Good PCDP/MP3 player
Oct 2, 2001 at 2:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

purk

Headphoneus Supremus
Any good model for good pcdp/mp3 player. I have heard that Rio-Volt is quite good. How about Sony, aiwa, or Pana? Any of these available right now?

Oct 2, 2001 at 6:08 PM Post #2 of 14
here's a pic of the RioVolt SP250 MP3 CD player, which is apparently the latest and greatest out there. The original riovolt was the best so i guess the logic is that this one is just as good. No idea myself, i've only read a few things online about, haven't actually heard it. At $180 it won't break the bank though
smily_headphones1.gif

riovolt2.jpg

RioVolt SP90 MP3 CD player - $99. Why so cheap? it's the low-end riovolt... ie: no backlit screen, no radio (the 250 has am/fm), no remote, and the biggest problem: no upgradeable firmware (which would allow it to be compatible with new audio compression formats in the future).
riovoltSP90.jpg

TDK MOJO CD Digital Jukebox - ~$180 these days i think (not 100% sure). no firmware. it's ugly. but apparently a good player.
mojo.jpg

checkout out http://www.mp3.com and http://www.dmusic.com for reviews on these players (and more! woohoo). mp3.com also has a message board you can scour for more info! good luck finding what you're looking for!

Oct 2, 2001 at 6:11 PM Post #3 of 14
oh yeah: Aiwa has an mp3/cd player which is apparently a piece of crap. i don't think it even supports id3 tags making it pretty useless when you have hundreds of songs on a CD.

I read awhile back that Sony was coming out with an mp3/cd player in September... obviously that hasn't happened but it will probably be out for the xmas holidays shopping bonanza. (sony owns aiwa so they might just end up improving the existing player rather than starting from scratch..)

i don't think their are any pana mp3 players out yet... don't quote me on that though, i ain't none too sure!

Oct 2, 2001 at 6:23 PM Post #4 of 14
Gorgon, thanks for your reply. I believe that panasonic came out with cd/mp3 player. Crutchfield and panwebi.com carries this model. I believe the model is pana sl-mp50.
It's a promising player, but I doubt this model about their ability to show id3 tag, blacklit. Check it out and tell me what do you think.
Here is the link:
http://www.panwebi.com/products/port...er/sl-mp50.htm

Oct 2, 2001 at 6:26 PM Post #5 of 14
does any of you have the riovolt? I am wondering on the sound quality on this player. How does the sound quality compares to minidisc or regular cd player?

Oct 3, 2001 at 12:23 AM Post #7 of 14
Gorgon,

At first I was about to invest my dough on this pana, but then with out id3 tag, and blacklit display...I am not gonna.
Three months ago, I have read from somewhere that Sony will also come out with there own player also. According to the pictures I have see, this unit will support ID3 tag, and large blacklit LCD screen. Have you hear anything from Sony?
Thanks again.

Oct 3, 2001 at 12:44 AM Post #9 of 14
Modena,
Thanks....can i order one now? How much? Does it support ID3 tag?

Oct 3, 2001 at 12:48 AM Post #11 of 14
best-prices_1650_4810117

The Sony DC-J01

(i'm tryin to find some info on it)
some places have it for as low as $180 US (you can get it at www.wackodeals.com $180 , www.etronics.com $220 , www.aaaprice.com $220)

From wackodeals.com :
"Key Features: MP3 file on CD-R/RW disc play ability Dot Matrix LCD displays for all song titles and information CD-R/RW compatible Variable BIT Rate playback ability 16-320 Kbps 15 hour continuous playback of MP3 Disc with 2 "AA" batteries 30 hours playback of audio CDs Skip Free G-Protection Digital volume function Digital Mega Bass 64 random preset memory"

From Etronics.com:
"Product:
MP3 File on CD-R/RW Disc Playability provides playback of MP3 music files recorded onto either CD-R (writeable) or CD-RW (rewriteable) compact discs
Dot Matrix EL Backlit LCD Displays For All Song Titles and Information makes it much easier to see all music files on MP3 discs even if it's in another folder layer
CD-R/RW Compatible (Multi-Session Format Recorded) plays all compact discs including CD rewriteable and CD recordable; your own compilations from CD recorder deck or PC can be played on the unit, and it provides a great extension of ability to play network audio music from the Internet
Variable Rate Playback Ability- 16-320KBPS allows matching the playback sampling rate to different recording quality of MP3 files, from 16 to 320 kilobits per second
15 Hours Conitinious Playback w/ 2 "AA" Batteries (MP3 Mode), 30 Hours Continious Play in Normal Mode
Skip Free G-Protection Technology
Comes with improved mechanism for more protection against vertical shock, and a greatly advanced digital based system for more than 10-times-faster shock recovery compared to conventional systems, providing perfect playing performance without skipping even during such active uses as jogging
Direct Folder-Skip Function For Folder-Layer Construction Disc provides Direct Folder Skip button separate from normal FF/FR button to operate "fast forward/back" of "folders"
Virtual CD Changer Function at the Playback of MP3 Songs plays each separate folder as if it were a single CD, and allows skipping around among all folders to select and play individual tracks, just as if using a CD changer
Digital Mega Bass Sound System uses digital processing technology to produce rich, deep bass tones with extremely low harmonic distortion
11 Playback Modes with Folder Repeat Function gives you many predetermined choices in the playback of CDs, including hearing one track over and over, a selection of tracks in a desired order, tracks in Shuffle (random) order, and repeat play of one complete folder, just like the CD Repeat function on car CD changer
64 Track RMS Programming offers extraordinary ability for you to customize the order in which tracks on a CD are played
Track Loop Repeat provides seamless access to all tracks
2 Position Automatic Volume Limiter System (AVLS) maintains volume output at levels below distortion threshold for cleaner sound reproduction
Hand Strap helps you to grip unit and makes it easier to use during activity

Specifications:
D/A Conversion: 1 Bit quartz time-axis control
Frequency Response: 20-20000Hz, ±3dB
Inputs: DC-In 4.5V
Outputs: Headphone (stereo mini jack)
Power Requirements: DC 4.5V "AA" x 2 batteries
Battery Life (Approx.): 15 hours (MP3 Playback)/30 hours (CD Playback) with "AA" alkaline batteries x 2
Color: Silver
Dimensions (W x H x D): 5 1/8" x 1 1/8" x 5 33/8" (132 x 29.3 x 137.5mm)
Weight: 7 oz (200g) w/out batteries
Supplied Accessories:

AC-E455 AC Adapter
MDR-24 Stereo Headphones
Hand Strap
Optional Accessories:

AC-E45HG AC Adapter
DCC-E345 Car Battery Cord
RK-G129/RK-G136 Connecting Cord
SRS-Z1/Z1000 Active "

Wow....this was a reeeeally long message...sorry about that guys!
frown.gif
redface.gif
frown.gif

Oct 3, 2001 at 12:53 AM Post #12 of 14
Thanks for the picture, modena.
Odin, I don't think the kenwood player are that good, b/c they recieve some bad feedbacks from mp3.com. Well...I think I will save up some money and get the sony. It's a goegeous looking units, with blacklit ....
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 3, 2001 at 1:04 AM Post #13 of 14

Users who are viewing this thread

Back