Good portable amp ?
Oct 4, 2001 at 4:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

johnnylexus

500+ Head-Fier
I'm real new to this stuff. I just bought the PJB100 and it sounds pretty good but not GREAT using Sony earbuds and MDRv6's.

I'm thinking about the HeadRoom lineup of Total Airhead vs. Supreme vs. Cosmic. There's a pretty huge difference in prices and I wondered if you can really hear the difference between these things, etc.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Johnny Lexus

Oct 4, 2001 at 4:53 AM Post #2 of 13
First off, great choice for a portable! Tyll Hertsens, president of Headroom has the exact same player for his main portable rig (that should tell you something right there
smily_headphones1.gif
). He also uses the Total Airhead with it, mainly for the added portability over the Cosmic or supreme. Chances are that's all the portable amp you'll need for the V6's or earbuds. Besides, then you can get the sweet Headroom pjb portable bag! I've played with that setup, and man, let me tell you, I want one bad.

Oct 4, 2001 at 12:42 PM Post #3 of 13
Thanks for the advice. The pictures of the PJB bag on the headroom website make it hard to see how the PJB and the amp fit together inside the bag. It almost looks like the amp would "bump" into the display on the PJB. Also, it doesn't say anything about openings for cables and such if you want to listen while walking, etc. More feedback, please.

Oct 4, 2001 at 3:32 PM Post #4 of 13
Actually I just got one, it's a pretty good bag. There are two compartments (three if you count the pocket on the outside) and it would be safe to store an amp and a PJB in there. The zipper pulls are a little bit jingly for walking with it but I think it will be great for flying.

The zippers are the kind with two pulls on each track so there can be an opening out of each compartment wherever you choose to make the ends meet.

Oct 5, 2001 at 2:30 AM Post #7 of 13
gorgon, you do have to use the headphone jack for lineout purposes.

what is a Cmoy amp? Why is it better than others?

I'm guessing these little amps don't have bass/treble knobs. The PJB is pretty *bright* .... it would be nice to be able to turn the treble down a bit.

Oct 5, 2001 at 2:36 AM Post #8 of 13
the cmoy is a type of amp created by, well, cmoy - founder of the original, tho now slightly aging, headphone forum (headwize).

It is a very good all-purpouse beginner's amp...and is VERY cheap.

Generally, the cmoy is considered to outperform the TA.

I have a CHA47 variation on the cmoy, optimised for low-imp. headphones, like my Senn. 495s
biggrin.gif

It is VERY clear, with nice, tight, tho not very powerful, bass.

Also - search around, and you'll prolly be able to find a "dark" encoder .... perhaps that'll solve your brightness issue.

Happy listening
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 5, 2001 at 5:31 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by coolvij
...Also - search around, and you'll prolly be able to find a "dark" encoder .... perhaps that'll solve your brightness issue.

How about the Corda Analoguer-1 @ Meier Audio??
Cheers!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 5, 2001 at 3:33 PM Post #10 of 13
well kwkarth, that might be a little overboard for a portable system
smily_headphones1.gif

johnnylexus, the TA's crossfeed circuit might reduce the treble to a level that you'd prefer. it has a filter to increase treble to compensate for the crossfeed circuit, but if you leave the filter off the treble probably would be reduced.

Oct 5, 2001 at 3:51 PM Post #11 of 13
Neruda, since when did TA's incorporate a filter to restore treble removed by the crossfeed? Mine's fairly new and I don't have that feature.

Oct 5, 2001 at 5:13 PM Post #12 of 13
Neruda: I thought only higher-up models from HeadRoom had the treble "restoration"...
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back