyone trying to get DVS to work on a PC. The effect is truly mind-blowing even on $20 speakers. There is no replacement for DVS or DH even in 2022.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back