GOOD Jazz recommendations
Feb 5, 2003 at 6:39 PM Post #106 of 118
Tommy actually made a trio recording in the 70's or 80's of Coltrane tunes entitled " Giant Steps ". He wanted another swipe at it. I play bass, and a piano player and I play Giant Steps in an uptempo 5/4 meter. Just for fun.

Feb 5, 2003 at 7:00 PM Post #107 of 118
My musical tastes are expanding, one area they are expanding into is Jazz. I picked up Kind of Blue and really enjoyed it. I was curious about more modern artists as well, for a relative Jazz newbie, what are some good places to start.

Scott

Feb 18, 2003 at 6:42 AM Post #108 of 118
I just picked up a copy of "Kind of Blue" at Costco today at an unbelieveable price of $7.99!!! At this kind of price, it's worth picking up extra copies to give to my friends.

And yes, it is the remastered version.

Zurg

Feb 18, 2003 at 3:16 PM Post #109 of 118
Quote:

Originally posted by Zurg
I just picked up a copy of "Kind of Blue" at Costco today at an unbelieveable price of $7.99!!! At this kind of price, it's worth picking up extra copies to give to my friends.

And yes, it is the remastered version.

Zurg

Damn, I paid $9.99 for mine at Target.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 18, 2003 at 3:24 PM Post #110 of 118
mikejazz,

I thought I had every Tommy Flanagan CD or record available but I do not have that one. Is it good? Hell, it would have to be good, it's Tommy Fanagan!

WHen was it released? What label?

Best
Brian

Feb 18, 2003 at 3:41 PM Post #112 of 118
Quote:

Originally posted by bkelly
mikejazz,

I thought I had every Tommy Flanagan CD or record available but I do not have that one. Is it good? Hell, it would have to be good, it's Tommy Fanagan!

WHen was it released? What label?

Best
Brian

Brian,

The "Giant Steps" mentioned above is on Enja. I heard it and it's quite good. You're right--anything by Tommy Flanagan is good.

Feb 18, 2003 at 3:55 PM Post #113 of 118
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio&Me
I've recently heard Diana Krall and thought very highly of it. I love Miles/Coltrane. But that's about as deep as my jazz knowledge goes. The thing is, a lot of the jazz that I've heard both live and on CD, is that they all sound the same, kind of tasteless. Is this mainstream? It seems as if everyone samples everyone elses work. What wonders me is that everyone else loves it (at the clubs and cafes). Could someone point me in the right direction? I'm looking for more stuff that sounds comparably good (different, but still really good) to Miles and Diana.

Try some Chick Corea, Pat Metheny, Al Dimeola, Jean Luc Ponty, Mike Stern, Billy Cobham, Tony Williams, Paquito D'Rivera, Arturo Sandoval, etc....these are some from the new jazz school, different but very good (some of them play a lot of standards), and from the old times, nothing to add to the previous lists, I think they list all of them, at least all that cross my mind now....BTW most of these recordings are pretty darn well made, almost considered as refference recordings to my ears, this musicians pay special attention to the way the recording is done IMO....

Feb 18, 2003 at 4:25 PM Post #114 of 118
Quote:

Originally posted by scottder
My musical tastes are expanding, one area they are expanding into is Jazz. I picked up Kind of Blue and really enjoyed it. I was curious about more modern artists as well, for a relative Jazz newbie, what are some good places to start.

Scott

If you're just getting into jazz, there are a lot of places/artists to start. Besides Coltrane (I recommend anthing he did on Atlantic), try Monk (especially the Prestige/Riverside stuff--utterly amazing), Sonny Rollins (Saxophone Colossus is one of the best albums ever made, period; also try "Way Out West" and "Worktime", both Prestige), all 1950s Miles (Prestige/Columbia), Armstrong (I really recommend his Hot Fives/Sevens, especially the JSP set--you can find it on Amazon. It's playing that defines everything, and it's never been touched. Just remember that the recordings are over 70 years old), and Ellington ("Far East Suite" on RCA, but also try the Blanton/Webster 1940s band).

