Good headphones that can be enjoyed without an amp/dac?
Sep 25, 2014 at 11:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

stud1

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I've been reading Head-Fi for a long time and based on the opinions here expressed I've almost become an audiophile 
tongue_smile.gif
 , bought some pieces (ATH-M50, Bose QC20, Koss PortaPro, Meelectronics 161p, Piston, UE Boom etc.), rockboxed my iPod Classic, downloaded a lot of FLACs instead of mp3s etc.

For the past few weeks I've been looking into some more expensive over-the-ear headphones (Fidelio X1, MDR-1RBT, Focal Classic, HD600...), mainly because the m50 hurts my ears, but I've came to the conclusion that those headphones would be an overkill for my setup (iPod Classic rockbox, Spotify @ 320kbps), I'm really an on-the-go guy, I most listen to music while commuting or travelling, while at home I rather watch a movie or read a book. I'm not the kind of person who dedicates serious time for music and, while on-the-go, despite owning a small Fiio amplifier, I don't carry it around, I just have too much in my pockets, so I'm usually listening to Spotify or to the iPod.

So, to sum it all up, is there any recommendation thread for this kind of need? Comfortable and easy to push? I am completely lost and started looking into some ANC headphones (Parrot Zik - 200 euros; QC25 - 300 euros) but, again, those seem too expensive for the sound quality they offer 
deadhorse.gif
. Although the Zik is extremely beautiful and apparently very comfortable.

Well...I am lost. Can anyone show me the light?

Sep 25, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #2 of 4
There may still be comfort issues but the Sennheiser Momentum is worth suggesting. Also the SoundMAGIC HP150 will be about right.

You could consider bluetooth also.

Sep 25, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #3 of 4
  I've been reading Head-Fi for a long time and based on the opinions here expressed I've almost become an audiophile 
tongue_smile.gif
 , bought some pieces (ATH-M50, Bose QC20, Koss PortaPro, Meelectronics 161p, Piston, UE Boom etc.), rockboxed my iPod Classic, downloaded a lot of FLACs instead of mp3s etc.
For the past few weeks I've been looking into some more expensive over-the-ear headphones (Fidelio X1, MDR-1RBT, Focal Classic, HD600...), mainly because the m50 hurts my ears, but I've came to the conclusion that those headphones would be an overkill for my setup (iPod Classic rockbox, Spotify @ 320kbps), I'm really an on-the-go guy, I most listen to music while commuting or travelling, while at home I rather watch a movie or read a book. I'm not the kind of person who dedicates serious time for music and, while on-the-go, despite owning a small Fiio amplifier, I don't carry it around, I just have too much in my pockets, so I'm usually listening to Spotify or to the iPod.
So, to sum it all up, is there any recommendation thread for this kind of need? Comfortable and easy to push? I am completely lost and started looking into some ANC headphones (Parrot Zik - 200 euros; QC25 - 300 euros) but, again, those seem too expensive for the sound quality they offer 
deadhorse.gif
. Although the Zik is extremely beautiful and apparently very comfortable.
Well...I am lost. Can anyone show me the light?

I just picked up some used audio Technica ATH-ESW9 and so far they are my preferred headphones for being on the move (or read a book at Starbucks).
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Used-Audio-Technica-ATH-ESW9-Earsuit-Portable-Wooden-Headphones-/331325284241?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item4d24869f91

Sep 25, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #4 of 4
I'd second the Sennheiser Momentums. AKG K545 would also be a good option, although they have quite a specific sound without a lot of bass. Sony MDR-1R are on the other end of the spectrum, and are hard to beat in terms of comfort.
The best thing you could do though, in my opinion, would be to actually try a couple of headphones out at some local shop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back