Grado earpads query
Jul 28, 2009 at 2:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

aimlink

Headphoneus Supremus
My new Grado SR325is are surprisingly good for the price. I was very pleasantly surprised.

Unfortunately it falls not in sound, but in comfort. It's quite heavy for one and quite uncomfortable to wear for long periods.

Any suggestions on how to make these babies more comfortable?

Are the giant earpads featured on HeadRoom's site the same as what comes with the stock SR325is?

Jul 28, 2009 at 3:59 AM Post #2 of 10
Yes, those are the same as the stock pads.

Jul 28, 2009 at 6:09 AM Post #3 of 10
couple things you can do...

Wash the pads in a light soapy warm water, this should soften up the material.

You can also stretch the headband out alittle bit, so it doesnt clamp on your ears. However, be aware as i noticed this with my RS1, if you bend it to far, you will not get a proper seal to your ear, which makes the music sound a tad tinny and bassless. Just push them to your ear and back them off a bit and you will see what i mean.

It does take some getting use to to wear grados. It took me a few months. However, once you get the pads soft and the headband broken in, it will be alittle more comfortable.

Jul 28, 2009 at 11:29 AM Post #4 of 10
I think the fit is fine but as you say, my pinnas need to become accustomed to having the part of the Grados not covered by sponge, being in contact with it.

I don't have a problem with the sponge part. It's not too bad. However, the inner clear plastic part covering the driver housing is in contact with my ears.

Maybe it's the Grado way of saving your hearing. You can't wear them for too long.
regular_smile .gif

Jul 28, 2009 at 12:51 PM Post #5 of 10
I just wore them until my ears got used to 'em. Now I can wear them for hours.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 28, 2009 at 2:13 PM Post #6 of 10
Grab some HD414 pads, cut a hole in them and put them on reverse. Sounds great!

Jul 28, 2009 at 4:41 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by moogoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just wore them until my ears got used to 'em. Now I can wear them for hours.
smily_headphones1.gif

Ok. I'll continue with it.... No mods.

Jul 28, 2009 at 10:27 PM Post #8 of 10
Slightly bending the headband gave the best results with my SR80s, but then again the 80s are plastic and so much lighter than the 325is version. As with most problems, just give it time.
Kevin

Jul 29, 2009 at 12:59 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok. I'll continue with it.... No mods.

As long as your ears aren't bleeding or anything that's what I'd recommend. Part of that time is probably your ears developing callouses, the other the pads softening up from skin oils and use.

Jul 29, 2009 at 5:54 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by moogoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As long as your ears aren't bleeding or anything that's what I'd recommend. Part of that time is probably your ears developing callouses, the other the pads softening up from skin oils and use.

I am on a program of acclimatisation. 1-2 hr sessions to prevent bleeding.
jecklinsmile.gif

I see the 3.5 bar rating on HeadRoom and think it's perhaps fair considering the level of discomfort that goes with these cans. However, I'd give them a resounding 5 bars based just on the sound when plugged into the microstack. The sound is the best bang for buck I've heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back