You should also listen to some hard bop, especially that on the Blue Note label. Try Lee Morgan ("The Sidewinder), Sonny Clark, Hank Mobley, and my favorite, Jackie McLean.

If you are looking for something more modern, but in the same vein, try Joe Lovano as a start, but there are many others. If you are looking for something even more "modern" shoot me a PM.

Feb 18, 2003 at 4:46 PM Post #115 of 118
Sovkkiller,

Do not despair, once you get into it "all jazz does not sound alike". It is true that jazz is a musical language all its own and that it is continnually borrowing ideas from its history but there is much more to it than that.

Unfortunately, jazz is getting pretty far removed from the harmaonic basis so much of the music is based on. In other words, unless you are 100 years old you were probably not around when "I Got Rythgym" or "How High the Moon" was a current song and when the modern jazz players started using the chord structures from these songs to base their improvisations on. Today, with countless reharmonizations of these tunes and new "jazz tunes" being written with their own unique chord structure we are getting pretty far removed even from that era.

The only thing I can suggest is do everything you can to learn more about the make-up of jazz musically and it history and the great players. The fans of jazz music are a different breed and are generally very knowlkedgeable about the music.

You might also try listening to the underlying chord structure when an improvistaion is happening and try and pay attention to what the piano player (for an example) is playing and try and listen to what the soloist is playing against that.

This all takes awhile but in the end it is worth it. I actually know listeners that are so wise to what is happening that the musicians pay strict attention to what they have to say.

FJC,

As usual you are very wise. You should have let me know about this Tommy Flanagan thing. Is it out on CD and where do I get it?

Best
Brian

Best
Brian

Feb 18, 2003 at 5:08 PM Post #116 of 118
Quote:

Originally posted by bkelly
Sovkkiller,

Do not despair, once you get into it "all jazz does not sound alike". It is true that jazz is a musical language all its own and that it is continnually borrowing ideas from its history but there is much more to it than that.

Unfortunately, jazz is getting pretty far removed from the harmaonic basis so much of the music is based on. In other words, unless you are 100 years old you were probably not around when "I Got Rythgym" or "How High the Moon" was a current song and when the modern jazz players started using the chord structures from these songs to base their improvisations on. Today, with countless reharmonizations of these tunes and new "jazz tunes" being written with their own unique chord structure we are getting pretty far removed even from that era.

The only thing I can suggest is do everything you can to learn more about the make-up of jazz musically and it history and the great players. The fans of jazz music are a different breed and are generally very knowlkedgeable about the music.

You might also try listening to the underlying chord structure when an improvistaion is happening and try and pay attention to what the piano player (for an example) is playing and try and listen to what the soloist is playing against that.

This all takes awhile but in the end it is worth it. I actually know listeners that are so wise to what is happening that the musicians pay strict attention to what they have to say.

Best
Brian

Well I'm a rocker not a jazz lover, I like some jazz, but I'm not going to go into it, at least not that deep, to go to the 50's or even earlier, even when I consider, and listen, and like, some of the masterpieces, recorded during that era, and the swing era (I used to enjoy a lot Round Midnight by contrane/davis, just to mention one that cross my mind, the same as some Benny Goodman and Glenn Miller) but I preffer all that jazz that is a little more of this era, of my time, like the modern jazz/rock, fussion etc...a little more fresh sound, even when based on the classic jazz, but I like the sound of the modern instruments, electric guitars, shyntax, electric keyboards, etc...I left the classics to my dad.... one guy I love and forgot to mention before, is Allan Holdsworth
rolleyes.gif

Feb 18, 2003 at 5:39 PM Post #117 of 118
Unlike many of you, so it seems, I'm very into jazz vocalists especially female, so thought I'd list a few of my favorites you might want to check out. Jacqui Naylor (based in San Fran and not very well known but any of hers) is awesome, Holly Cole, Shirley Horn (Here's to Life is an incredible CD), Rebecca Paris, Stacey Kent, Gretchen Lieberum (3 am) just for starters.

Aug 6, 2004 at 7:52 PM Post #118 of 118
Just a few suggestions: Courtney Pine, Jaco Pastorius, Pat Metheny.

Didn't read this entire thread, so these may have already been mentioned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back