Good earplugs?
Jan 19, 2009 at 7:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

yensteel

New Head-Fier
Hi, I hope I posted in the right section.

Bridged:

My ears are sensitive. I use Alpine earplugs to protect my ears from bad sound. I'm interested in Hock's earplugs; mainly the custom mold version. What do you think? Experiences? Quality? Any other recommendations?

Full version:

My ears are a bit sensitive to loud blasting noises and high pitched noises, whether it's the screeching brakes of a bus (for me it makes my ears feel the vibration) or just a noisy place like a mall, or even clanging ceramic bowls while washing dishes.

I need to wear earplugs all the time outside most of the time, and I sometimes even wear them at home. I know it's mostly out of paranoia, but the occurrence of excessively loud sounds are frequent, and my ears would feel irritated and violated.

I currently use Alpine's MusicSafe Pro Alpine MusicSafe Pro, and they serve me pretty well for normal usages without any hindrances, like communications. I usually use the white filter, the one that has the lowest attenuation.

However, I decided that it's worth it to have custom ear molds so I can wear them more comfortably. Also, I liked the idea of a dynamic attenuator; no reduction for quiet sounds, and full reduction for loud sounds. The website does state that hearing someone talking is no problem, since it is designed primarily for that purpose. It's a bit like the hunter's earplugs.

That's how I stumbled across the Hock's Noise Brakers earplugs. Hocks Noise Brakers. I'm willing to shell out 120 US for a pair. I contacted a representative and they helped answer a lot of questions concerning the earplugs.

Has anybody tried it? How does it compare to custom-mold musicians earplugs in terms of quality and talking comprehension?

Jan 20, 2009 at 12:17 AM Post #2 of 10
Most of us use Etymotic ER-20s, but usually in a jamming/concert sort of context. I happen to use them as my everyday earplugs, when I go out to places likely to be noisy. Heavy traffic streets, the marketplace, constructions areas, etc. To my ears, they don't attenuate sound as well as do some of the soft foamies or the harder ribbed ones, but they do take the edge of most noises. The ER-20 remains my earplug of choice precisely because I can still hear people I'm talking to relatively clearly. It's just softer, not annoyingly muffled. Of course, there's some lip-reading going on, probably, but still. A good sight better than other universal earplugs I've tried. Sorry I've not answered your question about Hocks and customs, but I hope this helps some.

Jan 20, 2009 at 4:35 AM Post #3 of 10
Thanks anyway. I have found the Etymotic ER-20s in both mingo's (both wanchai and mongkok) and Kingsound once, but I didn't buy them at that time. The second time I came back to buy them for all three shops, they disappeared and I couldn't find them anymore.

Jan 20, 2009 at 6:19 AM Post #4 of 10
I have the Etys and find them pretty good. Great sound properties, I have used them playing in orchestra so far, but will be using them when I next go to a concert. It's just like turning the volume down. But they do sit quite deep in your ear canal and I find my ears are a little sore if I put them in and take them out a bit. So I'm not sure how they'd be for wearing all day. They are, however, probably good to try anyway for the price, before jumping into custom molds and such which I imagine can be quite pricey.

Jan 20, 2009 at 11:11 AM Post #5 of 10
I was already planning on buying the Etymotic earplugs before I posted this thread, just for testing and reviewing it.

I'm already familiar with the Baby Blues size, since I combined the tip with the Alpine filters. The hole is a bit smaller than the original Alpine tip's but there's no problems.

Thanks for the recommendation.

I already mailed the ear impressions and order form before creating this thread, but I was already feeling a bit of buyer's remorse, So I just wanted to make sure that the earplugs aren't bad by posting here.

Unfortunately, Nobody's tried the custom or normal versions of the Hock's Noise Brakers.

If you have, let me know.

Jan 20, 2009 at 8:29 PM Post #6 of 10
I like the baby blue Ety ear plugs. They seem to filter out the highs and low. I can even get away using them at parties. I too am very sensitive to certain high pitched noises e.g. babies crying, trumpets. Of the low cost varieties, the ety works the best.

Jan 20, 2009 at 11:54 PM Post #7 of 10
earplugstore_2036_95244505.jpg

I have used these for quite awhile for concerts. They're effective, they let the music in but cut the impact of the volume nicely (...and they're comfortable, durable, and reasonably priced)

QuietEar Variable Noise Reduction Ear Plugs<br><font size="2">Selective Noise Reduction Ear Plugs from HearTech</font> - Motorcycle Ear Plugs

Jan 21, 2009 at 6:57 AM Post #8 of 10
That store was where I bought the Alpine earplugs. They also offer the Hock's normal and custom Noise Brakers, but I contacted the company directly for more customization and service. I can have transparent plugs by doing so.

Even so, I didn't know about the QuietEar Variable Noise Reduction earplugs that you recommended. I was looking in the music and concert section. The one you recommended was in the motorcycle section.

Jan 21, 2009 at 10:14 PM Post #9 of 10
On the market today for regular day to day use the ety's are probably the best. If you are looking for longer life or use while sleeping/riding a motorcycle get yourself a set of half jacket style sleep plugs. You do have the muffled effect but they are hugely more effective and comfortable than other solutions.

Fit is everything in plugs.

Jan 21, 2009 at 10:20 PM Post #10 of 10
I had an audiologist, whom I trust, tell me the Etymotic ER-20s are good enough for concerts and the like and not to waste my money on custom ones. And I use my ears for work on a daily basis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back