Green mean nanomachines
Oct 28, 2009 at 2:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

MrGreen

Headphoneus Supremus
A report was issued the other day by some whackjob saying that immortality is 20 years off because of the advances being made in nanotechnology. Obviously there are other implications for resetting the genetic code with nanobots such as a cure for cancer, but what about a cure for hearing loss and maybe even tinnitus?

How much do you think it is on the cards and do you think you will get it done (if you can afford it)?

Oct 28, 2009 at 9:16 PM Post #2 of 8
I don't know about immortality, but there is some crazy technology out there that has not been released to the public. For example, I have a Japanese friend who "claims" that cell phone technology there is 6 years more advanced than what it is in the US. Not sure how true that is, but I don't doubt that someone out there is on the verge of discovering a cure for hearing loss.

Oct 28, 2009 at 9:27 PM Post #3 of 8
The reason parts of China and Japan have this great phone service is due to the age of the cell phone tower setup. When I was there in 2003 they had video phones working. USA has a premade system as we got ours up and running 11 or more years ago. It would cost too much to change the towers for this new signal.

Oct 30, 2009 at 1:36 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by mgrewe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know about immortality, but there is some crazy technology out there that has not been released to the public. For example, I have a Japanese friend who "claims" that cell phone technology there is 6 years more advanced than what it is in the US. Not sure how true that is, but I don't doubt that someone out there is on the verge of discovering a cure for hearing loss.

I've heard they have phones that come charged with 10 billion yen.

Oct 30, 2009 at 4:07 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redcarmoose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The reason parts of China and Japan have this great phone service is due to the age of the cell phone tower setup. When I was there in 2003 they had video phones working. USA has a premade system as we got ours up and running 11 or more years ago. It would cost too much to change the towers for this new signal.

Telephony experts can correct me on this, but it was my understanding the superiority of cell phone service outside the U.S. (compared to within the U.S.) was the early adoption of uniform network standards across national borders. Our worship of the free-market resulted in worse service at a higher price.

Oct 30, 2009 at 5:00 PM Post #6 of 8
If you can make a blind man see by hooking a cam up into his brain, why not just do the same with a mic?
tongue.gif

Oct 30, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #7 of 8
In the Neal Stephenson novel The Diamond Age, they have phased array playback devices that are installed like a thin coating on your eardrums.
smily_headphones1.gif
The ultimate in neutral open cans.

Nov 1, 2009 at 6:03 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGreen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A report was issued the other day by some whackjob saying that immortality is 20 years off because of the advances being made in nanotechnology.

Sounds like the work of Ray Kurzweil, a proponent of the technological singularity hypothesis that assumes logarithmic growth of development in science and technology will allow for nanotech, artificial lifeforms/intelligences, custom dna and artificial organs, etc. A bit on the crazy side, nonetheless it is some inspired futurism.

Restoring hearing shouldn't be a problem, we already have cochlear implants that have the potential to enable hearing in most cases of deafness. Nanotechnology will help, but these advancements are already being made on the micro scale. Assuming that neural interfaces will become sophisticated to the point of mimicking the full range of nerve impulses, the human brain can adapt to any number of sensory augmentations. Forget the 20-20,000 limit, we'll be able to beat whales and their stupid clickity songs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back