Great MD package deal!
Sep 1, 2001 at 10:33 AM Post #2 of 7
nice kit, but they forgot to include some decent earbuds...

the Otter Box looks pretty cool tho, bit more economically sized than a Pelican case
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 4, 2001 at 2:52 PM Post #4 of 7
This MD is supposed to play every bit as well as Sharp's more expensive recorders and can also be had for 139$ at ecost.com.

MDLP is a feature you might miss with the unit, however. It doubles the capacity, I believe, for marginal sound degradation. MDLP 4 is supposed to be poor, but quadrouples it.

I've mentioned this before, but riding in with it this morning using the ER-4P's (ampless) and listening to some DG Scarlatti piano recording, I was making use of what I argue are some of the least tarnishing EQ bass settings available on portables.

BTW, if anyone can recomend a good mic for MD, I am all ears
smily_headphones1.gif
. I need to record accousticly, which was the original reason for going MD in the first place.

TIA,
CWW

Sep 4, 2001 at 5:49 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

MDLP is a feature you might miss with the unit, however. It doubles the capacity, I believe, for marginal sound degradation. MDLP 4 is supposed to be poor, but quadrouples it.

MDLP is the system. LP2 gives you twice as much capacity with a bit of quality loss (still as good as 192k or 256k MP3). LP4 gives you four times the capacity, with significant quality loss (a bit better than 96k MP3, equivalent to some 128k MP3.

Quote:

BTW, if anyone can recomend a good mic for MD, I am all ears . I need to record accousticly, which was the original reason for going MD in the first place.

Sound Professionals makes some great mics for MD recorders.

Sep 8, 2001 at 5:49 PM Post #6 of 7
MDLP (IMHO):

SP - differences between SP and source material are so slight as to be unnoticeable (at least to my old ears).

LP2 - OK for non-critical music recordings, i.e. backround music, excecising music, party mix, etc.

LP4 - unacceptable for music, fine for voice recordings (lectures, etc.).

Sep 17, 2001 at 9:57 PM Post #7 of 7
I recorded some vocal stuff in LP4 and I've noticed something very wrong with it on my Sony R900 MD. When someone is speaking only on one track (say the left track) I get a serious glitch where I hear the voice -- broken up, static-like -- intermittantly centered in the stereo mix. It's like the compression can't deal with audio only on the one channel and during compression it shoots an echo/image of the person talking across the signal. Very weird and very annoying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back