Good quality vinyl equipment expensive?
Aug 1, 2005 at 7:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

JLanguage

New Head-Fier
Source: Sansui SR-2050C Automanual turntable
Receiver: Sansui 771
Speakers: Sansui SP-5500X (Pair)

On the many records I've tested there is a ton of hissing and popping and the audio quality generally sounds very poor at louder volumes. Certainly much worse than even 128 kbps mp3s. What is at fault here? The quality of the vinyl? The receiver? I know it's not the speakers because they're very clean when playing CDs or DVDs. Should I try getting a new vinyl pre-amp for my Onkyo HT-R410?

Thanks,
-Jonathan.

Aug 2, 2005 at 2:17 AM Post #2 of 4
What condition is the stylus in? What condition are the records in? How are you cleaning them? I noticed a ton of improvement after using a record cleaning machine and some Vinyl Zyme record cleaning solution.

Aug 2, 2005 at 4:12 AM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen
What condition is the stylus in? What condition are the records in? How are you cleaning them? I noticed a ton of improvement after using a record cleaning machine and some Vinyl Zyme record cleaning solution.

Haven't tried any cleaning yet, is there a cheap solution I could use?

Aug 2, 2005 at 12:21 PM Post #4 of 4
There are some inexpensive cleaning procedures, however you do get what you pay for to a certain extent. Vacuum cleaning seems to be preferred since it removes residue. The cheapest vacuum record cleaning machine I've seen is the KAB USA EV-1. I use that with Vinyl Zyme from Todd. There are even less expensive solutions but I've found that they don't do as good a job. You can buy the Stanton or Discwasher cleaning kits. You'll also want some kind of carbon fiber brush to remove dust.

I'd ask Todd for some additional advice. Cleaning will definitely improve the sound of your records.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back